Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
What does become addictive is the taste of good tobacco and the rituals of handling and clenching the pipes, lighter, and tamper, smelling the tobacco in its container.
^ Late on the party, but that sums it up perfectly. Well put, giggety gigger.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I smoke a bowl in the morning and two to three in the late afternoon/evening. I can skip days without suffering the psychological or nicotine withdrawal symptoms like those you get when addicted to cigarettes.
So, I customarily smoke daily but don't have a habit, at least not a physical one.
There is big difference between a habit an addiction, primarily physiological.

skagit

Lurker
Jan 27, 2015
To the OP-
I'm with you...I'm new and treading lightly into this. I've got serious addiction and cancer in my family history. As such, I've been smoking once or twice a week for about 6 weeks and enjoying it as a relaxation ritual. Sunday afternoon on the porch reading a book (currently Two Years Before the Mast by Dana) for an hour is a great way to finish off the weekend.
My post explaining my decision making process is here.
Sounds like you and your wife have a healthy relationship. Keep it up. Don't let the people who don't get it wear you down.
--Skagit 8)

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
Stay away from smoking anything. Look here is the deal. Smoke your pipe or don't. If you are worried what can happen then you have defeated the purpose of enjoying your pipe.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Now that I've let this topic simmer for a moment and read the replies, I feel my 5-7 bowls a week qualify as "regularly" smoking a pipe. I do and have gone 2-3 days without it and don't go into hysterical fits because I haven't. I do "jones" for a pipe occasionally because my mood is right. And that's really all I'm looking for.

While just last night I smoked 2 bowls in a pipe that just did all the right things. That is what I anticipate more than anything.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I had smoked a few bowls daily for a few years, and considered myself a regular pipe smoker. My mother had always been concerned about my pipe smoking, saying how she thought I was addicted, because I always had a pipe in my mouth, and she said I always "reeked of smoke".
Anyway, a couple years ago, during Thanksgiving, she mentioned it again. I nodded, as always, and said that I would prove that it was not an addiction. On Christmas day, I told her that I hadn't smoked at all, not a single puff, since Thanksgiving, and that I had no cravings, no desperation or itchiness to need to smoke. I told her that I smoke a pipe for the simple enjoyment of the flavor, not out of some need to craving for a nicotine high. She conceded that she was wrong, and that I was indeed not addicted.
As of now, I am in a rental house, and I do my smoking outside. So I am not partaking as much as I normally would. However, be that as it may, everyone is different. My brothers had very addictive personalities. One was hooked on dipping and drank too much, the other had a cigarette addiction. Both are passed on, now, due to complications from Lymphoma. It's a hereditary condition, so I am certain that I may have it down the line as well, but it will not deter me from enjoying my pipe, nor will it cause me any stress or concern.

Feb 6, 2015
@phil67 - Your response made me laugh! Thank you!
I am a new pipe smoker and I have been starting my morning off with a smoke (after my wife and I go for our daily walk), then after lunch, and another after dinner. I have not mastered packing and lighting my pipe yet, but I can honestly say that I enjoy the entire pipe experience. I know my father is looking down...proud!

aguineapig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2014
Ppphhhht!!! Never heard of anyone getting addicted to pipes, ha ha ha!! The guy down the road from me says he's not addicted to his cigars either, but he has one in his mug every time I see him. OK, ok, maybe you guys could just toss your pipes away and flush your tobaccos, but me, I'm honest with myself. I am addicted to the smoke, absorption through my mouth, buying tobacco, and pipes. But, if I was just smoking every few weeks or so, I'd just walk away from it now. It's one of the most addictive substances on earth. And, how do you know if you have the non-addictive gene like some of these iron wills? If addiction is something you absolutely do not want, then I feel compelled to tell you to put the pipe down, log out of here, and back away as fast as you can.
The forum is where we review blends that will make you want to try them, and there are more blends than days of the year. And, we extol the glories of our blessed instruments of addiction, each one a loving and treasured possession. Being on here, should come with a warning. Do not log in and join in unless you are wanting to feed a PAD and TAD that will work its way into your budget like water and electricity.
No, don't play around with tobacco. Don't play around with alcohol, cocaine, or heroine. If you are going to do it, do it without fear, do it with pride, do it because you want to be a pipe smoker.
I'm not going to blow smoke up your ass. If we had to give up our addictions, there'd be trouble in Bedlam. Sure, maybe some can dance at the edge of addiction, but why? It makes you stink, most people look down on smokers, its expensive, it can ruin relationships, your insurance, possibly your health... just be honest. Ask yourself, is the one hour of enjoyment of taste and sensation worth all of that.
For me, it is better for me than the evils of cigarettes that I struggled for decades with. it was the least of the evils. And, yes, for me it's worth it. But, a new fellow, with no addiction to it already, only you can answer that for yourself.
I am not anti-smoking. I'm just being honest. But, if you pick up that chain and shackle yourself in, your in good company on this here slave ship. We're a good bunch of folks, and I will look forward to your posts [:puffy:]
Are you the one who posted elsewhere that you don't eat sugar, or refined foods, and drink your tea black? I mean that neutrally-- I just can't remember if I remember you from another thread or not, but I think it was you because you had the same premise (addiction isn't so bad in general, and the stuff about cell phones). I was a lurker for a long time so just trying to put the pieces together =)

