How Often do You use Your Favorite Pipe(s)?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Before I wanted to smoke a pipe once a week with a blend once a week, also to preserve a pipe and let it dry a bit more. I still like to smoke a pipe for a dedicated blend, but I had to many tins open for how much I smoke. So I plan to smoke current open tins and then switch to a smoke 1 blend till the tin is empty. With 10 bowls a week on average and for some pipes a fairly large bowl capacity in that way I can easily smoke a tin before it is to dry. I first was "worried" I would bore myself with smoking 1 tin at a time, but the blends I stock I like them a lot. I first also intended on stocking 10 blends for 10 bowls a week, now i'm planning on stocking a lot more. After I smoke a tin I might even not touch that pipe in another half year.

What I mean to say; I think its more a cleaning issue and letting it cool enough than really baby it.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Exactly...One mans trash is another mans treasure...
I only purchase pipes i've inspected so, in the last 40 years I've only rarely purchased a pipe which ended up being less than stellar. Further, why possibly incur the enmity of someone by passing on a tool which doesn't perform well. I see no upside from my perspective. Then, toss in packaging, the trip to town, postage and so forth. There simply isn't an upside to passing on trash no matter how low the recipients standards for pipes. I can't explain any more clearly, sorry.

dog_park_piper

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
I may have said the same thing in a similar thread recently: If I like a pipe then I buy 3 of the same and just rotate through them for days and days. If I like a higher-end pipe, this doesn't apply; there won't usually be three identical to do this with it.

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
This is the problem I finally found the perfect pipe for me by accident and now I want to use it every day and I have heard that's not good for the pipe.

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
I only purchase pipes i've inspected so, in the last 40 years I've only rarely purchased a pipe which ended up being less than stellar. Further, why possibly incur the enmity of someone by passing on a tool which doesn't perform well. I see no upside from my perspective. Then, toss in packaging, the trip to town, postage and so forth. There simply isn't an upside to passing on trash no matter how low the recipients standards for pipes. I can't explain any more clearly, sorry.
I am not saying to sell somebody a pipe which is really trash(I had to throw away one myself-plastic pipe which i got as a present -total junk)but for example pipe which does not pass a cleaner is not a trash to me cause i take them apart and clean them after smoke so it does not bother me at all...Just saying if the pipe is not a total junk it may make somebody happy...Give it to a homeless man or somebody instead of throwing it away...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This is the problem I finally found the perfect pipe for me by accident and now I want to use it every day and I have heard that's not good for the pipe.
Keep them clean after each smoke and you can smoke them nearly as much as you want provided you give them an hour or so to cool down.

Reactions: dog_park_piper

Ragin Cajun

Might Stick Around
Nov 11, 2021
New iberia, LA
My 5 large petersons generally get s,moked daily. sometimes twice. Since it takes me at least 30 -40 minutes to smoke a bowlful, the get to rest and dry approximately 3-4 hours between smokes. They get cleaned between smokes.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I never smoke the same pipe more than once a day. I also only smoke one different blend each day. I smoke 4-6 bowls a day and everyone is perfect. I let my pipes dry out 24-48 hours usually it s the 48. When I smoke a bowl I expect a great smoke every time out. I refuse to settle for a bowl that isn't perfect. I spend good money on my tobacco so why settle when I have clean pipes and tobacco that is 10 years old or better.

All of my pipes in my collection are my favorites. I did a culling of 60 odd pipes so what is left are all favorites. I am also adding pipes that are favorites. My last 13 pipes bought are all commissioned pipes from Jack Howell who makes my favorite pipes. My goal is to fill a 15 count glass door cabinet that I plan will be full of Jack Howell pipes. I have 13 Howell's, now just need to add another 15 and that will make my collection 53 pipes deep. That is more than enough for me.

Last edited:

jmsmitty6

Can't Leave
Jan 12, 2018
Cincinnati, Ohio
A few years ago my collection of pipes didn't have a focus and were all over the place. I had some pipes I smoked often and others that collected dust. I made an effort to rid myself of the ones I was not smoking and, because of my smoking schedule, got two 12 pipe racks and vowed never to have more than that. I smoke all of them fairly equally and never more than once, although I have smoked many bowls in a row on occassion.

May 16, 2021
Manitoba Canada
My shiny newly purchased pipes get smoked two or even three days in a week and I usually smoke a single pipe all day and evening.
Once I buy a new favorite pipe the previous new one usually gets used once day week or less.

I sound like a toddler with a full toy chest and grandparents that spoil me with new toys all the time.
Wait a minute! Maybe my ex was on to something with she yelled at me and saidI was acting like a kid...

huckleberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2017
Kentucky
These days I generally smoke a few bowls on one blend, and sometimes two on a given day, so the pipes I use will get smoked a few times a day, for a few days. They get cleaned between bowls, and then they get a more thorough cleaning before being set aside for several days to a week. Every now and then I switch out rotations so those pipes that have seen a couple of months of use get a couple of months of resting, some a year or more before they go back into service again.
This is the goal I try to reach, but sometimes I fall asleep or forget...ah...what was this thread about?

Reactions: sablebrush52

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Edited title for caps. Rule 9. -jpm

While I have a number of pipes in rotation, there's one in particular I reach for as long as I'm smoking Capstan Blue (and I smoke a fair amount of it). Capstan just doesn't sing as well in any other pipe compared to my Savinelli 1987 bent billiard. I smoke it almost daily, and will occasionally use it for a second bowl.

I'm wondering if I need to let this pipe rest a bit more? How long should one let a pipe rest after an extended smoke?
I’ve got a selection of mid to basic pipes (by cost). Of these I’ve got two basket pipes that cost me no more than £10 each and they smoke better than my £70 pipes, to the point where I smoke those £10 a lot more than the other, more expensive ones.
When I say that they smoke better, I mean they have a shape, weight and tolerance for how quickly I smoke that adds to my smoking pleasure.
I smoke these as often as I want, my worry isn’t burning through a pipe that cost me £100+ but one I bought in Belfast and one I got from God knows where so when they burn through, as they most certainly will, I won’t be able to find a suitable replacement?? ? I really need to buy two or three of the same pipe when I find these little beauties possibly.