PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TheCROW

Lurker
Feb 11, 2020
I always rub them out but not to a ribbon-like cut. Just enough to be like a ready rubbed cut.
I sometime take the flake and crumple it in my palm and kneed it to a ball shape, but not too tight and stuff it in the bowl lol!
I tried fold and stuff but didn't work out much for me in the past, gotta try again!

Reactions: bullet08

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
But when I don't feel like waiting for hours for the flake to dry out, I'll fully rub it out.

How often do you rub out your flakes?
I have almost exclusively flake and will always take it over ribbon cut. And I never rub it out - just fold and stuff or fold and twist. My favourite flake, the HH series - a nice size of flake that I can judge well for stuffing.
What flake are you needing to dry out for hours? I've heard the stories of Gawith, but none of the others I've ever had to dry out: HH series, Solani, Peterson Flake, Capstan, Orlik, Star of the East or any of the curly cut - Escudo or Savinelli. Of course, it takes a bit more time to get it lit, but once it's lit, it burns beautifully - nice and slow, with a cool smoke and little tamping required.

BlueRidge

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2022
I remember having to dump an Aged Burley Flake bowl because I screwed it up. I'm too cheap to waste tobacco and possibly just a midwit can't grasp the technique. just cube cut some Rum Flake and it's smoking great

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
They key to fold and stuff is to leave room for the tobacco expand. Less on the bottom, more on the top always works for me.
I seem to recall reading that some people stuff folded flakes upside down. Per Jensen of Mac Baren may do this as well.

In other words, the folded part is inverted (on top) so that the broken ends are at the chamber's bottom. This way, the dense part is on top.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
That
I seem to recall reading that some people stuff folded flakes upside down. Per Jensen of Mac Baren may do this as well.

In other words, the folded part is inverted (on top) so that the broken ends are at the chamber's bottom. This way, the dense part is on top.
Exactly what I do. Then I mush the top up a bit with my thumbnail so it lights up easy.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I still enjoy working on fold and stuff and it works better than it used to. Had some broken flake yesterday and just took a couple little grabs and rolled them into a couple little balls between my palms and dropped them in, works great as long is it isn't too dry.