PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
every time. I could fold and stuff a thinner flake like LNF, but I still like to break it up. Maybe if I was smoking in some windy conditions, but when it gets too windy, I I don't smoke. It might as well be raining if it is windy.

sjohnston0311

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2023
Massachusetts, USA
Depends on the pipe. If it's a typical smaller "flake pipe" with a tall narrow chamber I'll fold and stuff. For a pipe with a larger chamber I'll usually rub it out. Has more to do with the amount of time I have to smoke than any other factor, since folded and stuffed flakes tend to burn a lot slower than loose/rubbed out tobacco.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Depends on the pipe. If it's a typical smaller "flake pipe" with a tall narrow chamber I'll fold and stuff. For a pipe with a larger chamber I'll usually rub it out. Has more to do with the amount of time I have to smoke than any other factor, since folded and stuffed flakes tend to burn a lot slower than loose/rubbed out tobacco.
This ^^^^

Time available for smoking and the particular pipe / flake combination largely determines the method

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I predominantly fold and stuff if the flake allows it. C&D "flake" I usually rub out 75% of the way to ribbon. I like to have some chunks in there to slow down the bowl and add some flavor.

I love the European flakes, especially Mac Baren flakes. Always perfect and usually one flake = one bowl which makes things easy.