PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mjzerby

Lurker
Dec 10, 2014
You've all given me a lot to consider. Dottie's comment got me thinking. I could probably tell the same story in regards to board gaming, video gaming, bird watching, tea, coffee, fantasy novels, and Breaking Bad. Is it addiction, obsession, or simply enjoyment of a hobby?
I guess there's only one way to find out!
Here's what i've decided; i'm going to try it, and if I'm going to stick to my once every month or so plan. If I hate it, i'll stop. If I enjoy it, i'll continue. If I suck at it, but still enjoy it, who cares!? It's my pipe, my time, and my house. Nobody but my wife and I have to know how bad I am at it.
This is for me. So few things are in my life. I'm going to do it my way.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
If you can stand one more personal testimonial, I've been smoking for almost 2 years now. Right when I started, I lost my job - so I got into a daily routine of getting up, perusing job openings and submitting at least one resume a day on average, and then taking a smoke break. I'd then have some lunch, study for a certification exam for a few hours, and then take another smoke break. This continued for about 4 months, with 2-3 bowls daily.
I had no problem cutting back to my current schedule, which has me smoking about once a week. Sometimes 2-3 times, depending on whether there's yard work to be done. Last month, I contracted a nasty chest cold, and stopped smoking entirely for pretty much all of November and the first week of December with no noticeable signs of withdrawl, nic cravings, etc. Mind you, I did enjoy my first pipe again after all that time off, but I still only got about halfway through before it was time to fix dinner, and my next opportunity won't be until tomorrow afternoon...
And my mom always told me that I had one of those "addictive personalities" (turns out I just get a little obsessive over new interests, as opposed to actually getting addicted), so I do try to watch out for stuff like that. But just as I didn't become an alcoholic when I finally discovered Belgian beers and Scotch Whisky, I didn't wind up addicted to nicotine when I started smoking a pipe. Your mileage may vary, of course, but a monthly routine is even more occasional than my weekly routine, which I've been told barely qualifies me as a smoker. Relax, and fire up a bowl! :puffpipe:

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
I'd say I'm seasonal (I smoke when its colder, usually). I don't think you need to worry too much about addiction. Now that the weather is agreeable with my tastes I'm back to 3-4 bowls a week. My addiction comes from the atmosphere and the relaxation, not the tobacco.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I have to say I dont thinnk I have ever been addicted to my pipe. I consider occasionally maybe 4 times a week and that is probably my average. Sometimes more sometimes less. That being said during stressful times I up it to two or three times a day for months at a time. Ive never had a problem putting it down afterwards though.
Mostly I think part of that is not inhaling.
john

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
For my two pence, I would say that the chances for addiction are extremely slim. The only way that I could see anyone have a chance of addiction would be to chain smoke a bowl after bowl after bowl. Even then, it would have to be over a prolonged period of time.
I have a pipe or two on me at all times. I smoke a pipe on the way to work, on the way to town, sometimes outside during lunch, at home; when I am in the car, there is a pipe in my mouth.
A couple years ago, a couple weeks before Thanksgiving, my mother was remarking how I always smelled of pipe tobacco (stink, she called it, even though it was a beautiful vanilla aroma), and that I was addicted. I just shook my head. I told her that I could lay the pipe down, and she said i couldn't.
So when I got home, I sat the pipe on the table and didn't pick it up. During the Christmas holiday, I told her that I had a present for her. I told her that I hadn't smoked a pipe in over a month. I told her I had no shakings, not desire to smoke, no urge of any kind. She then conceded that she was wrong and that I was right.
For me, and for most of us, the act of smoking is not physically addictive. It is the relaxation, the enjoyment, the pleasure of the flavor that is satisfying.

mjzerby

Lurker
Dec 10, 2014
There's such a wide variety of answers here. This was clearly not as simple a question as I first thought. Thanks!

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
For me, and for most of us, the act of smoking is not physically addictive. It is the relaxation, the enjoyment, the pleasure of the flavor that is satisfying.
This is a dangerously ignorant statement. It is cool that you aren't hooked on nicotine, but to say that for most people pipe smoking isn't addictive is a huge leap. How the heck would you know? You can't put yourself in their mind, after all.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
Its not an "ignorant" statement at all, and certainly not dangerous. I can only refer to myself and the people that i am familiar with, friends, add well as replies that have already been mentioned. Most claim no addiction. I cant speak for everyone in the world, that would be insane.
Read my post again, and don't take things our of context or put any assumptions there of your own. I was giving my opinion and i stand by it.

