How Concerned should Americans be about the Proposed Tax Hike?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bivymack

Lurker
Sep 25, 2021
Tennessee
Please capitalize important words in title.

Being a newcomer to the pastime I can’t help but feel anxious and a developing sense of urgency regarding access and expense. Anyone with experience or historical knowledge have any insight?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: chopper

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Being a newcomer to the pastime I can’t help but feel anxious and a developing sense of urgency regarding access and expense. Anyone with experience or historical knowledge have any insight?
Some blends have doubled in price over the past eight years, I can't imagine it getting any better. The deeming is what got me the most concerned several years ago to the point that my cellar will likely outlive me and my kids.

Bivymack

Lurker
Sep 25, 2021
Tennessee
Some blends have doubled in price over the past eight years, I can't imagine it getting any better. The deeming is what got me the most concerned several years ago to the point that my cellar will likely outlive me and my kids.
A month in and I’ve already got 23 tins/mason jars cellared away based on my favorite blends so far. Why can’t they just let folks do what makes them happy, who are we hurting? Insurance companies, I suppose…

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
A month in and I’ve already got 23 tins/mason jars cellared away based on my favorite blends so far. Why can’t they just let folks do what makes them happy, who are we hurting? Insurance companies, I suppose…
Pursuit of happiness until it infringes on other's pursuits. It took me thirty years to get my cellar where it is now and throughout the process, tobacco prices continually rose so nothing new, just more of the same.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The costs of smoking are always going to go up. Just like food, autos, houses, etc, prices tend to trend always up. Sometimes they'll drop but, not often and never permanently. People wnat their wages to go up to keep up with prices. Prices have to rise to pay the wage increases. So, if you are into smoking or, just living, plan your life so you have the moneys to enjoy the lifestyle you desire.

When taxes go up, prices go up. Consumers pay the taxes of business.

So, smoking costs climb eternally. It's how the world works. You gotta plan for it and, if you are working for wages, learn to invest so you can keep ahead of the increases. If you don't, all you can do is complain, wring your hands, run in circles and pee down your leg.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
People seem to find a way to get what they Really want. Some guys grow their own tobacco & process it. Heck, people have been doing so for centuries, way before any of the current tobacco companies were around. So I imagine people who Really want pipe tobacco will find a way to get it. Never underestimate human ingenuity.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Americans need to be right concerned.
Nanny State Australia is the best example of how governments [on both 'sides' of politics] will treat smokers with utter contempt given the chance.

A 50g tin is now around $125. I shit you not.
The high taxes are simply a cash grab.

www.pipesandcigars.com has sent out an email urging pipe and cigar smokers to contact their congressman and Senator to vote no to the proposed 2100% tax increase [Politicians do pay attention when they receive letters and emails from enough angry constituents]
Pipes and Cigars have a link to find your representatives.
Every American smoker needs to do this now because once implemented no amount of whinging will reverse the treachery against citizens.

I've been advising Americans since finding pipe forums to stock up on as much tobacco as one can afford while tobacco is so reasonably priced.

Storing tobacco is an investment. Should shit ever hit the fan, tobacco would be a valuable trade item.
Prices will only ever go up.
Tobacco, properly stored, will keep for decades.
Many blends improve with age.

Unless money is not an issue, forget about tins and buy by the pound.
Don't buy quantity according to what will satisfy your lifetime requirements but rather think of friends and future smokers [Think of the kiddies]

Don't worry too much about ordering 'too much' of one blend. You'll always be able to swap blends with members here. At this point, quantity is way more important than any other consideration because once it's 50c a gram, any tobacco is better than no tobacco.

Believe me; at $125 for 50g, I'd be content to smoke OTC blends if I could buy them at present U.S. prices.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
People seem to find a way to get what they Really want. Some guys grow their own tobacco & process it. Heck, people have been doing so for centuries, way before any of the current tobacco companies were around. So I imagine people who Really want pipe tobacco will find a way to get it. Never underestimate human ingenuity.
True that but there's always the risk that authorities will use health concerns as an excuse to ban growing tobacco for personal use. [The real reason of course is to have smokers dependent on highly taxed commercial products]

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
lots of worst things to worry about, such as general disinterest in pipes which is a much bigger threat.
I just hit my 7 IMP goal the other day and all that's left on my list are tye annual Halloween and Santa commissions. They to though have a goal of 7 each so I would say my interest is winding down.

• Haha
Reactions: JOHN72
Status
Not open for further replies.