PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
Just curious - how many people here prefer a heavily peated whiskey or prefer very little to none in their scotch?
When I first got into higher end spirits I couldn’t much stand the stuff.
I then ventured more into bourbons and have been a bigger fan of bourbons since. Especially Barrel proof offerings as they hold up well on ice during the hot southern summers.
When I got back around to my scotch bottles I found I didn’t much care for them. Either way too muted in flavor or overly sweet (seems most sherry finishes impart too much sweetness to my liking).
So I thought if my pallet had gone south on those why not revisit Lagavulin 16. That stuff was amazing - when I gagged the first time I tried it years back.
Now if I’m drinking scotch - it’s got to be a higher peated whiskey like Ardbeg, Lagavulin, and Laphroaig.

brassmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
I also enjoy very peated scotch, and Lagavulin is one of the best. Kilchoman is very good and also an Islay malt. I've been tending towards maritime influenced malts recently for some variety

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
There was a time when I would only drink heavily peated scotch. But I've softened up and now I like the sweet, sherry finished scotches equally. I also like cognac, calvados and rum. So whatever I'm in the mood for. Yesterday it was Highland Park and Laphroaig.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I like an Islay scotch with lots of peat (Lagavulin, Laphroaig) but tend to drink it more in the colder months. In summer I veer toward the less peaty or not peat Lowland and Speyside malts or else Irish. Not a hard rule of course.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
My very small collection includes Highland Park 12, Talisker 10,and Lagavulin 16. Lagavulin is a winter thing for me.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
My oldest son is a cigar smoker part-time piper. He drinks Laphroaig quite often. It definitely is an acquired taste...my first taste was god awful! The more I try it...the more I'm starting to enjoy it.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Scotch that's too heavily peated taste like iodine to me so I avoid them. On the other end, if there is no peat you might as well be drinking an Irish whiskey.

I've had single malt scotch from five different regions (yes, some claim there are only 4 regions) and prefer the ones from the Speyside region. Even the highly peated scotch from the Speyside region seems to have less of the iodine taste.
One of my favorite single malts was Dalmore Cigar Malt. Then they stopped selling it where I could find it and now it's priced way higher than before - over $75 a bottle the last time I saw it.
I've also tried a number of different blended scotch but my favorite has to be Famous Grouse.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
pappymcac, prior to my triple by-pass over 4 years ago, I was primarily a scotch drinker. Typically blended due to cost and Famous Grouse was my favorite too. Then after the surgery for whatever reason, my body seemed to reject/not tolerate spirits and discovered the enjoyment of wine instead. Been a wine drinker since then, though occasionally order a scotch at restaurants.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I enjoy the Islay malts in the colder months. Highland and Spey side in warm weather. The first time I tried Laphroaig I was blown away. The quarter cask is my favorite from Laphroaig so far. Just added the triple wood to my collection of unopened bottles. This is my collection list.
Balvenie 12 year double wood,4 unopened
Lagavulin 16, 1 unopened
Ardbeg 10, 1 unopened
Abelour 12 year, 1 unopened
Laphroaig 10 year, 1 unopened
Laphroaig quarter cask, cask strength, 1 unopened
Laphroaig triple wood, 1 unopened
Glen Ord 12 year, 1 unopened

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Always a lot! Peat and repeat!
photo-561.jpg

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
We have over a dozen of various single malts at home. Some opened and some not. My favourite and my wife’s favourite is the Lagavulin 16. $130 plus per bottle here though. I also enjoy Talisker 10 but usually single malt is a winter thing for me.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Mmm bandaids.
I can enjoy just about any variety of quality whiskey.. the peatiness doesn't turn me off at all.

Still don't like latakia though.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I'm pretty much a bourbon and rye guy. Peat is a lot like truffle oil to me. Not...not good.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I go both ways...I really like Lagavulin or Ardbeg when its cool out, but I tend toward lighter Speysides in warm weather. I also like Aberlour A’bunadh a lot when i'm in the mood for a less peaty dram.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Seanv where do you live? That's a crazy high price compared to the $55 in California.
"My favourite and my wife’s favourite is the Lagavulin 16. $130 plus per bottle here though."

Status
Not open for further replies.