Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
How often do you rub out your flakes?
Every time—though, depending on the flake, it varies from a simple “breaking up” to a full “rubbed out.”

I don’t count curly-cut blends as “flakes,” but I noticed at least one “replier” here that did. With dime/quarter-size coins (Escudo, Three Nuns, Roll Cake), I break up a few and leave a few intact. Anything bigger gets broken up completely.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
just cube cut some Rum Flake and it's smoking great
My hat’s off to you, good sir. Much as I enjoy some of the GH/SG blends—and I love a good rum-infused navy flake—that one packed too much of a nicotine punch for me. (If a nicotine-rich flake is your thing, though, I’d recommend that you try McConnell’s Latakia Flake. I couldn’t get more than a couple of puffs down the bowl before I had to toss it. Wow.)

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I’ve always preferred F&S because I like the cooler, slower burn of tobacco that’s still somewhat compressed. I generally cube cut plugs since I’ve already got the knife out. But bottom of the jar flake that’s fallen apart to a ready-rubbed consistency smokes just fine too

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
When I first started smoking flake tobacco, I began experimenting with all the different techniques. Along the way, I experienced success with each of the different techniques. For me, fold n stuff technique seems to work best with flakes that are made and arrive as a well formed, integral flakes. I like the cube cut technique for some flakes and use it on PS LTF usually. I always rub out coin cut tobacco. The majority of the time I rub the flakes out after drying them.
One thing I learned for sure is the importance of properly drying out or appropriate moisture prior to preparing the flakes for packing in the Pipe.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
I have a couple of pipes that work really well with fold and stuff. For my other pipes I generally rub out. Although I have tried a few cube cut blends and liked them, I have never really thought about taking the time to cube cut a flake. I think I will try that this evening. Ahh, the adventure never ends. :sher:

Reactions: bullet08

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
It's true that America flakes are not like European flakes. They more or less disintegrated after awhile. Not like those nice, neat sliced Capstan flakes. Folding C&D flakes are almost impossible. Most of the time I just stuff them after drying.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I smoke mostly flakes and cakes/plugs. I usually rub flakes into a broken flake condition. For some time SPC Hogshead has been my most often go to and i break off a piece, put the larger piece on the lid and roughly rub out the broken piece, fill my pipe and return the larger piece to the tin on top of the extra rubbed out pieces and enjoy a great bowl.

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
I have not had any luck with fold and stuff yet. For me at this point it has only led to tons of relights.

But I can't say how much drying time I use because I haven't figured it out yet either! :) Sometimes I dry it for an hour, sometimes not at all, and I seem to get random results. I suppose this is probably just because all the tobacco is different and the conditions are all different for each bowl. Relative humidity, dampness of the tobacco, type of fire I'm using, the size of the bowl, etc etc..

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
Roll loosely, stuff, enjoy. No need to fold
This. I already replied in this thread and said I rub them out. That's not necessarily true. My mainstay is Luxury Navy Flake, and most often, when I'm not rushed, I take the flake and pull it into strips 2-3mm wide, like you would string cheese, and then I softly rub the mound of strips between my thumb and index finger and middle finger. I do not rub them out until they're like ribbons. More so, I'm trying to create more surface area for an easy light and consistent burn. When in a hurry, I don't do the strip thing, but I loosely roll the entire flake. The results are basically the same, but not quite. When I used to smoke other, thicker flakes, I would roll them closer to ribbons. The thickness of the flake is significant.

Reactions: Sgetz and bullet08