Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

donperique

Lurker
Jan 11, 2019
@Spartacus, Voorhees
I wonder if there are cigarette smoker out there, calculating the same way ...

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Cosmic, I absolutely agree with you about The Pipetool app and the tool that let it go away. It was easy to use and my entire cellar was in it.
After the app became unusable I just logged what I had once on a spread sheet and really don't deal with it.
Did I say I completely agree with you about the creator being a scumbag?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
My cellar is about 900’sq. It’s not all usable, the stairs and fireplace/chimney suck up some space, and the utilities, too. Either eay, it’s pretty much packed with all manner of crap. Enough crap to last the rest of my life.
Michael, I’m interested in your opinion of the Pipetool app’s developer. Wadda ya’ think?

Here is a rare photograph of the Pipetool App creator at work... BTW, it was an awesome app, for those who didn't use it. It was going great and did everything you could want. So be weary of investing too much time on keeping your cellar recorded on an app or website. What if tomorrow it wasn't there?
Anyway, here's the pic...
headupass.jpg

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Congratulations on the baby(?) lochinvar. My "cellar" has always been only a month's worth of tobacco in my desk drawer. Even if I had the funds to lay in a big supply, have always been leery to do so given the horror stories I'm always hearing of folks opening up their tobacco containers to find moldy tobacco which would be a big $ disappointment to say the least.

...folks opening up their tobacco containers to find moldy tobacco which would be a big $ disappointment to say the least

Any investment is a gamble. My advise to anyone would be, if you can't afford the loss, then avoid the gamble. I have had to throw away pounds of things at a time. Despite folks suggesting this or that prevention, the fact is, you will lose some things.
Know yourself, and to know that you cannot afford the risk is a great start to just staying out of the game.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Sorry to hear about the Pipetool app. Too bad that my preferred app, Memento Database, isn’t available on iOS. It’s a customizable database for Android, Windows, Mac, and Linux with many publicly-available templates. I found a pipe tobacco cellar template and then made a few tweeks for my own preferences. The beautiful thing about Memento is that the database can be exported (and imported!) to/from Google Sheets. The worst case scenario is that Memento goes away, but my exported data remains.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Cosmic....
Don't be lazy.
Pen and paper never crash.

Never need updating.

And looks much cooler that way.
I'm going to start a paper log....
" 4 tubs Carter Hall"

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I am impressed gents :worship:

Not a clue, not really. About 8 square meters ? It is a genuine cellar; steep stair,dark, cold and dry, no mice ( so far ). The stash will probably outlive me since I'm a very light ( outdoor ) smoker.

Amongst it one big cardboard box stuffed with genuine last Dunhill indoor production SMM , about ten "tall boy" tins of that heavenly stuff too.

All in top condition.

Some rare American tins, hard to obtain here and old english tins, original F&T Wingate mixture and so on.Need to get rid of some.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
So, let me get this straight, Cosmic: The Pipe Tool still exists online. But you were using the Pipe Tool phone app. The developer abandoned the app without warning, and your data wasn't preserved in the online version? The app and the online version were separate entities?

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I use tobaccocellar just for things I plan on keeping to age.
Pros would be that it is easy to add inventory. Easy to add new blends that are not listed. Then I just print the page out for my records.
The cons would be it is no longer updated so it could be gone at any moment which makes me more nervous than a whore in church. Can’t really read it on a cellphone.
I can glance at it and see my oldest tin is from 1993 and 22% of my listed inventory is straight Virginia’s.

No, the PipeTool was an app(only) that I started using before there were any other apps and no online places to use. It was the one tossed about on here when I first started. One of the developers is/was a beloved member here. He went on to make another online app that had nothing to do with PipeTool, maybe tobaccocellar... but I am not 100% sure of which one exactly. Now both are no longer supported. Then another one used the name pipetool online. Basically, these are all started by altruistic pipe smokers who lost interest in putting forth the work to maintain these sites, with no consideration for the guys who were religiously using their apps and sites.
3rdguy, my suggestion is to get any information that you can on your inventory from that site, and make spreadsheets.

And, as I said, I have no motivation at all to take another inventory of my tobacco. Paper or spreadsheets, it aint going to happen.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The Pipe Tool had the ability to download your file in a csv format. That means it was easy to put it right into an Excel file. I found the app a bit cumbersome to use so I simply created my own little Excel file to track it.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Sometimes a bit scary when you total the cost though!

Neal
Not including that. Too hard to keep track of all that and there's always the chance my wife would see it. It's spent, gone, etc., no need to remind myself and get depressed. LOL

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
I'm like Mark and Neal, and use an excel sheet I made myself.... And absolutely do not track cost, as that is unimportant. I'm tracking tobacco dammit!

A little tip on keeping up with costs... DONT!! My wife brags about getting a hold of her first husband's inventory of firearms. He was trying to get half of her business, and it was Admission #1 in court, that got him to back off of trying to get any of her business. It can also be used against you for reasons for divorce, putting you to blame and possibly (depending on the state) be used to prove that half of all costs in your hobby are due to her. However it works, finding that inventory sheet is always the "Lex Luthor finding the kryptonite" move when my wife tells the story.
My advice is that (as far as she is concerned) all pipes costs $50 and tobacco is so cheap that it's practically free.

Status
Not open for further replies.