PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
After chasing that idea for a few decades I've found myself mainly smoking only two blends. Blends in the same genre just aren't different enough for me to fret over another one.
I'm actually coming around to this mindset as well. I first started with pipes. Applying the principle that each pipe I own needs to be one I absolutely love everything about. I went from 20+ briars and 2 cobs, to 4 briars and the same 2 cobs. I'm now looking at my cellar and realizing that it's wide, but not deep. My goal now is to change that and cellar deep the blends I love. How many different English blends do you really need? One or two I think. The rest are too similar to worry about.

If they still let you buy samples
Samples are for pessimists. I just throw down my money and go ahead and buy a pound or two. I am naturally an optimist, and an optimist thinks that all tobaccos are as good as they can be, and a pessimist fears that this is true. puffy

Last edited:

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
Samples are for pessimists. I just throw down my money and go ahead and buy a pound or two. I am naturally an optimist, and an optimist think that all tobaccos are as good as they can be, and a pessimist fears that this is true. puffy
Surely sampling first is a sign of Rationalism? Reduces cost, reduces waste and allows one to assess before taking the plunge.

Surely sampling first is a sign of Rationalism? Reduces cost, reduces waste and allows one to assess before taking the plunge.
You got like just 4 months until deeming day. Now is not the time to piddle. If your not taking this seriously and piddling around, then step aside while the big boys load up. Because in just a few months you might not be able to.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Agreed. My problem is that I smoke so little that the assessment process takes too long. So now I have 100s of tins laying about unopened that have yet to be "assessed". Those that have been assessed, some I've gone deep on, others I haven't. But the backlog seems to be continually outpacing the assessment process, hahaha.

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
You got like just 4 months until deeming day. Now is not the time to piddle. If your not taking this seriously and piddling around, then step aside while the big boys load up. Because in just a few months you might not be able to.
Living in the UK this doesn't really worry me too much. Although I may not be able to get some, I have access to a lot of good stuff here.
Agreed. My problem is that I smoke so little that the assessment process takes too long. So now I have 100s of tins laying about unopened that have yet to be "assessed". Those that have been assessed, some I've gone deep on, others I haven't. But the backlog seems to be continually outpacing the assessment process, hahaha.

Sounds like you need to smoke more! ;)

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Living in the UK this doesn't really worry me too much. Although I may not be able to get some, I have access to a lot of good stuff here.

Sounds like you need to smoke more! ;)
Haha, believe me, I'd love to. But between my wife's disdain for it, raising a toddler, building a house, running a company, and my own personal health paranoia, it just ain't in the cards.

TimeKiller

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2021
Texas
I have about a 4 year supply of my favorites at my current pace. I just keep plugging away at it. I would love to have 200 lbs tucked away and not have to worry about it. I think my wife would notice that credit card statement in a hurry though.
Honestly, if/when SHTF those lbs of tobacco will probably serve you better than shiny metals or US savings bonds. ?