PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I eat my steak purple, the rarer the better. All my kids eat it medium rare, and know not to bring friends to the house who will not also eat it medium rare. I have a rule, my grill only cooks meat medium rare to rare and that is it. I eat my pork medium rare, lamb chops rare, fish medium rare, burgers rare.
I recently began buying Kobe burgers at the Publix near me and they are the best burgers I have ever grilled. They sell them in 4 packs and the patties are about 1/3 pound each. The package is only 10 bucks and it is American Kobe. If any of you have a Publix near you I recommend you looking for them. I ate two for dinner tonight. Cooked rare, topped with Havarti cheese, some onion and that is it, no ketchup needed.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
Well it looks like I'm the rare one here. I like mine well done. Maybe a hint of pink but that's it.
I know that feel, bro. Sometimes a well done steak is delicious. As I mentioned earlier, sometimes different temps are appropriate for different cuts. Shirt steak I like well done, as it melt/softens the fat and caramelizes the outside. Anything less and you'd have a chewy piece of fat.
Source: Before I worked in telecommunications I was a line cook at a couple restaurants, eventually making my way up to Sous Chef at a Hotel.
ITT: Folks hatin' on anything over medium. :wink:
EDIT: Remember earlier I said I prefer mine medium rare down to rare, but it's silly to equate well-done to being 'burnt'. A chef who knows what he is doing can differentiate between well-done, and something that is burned and dry.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Medium rare. High heat on my Traeger with their prime rib rub. Best steak I ever had that melted like butter in your mouth was a little hole in the wall restaurant in Long Beach, Wa. Grass fed from CO. Another great steak was in this funky steakhouse outside of Coeur d'Alene,ID between the woods and I-90. The guy who mentioned A1 usage(sacriledge :D) when at the funky steakhouse a guy who'd not eatin there before at the table next to us asked for Heinz 57 steaksauce. I about pooped my pants when he said that. The waitress asked nicely if he would taste the steak first before he put that rot gut on there. When his steak was put in front of him off came the cap and he turned the bottle upside down a drenched that poor piece of cow. I about got up and slapped the dog snot out of him.

hunter185

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2012
What a way to wreck a steak! Me: medium rare or rare. Live in cattle country and you'd get looks if you ordered anything else!

vaboatbuilder

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 7, 2012
sear it on both sides and bring it out, no steak sauce. I dont even want it on the table. Event tho the other night i had a prime rib with a creamy horse radish sauce on the side that was to kill for.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Dam Cigar, you just made me jelous. Ever try Bufflo meat burgers? I find them much tastier than beef, way more flavor.

revs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
Utah
Usually rare medium rare occasionally. Use to raid the freezer as a kid and drop T-bones in a cast iron skillet and sear the outside. By the time it was nice and blackened, the center had thawed and was perfect. Now, where did I put that skillet?
Went to a small restaurant on my wife's birthday one year and had a Delmonico steak almost 2 inches thick that I cut with a fork. It was rare and probably the best steak I ever had.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Charred black (hard and crispy) on the outside, with a thin raw band in the center.

The only way I know of to get it that way is to fry it in a red hot cast iron pan.

The trouble is, cooking it that way creates so much smoke you need an industrial vent hood to clear the air.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Although not many places cook it to my liking, I prefer Black and Blue. A pan must be scalding red hot, drop a steak on it with salt and pepper, until both sides are crisp. Since the pan is so hot it only takes a few minutes which leaves the inside almost raw. Now, THAT is a steak.

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
I like my steaks between rare and medium rare.. Also Buffalo Chilli is damn good... My father usually makes about four gallons at a time, and sends some my way..

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
must have missed this thread. I like "Skirt" steak with some slat/pepper and Pittsburgh style is the way I go. Mushrooms and onions on the side.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I also must have missed this thread.
I have a really good hot barbeque (lynx grill) that can reach quite high temperatures on one side of the grill (the 'searer' side) and then switch it over to the regular grilling side. So, I try to get the meat seared before finishing cooking, to medium rare.
Trouble is, I can never get it to where the steak houses do it. Their grills are so hot, the meat can be seared crispy on the outside without over doing the meat.
Of course, prime meat is a key too. Quite costly at a butcher, but Stew Leonards out here in NY offers prime meat at 17.99 lb, although I can't say its the very best of prime. It is very good, though.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Hmm, didn't see this the first time. I do like a well cooked medium rare steak when it's correctly cooked that way. Unfortunately, I'd rather have it a little more done than the blue abomination I was once served as a child, middle wasn't even warm. So, I often tend to order a steak medium in the hope that it will come out a tad underdone and closer to medium rare. I don't understand why it's so hard to cook a steak to order at most places.
That being said, I recall the tale of beer guru Charlie Bamforth who when asked how he would like his steak and being told, after asking for well done, "That isn't possible!" Hey, steak joint, if you don't want someone to have the steak cooked the way they want, don't bother asking, just bring it the way you feel it should be done. Seriously, it's like asking me what I want to drink. I inquire if you have iced tea. You say you do. I say I'll have iced tea and you tell me to pound sand.

kalvort

Might Stick Around
May 18, 2013
Medium Well!! Atleast that's how everyone likes their steaks on this side of the world!! (Middle East). Just curious though seems most of you guys from the US like it medium rare and bloody. Any health issues with that??????

Dec 24, 2012
Rare. There is no other way. I love BBQing, but nothing cooks a steak better than a scalding hot cast iron frying pan, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.