How Concerned should Americans be about the Proposed Tax Hike?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stompthroat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 5, 2021
Maryland
People seem to find a way to get what they Really want. Some guys grow their own tobacco & process it. Heck, people have been doing so for centuries, way before any of the current tobacco companies were around. So I imagine people who Really want pipe tobacco will find a way to get it. Never underestimate human ingenuity.
But I also brew my own beer occasionally and it sucks. I don't just need a nicotine hit, I seek out complex blends, there's no way locally we could pull it out our butts. Not with any extraordinary time/money commitment.

I like your positivity, but I believe you are vastly underestimating how obnoxious governments have become!

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
But I also brew my own beer occasionally and it sucks. I don't just need a nicotine hit, I seek out complex blends, there's no way locally we could pull it out our butts. Not with any extraordinary time/money commitment.

I like your positivity, but I believe you are vastly underestimating how obnoxious governments have become!
Well actually, I’m very aware of history. But we pipesmokers are a tiny & easy target. If they come after us, and they will, there’s nothing within the system that we can do about it.

Reactions: Servant King

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Why is alcohol not under the same scrutiny as tobacco? You’d think that with how harmful and damaging that drug is that it would have ridiculous legislation in the works as well.
They tried that already. Now they just tax the hell out of it. Here, the tax on alcohol is tied to inflation, so that every week/month it becomes increasingly more expensive to drink.

As for harmful and damaging, pfft, only when the imbiber allows it do become so. Same as tobacco, really.

Reactions: JOHN72

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Why is alcohol not under the same scrutiny as tobacco? You’d think that with how harmful and damaging that drug is that it would have ridiculous legislation in the works as well.
Ever heard of Prohibition? Remember how successful that was?

There are a lot of toxic things that should be banned, like automobiles or cable "news". T'ain't gonna happen because there's too much money involved. On the other hand, tobacco is already widely unpopular due to decades of messaging, and more "death by a thousand cuts" isn't going to make a significant ripple.

So, again, rather than worry about the inevitable, focus on what you want to do in the face of it. You can quit pipes and tobaccos , and save yourself a lot of costs, and possibly your health, or you can jump in with the rest of us sickos, and buy what you like now, as much as you can afford.

It doesn't matter whether it's this tax law or the next one, because at some point the final "cut" will arrive.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
If the segment that wants to tax us to the brink of extinction wins the battle with the forces of evil who want it absolutely forbidden is about the best result we can hope for. Only those that are "cellared up" can afford to laugh at it. And they have to worry about house fires.

• Haha
Reactions: gervais

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Only those that are "cellared up" can afford to laugh at it
If you have the funds you'll be able to purchase blends. Governments value the taxes and world wide demand pretty much dictates blends will be available somewhere at some cost. So, make money and, if you are wired that way, build a cellar. It's like water in So. California, those who can afford it ... will have it.

biz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2020
Florida
I'm expecting the worst. Hoping for the best. I will have enough cellared for me, for the rest of my life soon. I feel sorry for the younger guys. I don't think this tax is right. Pipe smoking is the least of the worries America has right now. Government over reach is out of control right now.

Reactions: Aomalley27 and RonB

coldbowl57

Might Stick Around
Aug 12, 2021
Slc, Utah
I agree, that we should be concerned about any increase in ANY tax. Let alone tobacco tax. I have lived in Utah for most of my life. and in this state, if it can be classed as a "sin" they will slap a tax on it. so that they can get a cut of the action. like the expression says "it will never be any cheaper than it is right now" i am looking forward to building my cellar and will try my best to buy as much and as often as i can.( if that means i order things and have them sent to family member who lives in a another state who, will in turn, re-send it to me so be it).

Status
Not open for further replies.