PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
For me, I like it rare. And I judge a steak by how much steak sauce I use. If it is good steak, no steak sauce. Sautéed mushrooms on the side. And a good bourbon.
Best steak I have ever eaten was at a place in Ottawa Canada.
Great, now I am hungry!!!
Jason

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Exceptionally rare. Or literally raw in a fancy tar tar dish. Or the time two friends and I went canoeing with one of the friend's sister and all her friends (you following this?!). Well the plan was for steak and chicken kabobs. However, her friends were dumb or something and couldn't get the fire going. We were standing around quite drunk (thus the likely "or something" before) and as we viewed the marinating raw steak, proceded to eat 3/4 of it before they started cooking. It was damn good and thanks to alcohol no one really noticed either! They just kept on bitchin, "Man, we shoulda brought more steak!" as my buddies and I sat and smiled, content with full stomachs, buzzed heads, and lit pipes!

scurvydog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 23, 2012
Very thick cut, cooked with charcoal only (maybe some hickory chips) high heat short time.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Knock a horn off and drag it across the coals.
Killer thread, Murdoc. Nicely done.
@Pipe Novelist: Thank you for the "Good Fellas" clip. I'm sure you know that Vinny, in same said clip, is director Martin Scorsese's dad and Joe Pesci's mother in the same film is Scorsese's mom. Scorsese was a student/prodigy of Francis Ford Coppola and, like him, turned his films into family movies.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
:worship: I'm with cajundad on this one.
Last time I ordered a steak I said: "Knock it between the horns, wipe its a$$, wave a lit match at it, then throw on the plate."

The waiter asked: "Aren't you afraid of Mad Cow."

I told him: "No. As long as it's unconscious it shouldn't complain."

Then he asked me: "Do you want sautéed mushrooms?"

To that I replied: "No thank you. The only thing I want is it to have a chance to recover... and a baked potato." :nana:

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I'm a medium to medium rare guy. My wife likes hers well done. I usually throw her steak on 10-15 minutes before mine. I made a makers mark marinade a month or so ago that was amazing.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Medium rare and the best steak I've ever had was at Peter Luger's 2 nights ago. I can still taste it.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Ah, memories - I worked in a couple of steakhouses while in college...
I like mine warm all the way through (no blue for me, thanks), so rare to medium rare.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Medium rare w/ some fashion of potato.
But I need a hunk of bread to clean my plate afterwards. I don't care if at the nicest restaurant in the world. My wife used to roll her eyes, but she's used to it now.
It took us three full generations to get what I have, I don't take it for granted. (EDIT: Didn't mean that to sound sanctimonious, just appreciative.)

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
Hard to say I like one temp for steak as there are many steaks and a temp for one might not be the right temp for another. It depends on the cut for me. If I'm eating a fattier steak like a ribeye then I prefer it on the medium rare to medium side, as I think it brings out the flavor more, and with fattier cuts if they're red and bloody they will be too chewy as well. If it's filet mignon I'll take it almost as rare as it will go.

Status
Not open for further replies.