How Much Do You Spend On Your Average TAD Purchase?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I've got a cart made up at Pipesandcigars, it consists of $100 worth of tobacco. I was just wondering what other pipers are paying on their TAD purchases. How much is too much to buy/spend at once?

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
We all have different tastes and different budgets.
Just me? I don't have much rhyme or reason to my methods. If anything I need to STOP diversifying my cellar. Usual purchases are two or three in larger quantity bulks and then two or three smaller misc "oh hey that looks good" tossed into the pile.
Good average I personally feel ok with a few hundred a whack. But like I said I should trim out the misc as when I look in my cellar and see 30 tins I'm really just sort of apathetic about I feels wasteful.
But I'm cheap.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Between $100 and $150. I like free shipping and I don't smoke a ton, so this works for me.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I usually spend around $100-$150 myself. Being in Canada I have to make the shipping costs worthwhile.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Sometimes you have to buy a lot of pipe cleaners to get the free shipping!

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
At the point you've got $60 or $70 in your cart and you are looking at shipping charges, it just makes sense to throw in some stuff for the cellar to get the free shipping.
Of course, don't listen to me. I just needed to pick up two 2 oz samples for someone else ($17 total) and somehow I got free shipping. 4oz for them, and then a pound of PS Balkan Supreme, a tin of Grousemoor, 8oz of St James Flake, etc. I have the wonderful ability to turn $15 into $100.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
If I'm gonna have to pay shipping, I won't spend more than $30-40. I usually try to spend enough to get it shipped free though! My latest TAD, which is in the mail now, was about $130. The one before that was about $35 +shipping. All together this month, I've spent around $200 or so. Last month around $50-75. It just depends on my funds. Some months I might not buy anything, though that has not been the case in recent months!

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
My cart is at $115 but I'm not buying it until they have the things in stock, three of the things they want me to "backorder". I've heard only bad things about the P&C back ordering, however I doubt they will be putting the Czech tool, Pipe Cleaner Sample, and a 2oz tin of C&D Nutty Irishman back in stock anytime soon. Since I don't really want to spend that much money I shall just wait, and if they never get them back in stock I'll just go HAM on the B&M's. and when they come in stock I shall buy them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Our great Forums pipe guru always buys at least $100 worth for free shipping. I usually go about $30 worth,

and even so, I have a number of sealed tins "aging." Moderation in all things for me, I guess.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
The guru's notion rests on the fact that tobacco is unlikely to ever be cheaper and odds are, will be significantly more expensive in the future. Even if the price part is wrong, then you have a cellar full of aged tobacco in the worst case scenario.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
How should I go about trying all the tobaccos I'm going to order. I know it's not wise to use several different tobaccos in a briar, because of ghosting and what not.

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
@shayde - I would suggest getting a bag of 10 MO Meerschaum seconds for about $30 from their website. You can try all you want without worrying about ghosting, and you'll have 10 great pipes to add to your rotation.
I normally buy $100-$150 on each TAD order. I also like to hit sales (discounts) when I can. The savings can really add up when buying a lot of tins.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Depending on what you smoke , don't worry too much about ghosting. I keep latakia blends and aromatics in their own pipes but with a little research you shouldn't fear ghosting too much.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I'm either spending 30 to 40 bucks and paying the 4 or 5 dollars in shipping charges but if I'm going higher than that I'll bump it up to $100 for free shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.