PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Just had to move mine to make way for the wee bairn that's coming, I should have counted. It takes up four 27 gallon totes filled to the brim with tins.

monkeylyf

Lurker
Nov 1, 2018
Always buy more than I smoke and never track the exact number. A rough guess, 20~25 lbs.

At the beginning of 2018, a friend of mine set a goal that we both cellar around 200 tins(50 grams) or equivalent amount of baccy but none of us achieved the goal, not even close. Thus this year we bring it down to 100 tins, with a constraint that those 100 tins should be the ones that we never smoked before.

Let the cellar grow, they say. :puffpipe:

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
OUEGgjl.jpg

2XWL6Fc.jpg

some of it...

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I love looking at photos of peoples stashes of tobacco. I have around 45lbs, scattered in jars for bulk and a couple of totes for tins. The most of my collection comprises of lat heavy and American english blends. I used to go pretty hard a few years ago, but I cut back on the smoking and the buying this last year. When I see specials for my favorites go up, I'll buy some and take advantage of free shipping.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I think I'm approaching 80 pounds. My PAD and TAD have slowed down, as I feel pretty secure about my position.
If they ban pipe cleaners, however, I may come up short. Have to work on my...PCAD? :lol:
jay-roger.jpg

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Wow ... some people here have some storage rooms full of tobacco, enough for a few generations. I guess my question would be, how much is enough? I have a few kgs, and at the rate I am smoking, it is too much. If you view it from a pragmatic smoking view, cellaring hundreds of pounds is pure madness. If you view pipe tobacco collecting just like any other collectible, for say like coins or stamps, then I would say some of your collections are very impressive.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Something I consider regarding my cellar is how long I could continue smoking what I have if all tobacco sales ceased tomorrow. I'm young (25), so it would theoretically take me a lot more tobacco than some of our more seasoned members.
I keep track of poundage in a spreadsheet, but I also keep a running tab of how long it would take me to smoke my existing stock. I use the rough estimate of 150 bowls per pound of tobacco (I think I saw that on here some time ago), and estimate how long before I ran out at a reasonable amount of smoking (5 bowls/week) and my worst case scenario (2 bowls/week).
As of right now, my 21-ish pounds means that I can sustain 5 bowls per week for 13 years, and 2 bowls per week for 33 years. Still only gets me to age 58 in worst case scenario mode, so clearly I'm planning to keep stocking up!

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I look at it this way. The average bowl weighs .12 oz. That's 133 bowls per pound. If I average 2 bowls a day and live for another 35 years I've got 12,775 days to go or 25,550 bowls to smoke. 25.550/133 = 192.11 pounds of tobacco.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have about 25-30 lbs. I try and add a pound or two every few months. I'm not an everyday smoker, so I have no idea how long it will last. At 4 grams per bowl and 3 pipe fulls a week, that's 20-21 years of tobacco.

I lost count of the actual weight, when the iPhone Pipetool app was discontinued by the worthless scumbag developer. At the time of it's crash, I was peaking over 200lbs. I vaguely kept up count to 250 lbs, but for the last three or more years, I just keep a mental record of putting in more than I take out. With my own homegrown tobacco harvests, I have a good guess at how much is in the cellar. But, it would be boastful to post my estimations. Besides, it's like my wife says, "I could care less what you do with it, as long as it's really big." :puffy:
Have I mentioned what a scumbag I think the developer is? Why would someone just let their excellent pipe smoking app just go without keeping it updated? And, to re-inventory my tobacco would be worse than my year end business inventory. I'll just forgo the fancy apps and websites... because of the scumbag Pipetool app guy. Screw him. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.