PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
You have unopened bottles of scotch? :crazy:
I refer to Lagavulin 16 as Campfire in a Cup it's so smokey. Love it in the winter.
I drink all kinds of whiskey and bourbon. I currently have 45 opened bottles, so I have a large variety to fit my mood.
I don't drink tequila, gin, rum or any kind of wine. Its whiskey or death.

doverpipes

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2011
I prefer my Scotch to be on the "less peaty side".

I am a huge fan of Compass Box' offerings.

In particular, Compass Box "Enlightenment" and "Asyla".

Sadly both are now discontinued, but I still have several bottles of each.

I also like, the still available, Compass Box "The Great King Street Artist’s Blend" and "Hedonism"
I also enjoy Glenmorangie "Nectar D'Or 12 Year Old-Sauternes Finish" and "Lasanta"

Too much peat tastes like iodine and ruins the subtlety of many tobacco blends.

Heavy "peating" (Not to be confused with "heavy petting"!!!!) absolutely ruins anything that has delicate / floral Orientals IMHO.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
My absolutely most favorite hooch on the planet -- and I have tried a LOT of them -- is Lagavulin 16.
I have heard the experience of taking a dram of this nectar described as "like drinking a burned church."
I think this is fair. I think this is wonderful.
Accordingly:
Q: How much peat in your Scotch?

A: All of it, please. All the peat.
[Well damn it. Now it is 10:30H and I want a whisky.]

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I have a bottle of Springbank.

It’s more accurate to say I’ve had it for a long time.

I’ll pour aa occasional wee dram of it when I need a challenge.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
"Laphroaig is my benchmark for peat. Also mouth feel, viscosity....so good!

yup,most unique.

love it. Grew up on Dewars etc.

Laphroaig was an eye opener.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Not sure if the tariffs will increase on whisky imported into the US? So I thought I might as well add a bottle of Lagavulin 16 and Oban 14 to my collection today. Mmmm Oban! I leave a glass out for Santa on Christmas Eve every year.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I, personally, am not a big fan of peat. That being said, Lagavulin 16 is a darned nice Scotch when you're in the mood.
My new regular Scotch is Glendronach 12. I like it more than Macallan 12. It's heavily sherried though so be prepared if you ever try it.

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
I drank mostly Wild Turkey 101 when I was younger but once I discovered Islay scotch I fell head over heels in love with it. Laphroaig is hands down the best I've tried but I do enjoy some of the Ardbegs and Lagavulin occasionally as well. I still enjoy some of the moderately priced 100+ proof bourbons now and then as well but scotch has become my go to drink when I want an alcoholic beverage.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Smokey , peaty , well aged
Not unlike my favourite underwear

Dec 24, 2012
I only like peaty scotches once in a blue moon, so I tend to stay away from Islay scotches. Octomore is, I believe, the scotch that is the peatiest. I tried it once and it was like sticking your head in a camp fire.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Some peats are overdone to the point of being gratuitous or for marketing effects , not unlike overly hopped IPA which bastardizes the style
Stick to the classics like laphroaig 10 which is the touchstone .

techie

Jul 20, 2018
I like all types of whisk(e)y, but especially Scotch, heavily peated, lightly peated, non-peated. Just last night I was enjoying the Lagavulin 12, which I might like more than the 16. One of my first when I started drinking was Ardbeg 10, but I much prefer Dark Cove. I still have an unopened bottle of the original Lagavulin 8 year 200th anniversary edition.
The Talisker 18 is lightly peated but is also outstanding.
Never had the opportunity to try an Octomore (yet). It's very hard to get in my area.

Status
Not open for further replies.