PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
I want to try this but have to ask what's the point of taking the tin foil off after stoving and quickly replacing it with the lid? Why not leave it as is until the moisture is reabsorbed then put the two piece lid on?

Going to experiment with Wessex GVF first.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I want to try this but have to ask what's the point of taking the tin foil off after stoving and quickly replacing it with the lid? Why not leave it as is until the moisture is reabsorbed then put the two piece lid on?

Going to experiment with Wessex GVF first.
1) The foil is not air tight so the moisture will escape.

2) Replacing the lid while the contents are still hot draws a vacuum which seals the jar for storage.

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
After waiting two weeks to smoke it the day has finally arrived. A lot of the typical Virginia notes have moved into the background and what I taste the most is a caramel like sweetness supported by a little black tea and a creamy cigar like note on the retro. Very, very smooth, no bite at all. I think I prefer this to it fresh/unstoved.

Now curious to try this with some other blends. I'm thinking LBF will be my next experiment.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
After waiting two weeks to smoke it the day has finally arrived. A lot of the typical Virginia notes have moved into the background and what I taste the most is a caramel like sweetness supported by a little black tea and a creamy cigar like note on the retro. Very, very smooth, no bite at all. I think I prefer this to it fresh/unstoved.

Now curious to try this with some other blends. I'm thinking LBF will be my next experiment.
Makes it extremely enjoyable, doesn’t it? I’m glad that you like it. This is part of the fun with pipe smoking that no other form of [tobacco] smoking can offer.

Keep posting on this subject and share any Ah-Ha moments you find.

Apr 25, 2022
Ok, why stove at all? Laugh all you want I can take it. Are you guys not pleased with the way tobacco comes fresh from the pouch??
I just learning and fascinated in why youd do this ? Is it to bring out richer flavors that are hidden or is it for a more intense nicotIve hit y’all talk about ?
My dad raised gladiolus , at years end with four acres of them ,the bulbs were soaked in water and DDT! Yep he never got sick. But he treated a common build disease with liquid nicotine. The label on the bottles said “Kills Fleas”
Does logic dictate the more you stove top your tobacco ,youll be less susceptible to fleas? Haaa

Reactions: Peter Turbo
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Ok, why stove at all? Laugh all you want I can take it. Are you guys not pleased with the way tobacco comes fresh from the pouch??
I just learning and fascinated in why youd do this ? Is it to bring out richer flavors that are hidden or is it for a more intense nicotIve hit y’all talk about ?
My dad raised gladiolus , at years end with four acres of them ,the bulbs were soaked in water and DDT! Yep he never got sick. But he treated a common build disease with liquid nicotine. The label on the bottles said “Kills Fleas”
Does logic dictate the more you stove top your tobacco ,youll be less susceptible to fleas? Haaa
Here's an essay by Fred Hanna that might explain some of why people stove tobacco.

Reactions: AppalachianPipe92

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA

I enjoy stoved tobaccos so this made sense for me to experiment. There was nothing wrong with the blend I chose for stoving, I thought it could benefit from it and I think the results were worth the minimal effort involved in executing the process. Looking forward to doing it again.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
What does the room smell like while stoving?? Do I need to pre-plan my funeral in advance?
The aroma from the oven (freshly cleaned btw) and the jar afterwards was to die for. I only stoved 50g of Wessex GVF and I was shocked at how much odor it gave off. If I could capture that scent in candle form I would light those constantly. Capture that aroma as a fragrance I'd wear it every day.

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Has anyone tried doing this stoving process with English or Balkan tobaccos? I happen to have an extra few ounces of Balkan Supreme and am tempted to try unless the results would be thoroughly terrible, or even mediocre.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Has anyone tried doing this stoving process with English or Balkan tobaccos? I happen to have an extra few ounces of Balkan Supreme and am tempted to try unless the results would be thoroughly terrible, or even mediocre.
No, but now I want to try the same with some Balkan Supreme.

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
I remember stoving McClelland 5100 years ago. The resulting tobacco was changed a good bit, but not to my liking. It took all the rough edges off the red VA and muted it. However, I missed those rough edges and didn’t like it muted. As others have stated, stoving isn’t always an improvement.

Last summer I car-stoved some tobacco, by putting a couple of new fresh tins of Fillmore in my glove box for 6 weeks from mid-July through Aug in the Houston heat. The goal was to accelerate something like an aging process. The result was positive, although not dramatic. It was definitely smoother than a new tin and worth doing. I’d estimate it was like aging for 2 years.

I just finished doing the same from June through today with more Fillmore and a home blend VAper. Our June and July have been record setting heat, so I was too nervous to leave it any longer. I am putting a couple more blends in the truck today - a fresh tin of Capstan Blue sealed in mylar and a home blend of red VAs.

If you have a hot climate and want to try something more subtle than an oven, car-stoving is an option.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
This solves a mystery for me.

About twenty five or so years ago, during the cigar boom, I ordered a bundle of Philippine cigars from Thompson’s cigars.

When they arrived, they were nearly unsmokable. They tasted like shxt and smelled like fart. Just, horrible.

I gave 24 to my beloved old friend Jack. Jack would smoke anything, and like it.

Jack fired one up, gagged and pronounced them bad.

We were on my boat. I tossed them in a compartment and forgot about them.

One or two years, we were not quite sure, I cleaned out my boat. In the compartment were 23 utterly delicious, fantastic cigars.

They were stoved by the heat of the long summers and cold of the winters.

I still have a few in a humidor, and they have improved a little.

nolan613

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 21, 2019
Augusta, GA
There are very few tobacco blends that will not improve with age. Maybe that explains why I have close to 140 pounds of various blends that are between 15 and 30 years old.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

SunriseBoy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2021
Toowoomba
Fred J. Hanna described the process for baking tins in his book "The Perfect Smoke: Gourmet Pipe Smoking for Relaxation and Reflection" and a few members here gave it a go. Its less about aging and fermentation and more about caramelizing the sugars in the tobacco. The same effect can be done with tins by leaving them on a car dash in the hot sun.?
I've left a couple of 100g tins of Golden Sliced on the oil bar heater for a few hours. When they cooled, I opened one, and...whoa...smelt unbelievable. So the smoking of the same will be interesting.

Masterblaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2021
Evans, GA
Well couldn't help myself and had the stove some Sutliff Virginia slices that I picked up a few months ago that was just ho hum! The aluminum foil smells wonderful, but no real smell during the stoving process! Will report back in a couple weeks to see how it tasted! Will probably pick up some LBF and LNF to try next if this comes out good!