PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ken56

Might Stick Around
Sep 30, 2018
" if you were happy with only one pipe, you probably wouldn't join a forum to talk about pipes and tobaccos"
Well I guess this pretty much says it all. I only own 3 pipes but if I could own 53 that would be good too. But I have been down that road - The search for the perfect ..... and I pretty much end up where I started.

Thanks for all the great replies. K

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
A lot, especially if you ask the wife. :lol: I am always hoping to find the best one, and like anything else in life I am not sure I will ever find one that is perfect in all ways. Just exploring sizes and shapes that you like is a heck of a journey, not to mention pipe makers. The rabbit hole goes on forever.

I would be interested to see Banjos answer to this (I see he said about 100 4 years or so ago).

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
17 and the good news is I have not purchased one in over a year. I may have cured my PAD before it got out of hand.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I've got about 15 briars and probably about the same number of cobs. I find myself only smoking about half of those briars though. I intend to get rid of the briars I don't smoke and get some that I will smoke. If I had 15 briar pipes and really liked each one of them, then that would probably be enough of a collection for me, though I expect I would continue to add a new pipe on the occasion that I stumbled across something I really wanted.

ken56

Might Stick Around
Sep 30, 2018
" I am always hoping to find the best one, and like anything else in life I am not sure I will ever find one that is perfect in all ways. Just exploring sizes and shapes that you like is a heck of a journey, not to mention pipe makers.
This I totally understand! Of course dealing with wifey is always a challange. And being retired adds to the mix.

I have been down this road with Firearms, Guitars, Model Trains 'Prewar" - And believe me Pipes are allot more affordable. If I add to my three I was share. K

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
I've still there with musical instruments also. 8O

Estate pipes are a good way to add to the herd without breaking the bank in my opinion.

Jan 8, 2013
I've still there with musical instruments also. 8O
I'm glad I'm obsessed with pipes these days. If not for pipes I'd probably be spending all my left over money on guitars (mainly) and an assortment of other instruments. Pipes take up far less space and are usually more affordable. Of course now that I'm thinking on it..... maybe it's time for another guitar, or a bass... a violin maybe... always wanted one of those. Oh goodness help me....

Sep 18, 2015
According to my other half I have enough!

36 Briars

7 cobs

4 Meercham

1 clay

These all get smoked, some more than others,

About a dozen ‘project’ Pipes that may or may not see a match again, a couple are beyond my skill set to repair, none are worth spending any money on.

1 extra large Meercham that is pretty much just a conversation piece.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Well, I think I have about 9 cobs (a seven day bag of smokeable seconds from MM, a MM Charles Towne Cobbler, and an Old Dominion Virginia Planter), then 3 Churchwardens ( 2 I made myself plus a Nording military mount), a SMS Meerschaum, then the remaining 6 are all briars, so what's that? Four?
Nah, need to take off my shoes and socks for a minute.....9+3...carry the 1...+ 1 + 6...uh....19? Yeah, 19. Planning to add another cob soon I think, a MM Dagner Poker, so that'll make it 20.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I cut down hard over the past year. I'm down to, I think, 16 pipes. I'm still downsizing, though. I've decided to focus on quality over quantity, so I'll probably pare down to about 9 pipes. Then the plan is to only add one pipe a year (stop laughing!). One really good pipe of my own design. Hush! I'm serious!

ken56

Might Stick Around
Sep 30, 2018
"I've still there with musical instruments also." - spent 25 years selling and buying Guitars and Drums - I'm with you.
"Nah, need to take off my shoes and socks for a minute.....9+3...carry the 1...+ 1 + 6...uh....19? Yeah, 19. Planning to add another cob soon I think, a MM Dagner Poker, so that'll make it 20." - LOL!!!!!!
"I think, 16 pipes. I'm still downsizing, though. I've decided to focus on quality over quantity" - That makes sense!
"I own more than one pipe." -Short but right to the point! I like that.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
148f98y.jpg

80ish. Most of mine, 70ish, are Petersons.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I have about 20 on my "active" table and maybe another 35 in the strategic reserve box.
The idea is that I have enough to smoke until my end days regardless of market conditions.
Of the 20 at hand, maybe a dozen see regular usage.
None are too fancy. Only two set me back more than a C-note. Most are traditionally shaped briars with an average cost of around 40 clams. I have the obligatory morta and meerschaum specimen, as well as the small pile of cobs, so I can pretend to be well rounded.
It's all about the cellar, now.
jay-roger.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
More than one, less than 1000... In the current "rotation" maybe 50-60... :D

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I have somewhere around 35 briars, 3 Morta and 7 Cobs. There's only 12 to 15 that make my rotation plus a cob or two per day. Going to sell a number of them whenever I find the time and patience to take some good photos and measurements.

Status
Not open for further replies.