Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

CherokeeBilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2014
Granbury, TX
If you open a tin and leave it in that tin you should smoke it within the month or it will dry out. You can transfer to mason jars, therefore allowing you to open multiple tins to sample the goodness and rotate your smokes.
Peck, I'll gladly pay for your course as long as I get room and board at Casa De Peck, and we get to use your pipes and open your tins!!!!!! Of course you would have to show me how to open that bag of Strang and teach me to cut it, Oh how I long for the Strang!

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
I also took Peck's course last year. No, he doesn't give any discounts for forum members, but I did get 10 free tins of 8 year old Escudo from his cellar. You did say help yourself, didn't you Peck?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sorry to be so late in responding to this thread, but selling enough assets to make bail took a couple of days. Apparently Canadian law regarding the use of shaped charges in a public space differs from that in the US.
Despite this small issue, Peck's tutelage is invaluable and he also provides smoked meat from Schwarz's for an additional $300 an ounce. Otherwise, you're pretty much stuck eating moose hide. The manacles are pretty comfy and his basement is heated.
I'm offering his method for a mere $4999. You will have to provide your own C-4.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My man-servant handles that little chore. He also handles the relights and the tamping. The scullery maid does the pipe cleaning, by hand, no dishwasher. Ever! Not even for the dishes. If I start buying them any of the new fangled machinery they'll have too much free time on their hands. Nest thing you know they'll start asking for Christmas off.

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
Once I learned that the cat food can opener wasn't the right tool
:rofl:

Finally with Peck's course I can try out all of these cans that have been building in my cellar while I continue to only be able to open pouches like Captain Black Grape..

I flunked Peck's course. I just didn't have the attention span back then, with all the talking, notes, and expensive text books... I just use a grinder now. I always fared better in shop class than with all of those complicated classes, like Physics, Astrology, and Tin Opening.

58338233-63fa-4f96-96d4-33952242e9e3_1000.jpg

arty

Lurker
Oct 8, 2017
Step 1: flex muscles

Step 2: use a thin piece of metal as a crowbar in the notches on the tin. A coin, a flathead screwdriver etc.

Step 3: enjoy tobacco!
In all seriousness though, put the stuff in a mason jar pronto, unless you plan to smoke it all within a week.

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
I have been saving for the last year and a half for Peck's "Apocalypse survival guide for the pipe smoker class".

The purpose of the Basic Survival Class for the pipe smoker, is to provide students with the knowledge to survive an apocalypse scenario, using the items the Peck's terms of Smoking and Survivability. The multi-functionality of the items within the kit will be discussed, demonstrated and applied to self-aid situations including emergency methods of opening your tin, lighting your pipe with a stone "striker" (quartz) and "handstone" (pentlandite) that you have found, and subsequently tamping with sticks you have whittled.

Basic does not mean easy, it means the essential facts or principles of a pipe smoking survival skills. Peck's essentials will revolutionize your outdoor training by pushing you beyond the limits you would otherwise push yourself. You can expect to walk an overall average of five miles per day carrying your gear (approx 35lb of tinned tobacco) along with collected woodland materials as needed for smoking including, carving makeshift pipes from scavenged wood etc.

During your first night at camp, you may utilize your pipe and old boy lighter from home, or other comfort items you regularly smoke with, but by 7am the next morning, they must be packed away and you will have to rely solely on your survival pipe roll and pipe tobacco kit for the rest of the class.

You will complete various timed exercises individually and as part of a team. Starting with opening a tin of Dunhill's Nightcap. Each deliverable is designed to make you more self reliant. If you don't give up on yourself, Peck won't give up on you.

(As a side note,I also have a lot of interest in, Chapter six, "tongue bite and how it can effect you during survival/dehydration").

Last but certainly not least, I am very excited in one of the master courses, "Emergency tools for opening tobacco tins, including, emergency hydraulic/electric powered and kinetic sets of useful pry tools designed for safely removing pipe tobacco tin lids while avoiding damaging your teeth." Here is a picture of the hydraulic tool designed for tin removal. :puffpipe:
qH4WjBc.jpg
vyaU4NF.jpg

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
Tough crowd.. :wink:

This is the first necrothread, that has made me really laugh hard, It is hilarious.

I almost have enough now for Pecks pipe smoking survival class.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No one's mentioned a Sawzall. Not only great for dividing a tin, but can be used to make nose warmers out of churchwardens.....
In all seriousness though, put the stuff in a mason jar pronto, unless you plan to smoke it all within a week.
Depends entirely where you live. Some places are too dry, some are too wet, and some are juuuuuuust right!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
How many posts does it take for Forums members to recommend a way to open a tin of tobacco? Take a quarter coin or a screwdriver; pffft. That's it'. Or just pull back the foil cover. Hold tin to nose, inhale deeply, ah.

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
Thanks Peck for bringing the joy; and thanks for bringing this thread back to the front page, Javan. It was this line by Peck that had me laughing with tears:
boilermakerandy - The pain in your words is palpable. PM and course syllabus sent. Welcome aboard.
:rofl:

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
How many posts does it take for Forums members to recommend a way to open a tin of tobacco?

well, if you look back at my mention of Pecks survival technique class, it's not quite as easy as some may think..
Prices have dramatically increased for the upcoming fall courses, I am sorry to report.
Just when I thought I had saved enough for the pipesmokers surviving the apocalypse guide course..

Status
Not open for further replies.