Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
If you smoke the same pipe continuously, I haven't found it to get better. At best, it smokes the same. If you have plenty of pipes, seems to make sense to rotate them. Some people smoke wetter than others for a variety of reasons. If you're one of the wet smokers, you'd likely benefit by rotating pipes every smoke and allowing a day or two for the pipe to dry.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
A tired pipe is a terrible smoke. Let it get 8 hours solid rest. It will thank you.

After smoking a pipe all day and numerous bowls I would rest it overnight. Then use it again in the morning. Unless you smoke wet or smoke goopy aromatics then in that case let it rest until dry about a day or so.

A seven day rotation of pipes would be ideal if you have the budget. But you don't have to. You can certainly smoke the same pipe daily. I've always rested a pipe until dry. Works for me.

eaglebleyes

Might Stick Around
Jan 23, 2017
Mars
I have a few expensive ones I rest they are dedicated pipes to twist and flake tobacco...Then I have a few that do not rest usually cobs and smoke aros out of them...All a matter of preference...If you don't plan to give it a break cobs are the way to go..

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
If I’m smoking a briar (which isn’t something I do much of these days) I will usually do one of two things. I will smoke the same pipe, clean it, and let it cool in between smokes. Or, I will alternate between two briar pipes so that I can smoke back to back.

I do not, for any reason whatsoever, rest a meerschaum pipe if I want to reload it. I have much better, more consistent smokes in meerschaum. But, I will say that I don’t own any high dollar, artisan briars. I have a couple of Savinellis that are fantastic smokers, but I’ve had many other briars that just weren’t worth a darn. I’ve found that if I’m going to spend $150+ on a pipe I’m much more likely to get a cool, dry smoker if I purchase a meerschaum. I also don’t have to worry about resting it.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Depends on the shape. Rhodesian should get 6 hours to function normally. Bulldogs need at least 16 to 18 hours a day to be happy and actively tail wagging. Dublin, you know them. Drink on Friday, sleep through Saturday, and go to confessional on Sunday.

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
I smoke briar pipes exclusively, generally a billiard shape or a variation there of. I have a few bents, but 90% are straight. I smoke almost exclusively Virginia flakes or VA/PER flakes. I have some pipes that have fantastic flavor with a Virginia flake and can be smoked back to back. But in general I prefer to smoke a pipe one time a day and then switch to another pipe for the next bowl. I have some pipes that require more rest between smokes, but generally I let them rest about 24 hours before smoking that pipe again. Since I have 48 pipes in my rotation, it's not difficult to give several days rest between smokes. But if I have a pipe that is smoking particularly well, I may smoke one bowl per day in it for several days running.

For me it all comes down to what method gives me the best flavor and most enjoyable smoking experience. I find that that varies from one pipe to another.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
The way my brain has conceptualized it, there is a continuum between cleanliness and a need for rest.

When people used to hang up their pipes wet after a day's smoking (before pipe cleaners were prevalent and pipes were simply a nicotine delivery device), it was more beneficial to give them time to air out. Now that we (at least those of us on forums) are a lot fussier about this stuff, pipes are a lot cleaner and drier before we hang them up for the night, so even a night's rest might be overkill. I have to admit that I can't tell a difference when smoking the same pipe the next day, or smoking one that I haven't touched in a month.

So the "right" answer has everything to do with your habits and preferences.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
To answer your question... it's all a matter of preference. As you can see from this thread already, there are a variety of opinions.

Before I had a collection of pipes, I would smoke multiple bowls a day, several days in a row before putting my pipe down to rest. When I did this, I never had a problem with my pipes, and I never noticed any issues with smoke-ability or flavor from the tobacco. The overnight break between smokes always seemed like enough of a break for me.

With meerschaum pipes there is no reason to rest your pipe; however, some people do. I've got a large collection of meers, so I'll smoke multiple bowls a day and then move on to another one, just so I'm not neglecting the other ones. Though there are times where I will smoke the same meer several days in a row, smoking countless bowls with no issues.

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
Well, we seem to have plenty of hard-smoking gentlemen here who are not overly concerned with either resting or cleaning their pipe(s)!
I shall relax my cleaning/resting regimen a bit and see what results I get. 😅
I have perhaps been overly persnickety, which comes from reading too many pipe book chapters "How to Care for your Pipe" 😭
There is theory, and then there is real world. 👀

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have perhaps been overly persnickety, which comes from reading too many pipe book chapters "How to Care for your Pipe" 😭
There is theory, and then there is real world
If they didn't make you believe it, you wouldn't buy that many pipes. It's all marketing gimmicks. Even the heaviest smoked, least cared for pipes can be restored.

20190109_172215.jpg
20190215_085731.jpg20180613_180543-1.jpg

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
After recruiting mathematicians, spreadsheets, tarot cards, tea leaves, and NASA artificial intelligence algorithms, I (we) have determined the correct answer is...

RP >= 2(RH)

There you have it... a formula
Resting Period is (at least) 2 minutes for every percentage point of relative humidity in the room in which the pipe is stored.

So, given the example below, the minimum resting period would be
134 minutes.

20231222_211813.jpg