aguineapig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2014
Here are some interesting studies and articles on the matter on nicotine, inhaling, not inhaling, etc.
http://books.google.com/books?id=XQA9AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA102&lpg=PA102&dq=pipe+smoking+buccal+ph&source=bl&ots=mdPdijeG-d&sig=cEYggQgPTI3ziIwdO-VrpwBiU40&hl=en&sa=X&ei=k7MgU6SuA4_IkAfRkYDQBw&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=pipe%20smoking%20buccal%20ph&f=false
http://www.bmj.com/content/2/6099/1387
This next one compares the absorption between nasal snuff and a cigar. As stated, the cigar was smoked in an unusual way in that the smokers in the study were instructed to hold the smoke in their mouth for 45 seconds to maximize buccal absorption. The levels peaked at 65 minutes for the cigar smokers, but the nasal snuff takers levels surpassed that within 5 minutes.
http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/zsp2aa00/pdf;jsessionid=E216CD0FFDC583099F25E8EEF51C9500.tobacco03
There are certain measures you can take to minimize absorption other than not inhaling. An acidic drink with the pipe, as well as spitting saliva rather than swallowing it, are what I employ. I do not get physical cravings. If you go two weeks between smokes, you are craving the ritual, or craving it in the same way that a women might crave chocolate. For women, chocolate creates physiological stability. That is why a bite of chocolate sometimes causes a wild lust for more chocolate. The body is smart and recognizes what is useful and what isn't. Cigarettes are an addiction. Pipes can be craved without being addictive. I was vegetarian for 12 years and at the end I would have dreams about roasted meat. In the spring time I crave greens after eating fewer vegetables over the winter. And of course if I don't eat enough carbohydrate I crave those two. Tobacco is a very complex plant and substance with a lot more going on than just nicotine.

aguineapig, me, I do eat sugars and don't drink tea often, and the idea of black tea makes me raise an eyebrow. In the South there is ONLY iced sweet tea, nothing else. However, I have said many times, and even suggested here, that addiction is not bad, in and of itself. Why not just admit it? I am addicted to my pipes. We are addicted to lots of things, cars, cellphones, cable, Internets, caffeine. Addiction has such a heavy negative connotation to it that people lie about this sort of thing all the time. But, I relish my addiction to my pipes. I enjoy it. But, I may not have the same withdrawal that I might have had from cigarettes, but I would feel it, most definitely.
Addiction is not bad, it's the effects of whatever it is that you're addicted to that is bad. And, by consensus, do we not all agree that pipes aren't nearly as bad as some other things one could do?

aguineapig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2014
OK thanks for clarifying. I must have been thinking of someone else.
How long did you smoke cigarettes for before to a pipe? I guess there is a big difference between someone who never had any addiction and someone who smoked nails for a long time arriving at the same point. A lot of folks who are of the latter category seem to have a different relationship than someone who is a primary pipe or cigar smoker and never dipped, smoked, chewed or snuffed.

chlorophil7

Might Stick Around
Feb 19, 2015
"I would say once a month would certainly count as occasional.

If you up it to twice a month, you can sound cool and tell people you smoke a pipe every Fortnight. Might be worth the extra puffing!"
+1 :puffpipe:

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I smoke a couple bowls a day on average. I by no means am "addicted". I guess I am addicted to the routine, not really the nicotine. I can go a month without smoking and not think anything of it, I just prefer not to. I guess I am also addicted to pipes and tobacco in general. I love this hobby and lifestyle really. But once a month is VERY occasional, you should have no issues.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I usually have about 2-3 bowls a day. Personally I've had to put the pipe down for a week or two because of a nasty cold a few times and I've never gone through any kind of withdrawals. I'd say I'm not addicted and so would my fiancé.

mjzerby

Lurker
Dec 10, 2014
I Just have to say, this has been a fantastic discussion! Thanks for all the different answers! It's been very helpful!
I've smoked my pipe a few times now since I posted this a couple months ago, and I have to say i'm loving it! The smells the tastes, the trial and error of getting the perfect smoke has been fun.
I've smoked my pipe five times, so no more than three times a month. I have yet to feel like I "need" to smoke, but I do sometimes really "want" to smoke. Because smoking a pipe takes a fair amount of time and effort, I find myself, simply, not being able to do it. I would hate to have to rush a pipe.
So, I plan my smokes in advance. I see that on a particular day a few weeks from now is totally free, so, I mark it on the callender. So far, this has worked out great! Weather has cancelled a few of my smokes, which was disappointing, but nothingthat sent me into a rage of nicotine addicted fury.
Once or twice a month is working for me. I finally found a good packing method, so my smokes should start to get more consistently better.
Can't wait to explore this hobby more!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I drive 200-300 miles every day for work. So of course I always have at least 3 pipes with me, and 3 or 4 types of tobacco in my jeep. If I am stubborn, I can get about 7-8 bowls in a day. Some days I'm just not feeling the pipe, so I'll smoke a little over a pack of cigarettes in a day. On average I will smoke 2 or 3 bowls a day, and a few cigarettes. I'm looking forward to more of those days!
I can put the pipe down at any time without issue. But then again the cigarettes fill that empty nicotine void. Some day I hope I can be a strictly pipe smoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.