PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
I'm 38 and I have a life long interest in pipes.

Don't really know where it comes from, neither my father or grandfather where pipe smokers.

First pipe tobacco I smoked was Caledonian white, first english was Old Dublin.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
51. Tobacco user since age 16 minus the 17 years between the last cigarette and picking up the pipe in November of last year.

m6aeyds

Lurker
Aug 7, 2018
33 been smoking a pipe daily for 6 months and sporadically since I was 16. Don't think age should be a barrier to smoking pipes. If I was ever going to thank hipsters for anything it's that they have made certain things "cool" again...
Personally I like to think I'm somewhere between Jimmy Stewart in it's a Wonderful Life and Kevin Costner in JFK when I smoke a pipe but I'm probably more of a ginger Popeye :)

arvetus

Might Stick Around
Jul 29, 2018
39 currently...less than 6 mo to the 4-0.

Never smoked cigarettes, but enjoy the occasional cigar. Just started experimenting with the pipe, but still intend to keep it an occasional enjoyment...but no promises. :) I've already bought 2 new briars, an estate, a handful of cobs and about 7 different types of stuff to try. I've already found an estate poker I'm in love with that I'm toying with buying. :crazy:

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Fifty something
Working on the bucket list and legacy project

joshb

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2015
I'm about to be 31, was gifted an old Kaywoodie about 5 years ago but only steadily smoking the pipe for about two years now. Hopefully I won't stop till im dead.

viesturs

Lurker
Aug 27, 2018
66 started puffing seriously about 6 years ago but did smoke pipe on and off over time. Still have my dads old bulldog pipe , have no idea who made it but can still be used.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Old enough so that when I went downtown with my parents during the winter holidays to a movie, there was a floor show with singers and dancers before the movie actually began, a holdover from vaudeville. Old enough that the neighbors owned the early American compact car the Crosley station wagon with a four-banger cast iron engine. Old enough that my grandma had an old gray Plymouth she named "Hercules" that had fold up hood flaps over the engine, a three-speed stick shift out of the floor that waggled when the car idled, and a little defroster fan near the windshield that had leather fan blades (really). So, that's how old I am.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Now, that's old.
For not-so-antiquated members, Powel (yes, one "l") Crosley was an inventor & other things, among them owner of the Cincinnati Reds & WLW (radio station also in Zinzy). He made his fortune inventing & manufacturing small home radio sets, so he basically had the vertical sports/news market tied up for a lot of the country. He realized before many that there was a market for small (REALLY small) cars & marketed sedans, pickups, station wagons, even a sports car. Crosley Motors eventually went out of business after the war when gas rationing ended & the Big 3 started mass sales of new larger cars. Very interesting dude if you want to read up on him.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
I am currently 50 years old (sigh)

I vividly remember buying my first pipe in 1985...with my Christmas money! Or was it birthday money?

I went into town, to the 'ancient' tobacco shop and bought a Peterson system 150 and Holland House tobacco.

I stopped smoking the pipe when I moved up north to start a new job.

About twenty years later I decided to take up pipe-smoking again and was served by the same man.

I have the remarkable experience of being allowed to smoke my pipe in class during my final year of high school, doing advanced English with a small group of "elite students".

That teacher would be fired now. On the spot.

So I feel the pain the youngsters getting looks. I used to smoke a pipe in pubs, wearing a blue velvet dinner jacket, in a rural town in the '80s. I got looks!

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
46. Just started with pipes... long time Cigar smoker.
Deertongue is your friend!!
Mutt

Status
Not open for further replies.