PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

estumpf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2013
I like a rib eye the best, on my grill, cooked my me, medium rare.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
Hi! I'm Mr. Exception! I want mine well done, no pink! A lot of that comes from being a science kid when I was young. Spent a lot of time over microscopes and rare meat is, well, just not something I can stomach (pun intended). It takes a real chef to cook it well done but not make it tough. Most any cook can get it rare. One of the reasons I seldom order steak in restaurants. Same goes for Margaritas: I make 'em better than most bartenders, at least the way I like 'em. Speaking of that, we're having Margaritas in a few minutes, and steak on the BBQ!

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
On a plate...

Ill eat any meat but my preference is medium rare to rare. Salt/pepper/ garlic/ butter I like sautéed mushrooms occasionally.

I do make a mean Tri-tip in the crock pot though.

Dec 24, 2012
I envy people who can eat steak well done. If your going to ruin the thing like that, you can buy any old cheap piece of shoe leather and cook the shit out of it. Alas, I like fine beef, cooked the way God intended it to be cooked.
takes a real chef to cook it well done
A "real" chef would probably tell you to go down the road to McDonalds. :nana:

tombraider

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2013
Med/Rare-Salt and Pepper, Baked potato with way too much butter and corn on the cob. Wash it down with a pitcher of iced tea.

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
My grill rare-medium depending on the cut and whats in the pipe. Lose track of time now and then.
Medium rare when when I dont fear for my life at a restaurant.
Gonna be cooking up quite a few tomorrow. Happy Labor Day and enjoy your meat.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Depends on the cut and the quality. Premium fillet mignon, I'll take medium rare. Lesser cuts, I like medium

to medium well. Never any steak sauce or other sauce, unless its onions fried in the pan juice. Steak sauce is

for ground steak burgers.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
A "real" chef would probably tell you to go down the road to McDonalds. [:nana:]
Probably true if the chef cares more about how (s)he thinks food should be prepared than his/her customer. The chefs I know take great pride in being able to cook anything, anyway, anytime. For them, it is the skill that is important, not the ego wrapped around someone's idea of what's right. Certainly, if you want a steak prepared a given way, and you are paying for it, you should get what you want. No different than with pipes and tobacco. You should get what you want if you are paying for it.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I prefer my steak rare to medium rare. To me it has better flavor that way. I usually like a nice steak dry drub on it and will usually drizzle a little steak sauce over it. Pair that with a big old baked potato and I'm a happy camper!

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I prefer my steak medium rare unless it's marinated in something then I prefer it a little more well done. So like a medium well.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
Most cuts I like rare. A few minutes a side on a hot cast iron pan. Some I'll take more medium rare, like chuck-eye, which is a cut I love, but needs a little extra heat to break up some connective tissue.
The thing that kills me is people ruining their porkchops. Trichinosis is basically eradicated, so there's no reason to cook pork to 165 or whatever they used to recommend.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
One a half inches thick, warmed up outside the fridge for one hour to bring it close to room temperature. Then into the Big Green Egg (at 400F) for six minutes per side, bringing it up to a nice medium rare.

Alternatively, I may take the trouble to cook it sous-vide, in which case I let it sit for a few hours bringing it up to 120°F, then take it out of the bag cook it for one minute per side usually in a cast iron skillet. Perfect medium rare every time.

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
Depends on the cut. Most of the time I like it medium. I like filets medium-rare. I like some pink, not all pink.

Status
Not open for further replies.