I can go weeks without my pipe also, but first chance I get... There was a video on youtube with this guy in a cabin in the woods who had several videos ranting about how he can quit anytime, but notice that those who say they can will have thousands of reasons why they won't. I've also seen guys smoke pipes with cancer up till the last days of life saying they aren't addictive either. My father was one of them.
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with addiction in general. There's a pop culture stigma about addiction. It doesn't have to be a terrible thing. We're addicted to lots of stuff, smartphones, social media, cars, work (paycheck)... ha ha, it isn't all bad. It can be, especially if you're not honest with yourself. Aint a damn thing going to be good with lying to yourself or misleading someone. Own it. Be a pipe smoker, whether its once a day or once an hour. Being honest with yourself is the best way to make sure you keep your hobby in check. Saying you can quit anytime (and not) just sounds... well...

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
"Occasionally" is certainly more than "once in a blue moon" or "rarely." "Now and then" might equate to "occasionally" but, "often" would certainly be more than "occasionally." Or . . . maybe not. "Frequently" we may all be able to agree is certainly more than "occasionally." "Holidays only" might be "occasionally" unless you go o the trouble that we did in college and make up a calender which listed all the birthdays of friends, family, and pets. We came up with over 400 "occasions" and were able to drink and smoke with a purpose each and every day of the term.
If seeing the first "Ford" or "Chevy" of the day is an occasion which triggers a pipe, you will be smoking quite "frequently" or, is it "often", according to some. If you wait to see a Ferrari, well you should be smoking less often unless you reside in Beverly Hills, Modina or near the "Top Gear" track.
Seriously, only you and your physiology can answer the question you asked. The rest of use can only speak to our own experience.
If you only smoke "when pigs fly" a pouch of tobacco should last years and you may be thought of as an "occasional smoker."

With folks always posting how they cant smoke anywhere, cant smoke in the house. Their car stinks. Their insurance is making them pay a smoking premium, people frown on them, people coughing and pretending to be hurt by their smoke offends them, the government hates them, there's a big conspiracy against them, their wife hates them now, their girlfriend doesn't kiss them... etc... the forum is full of this, and yet... just spending an hour tasting this stuff is worth all of the things listed.

I can quit anytime. I'm not addicted ...but I'm not quitting, because it tastes so good. right.
Newbie you brought up inhaling verses absorbing it through the small blood vessels in your mouth. yes, inhaling directly into your lungs is the fast track to the heart. There is a difference. But, according to the radioshow guest that had the reports on nicotine and Alzheimers (sorry bad with names at my age, ha ha) had said that we actually absorb more, and this is why we get a different more sedative effect. We are actually still absorbing nicotine long after we put the pipe down. And, one of the reasons that I think that some report no effects from smoking strong blends is that they are not smoking slow enough. Probably also not tasting it much either by puffing. No, we don't get the immediate "need" like a cig smoker. It's different.

But, what the heck keeps these folks smoking, with a whole forum full of people listing obstacles, if not a "need"?

mjzerby

Lurker
Dec 10, 2014
Newbie, I understand completely what you'really saying, and i'm way ahead of you.
My wife is involved. I talked to her about it. The rules were my idea. Heart problems run in the family and we both want to be cautious and aware in that regard.
I told her this is something I want to do. I want to be responsible about it. She already did help me pick the tobacco before I even started this thread.
I love my wife! She's a wonderful, thoughtful, kind, and beautiful woman. I want to respect her feelings. I want her to enjoy this with me. Much the same way we enjoy all aspects of our lives together. I'm a lucky man to have her.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
Sounds like your wife runs your show. Now I love my wife too, but I'll be damned if she gets involved in picking out my tobacco, or has anything to do with my pipes. She has her own interests and hobbies and maybe your wife should get her own too.

jmmize

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2014
I am concerned about the health issues but I have read about many people living longer that smoke a pipe because they are more relaxed. It is difficult to be stressed and smoke a pipe! Enjoy on occasion as you define occasion!

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
i like many just keep pipe smoking at the hobby level, only once every other month so i dont get addicted to tobacco and suffer from all the well known health issues.

bigjoe

Might Stick Around
Aug 14, 2014
From M*A*S*H:
Potter - Here Radar, have a cigar.

Radar - I don't know sir, are they habit forming?

Potter - I've smoked five a day for the last thirty years and never picked up the habit.
I smoke a couple times a week during nice weather, maybe a bit more on vacation or camping. When winter comes along I stop completely for months at a time. Not worried at all about an addiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.