PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm assuming same procedure for the balsa filters? ? (Yes, the reason I want a Savinelli pipe is the balsa filter.) Those are even more porous! But they're so cheap I could experiment with those, dipping them in absinthe and putting them out to dry: no real loss if one gets ruined, and the absinthe would make for a more flavourful smoke. ?
Ever try a pipe cleaner?

• Wow
Reactions: olkofri

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Ever try a pipe cleaner?

Interesting. I might give that a try on an unfiltered churchwarden I have that always bites me when I smoke it, no matter what the blend.

Reactions: Chasing Embers
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The frustration is that you're a helpless baby who can't figure out how to disinfect his own pipe. We're in a world crisis, just don't buy a bloody pipe right now.

I could only click love this once so I'll post it and comment how much I love your blunt assessment. Definitely made me laugh.

Reactions: hauntedmyst

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'm assuming same procedure for the balsa filters? ? (Yes, the reason I want a Savinelli pipe is the balsa filter.) Those are even more porous! But they're so cheap I could experiment with those, dipping them in absinthe and putting them out to dry: no real loss if one gets ruined, and the absinthe would make for a more flavourful smoke. ?

Sure, but why waste the absinthe?

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
I have talked to Alberto Montini, the owner of Mastro de Paja, and he is istaying home with his wife to be safe. He said that none of his family have been infected but that they are taking it very seriously and being safe.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
And how are you going to disinfect the pipe cleaner before use as a filter?

And don’t get me into disinfecting the everclear. Sounds tricky. I hear Zoloft sometimes works.

;)

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
And how are you going to disinfect the pipe cleaner before use as a filter?
Haha! I got those Brigham cleaners pre-pandemic. Though, post-pandemic ones could just be put in full light of the sun for a couple of hours. The sun kills everything, one reason I don't like it!

I hear Zoloft sometimes works.
Not as good as gin, mate. ;)

So are you going to get a new pipe or no?
I wanted to, but I don't qualify for any of the governmental emergency relief 'aid' (other than the GST credit, which is nothing, really) and I'm already in red numbers... yeah, I know it's only the second day of the month; and with everything closed I don't see how to get out of the hole. :rolleyes: So I think I must give that Qandale a miss for a while. Anybody want a leather belt, wallet, pipe pouch...? ? (It's Italian leather, though, so, if you're leery of Italy....)

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
Ditto, but this particular bug needs at least 65% alcohol. Vodka is out. And I'd use only non-denatured ethanol: I don't wipe my pipe with liquids I wouldn't drink.

I use Don Q 151 Rum. It is the highest proof drinking alcohol I can buy in SoCal. Just don't get it on the pipe finish or the outside of the stem. It will strip off the pipe finish and the stem shine quickly. It does work well on all the innards. Plus you can have a cocktail while cleaning your pipes....

Reactions: instymp

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
151 rum here too or everclear.
Buy the pipe, let the package that you handled with your disposable glove sit in your garage or wherever for a week or....

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No need to waste good drinkable stuff on a pipe. And alcohol can remove some of the minerals that make briar so fire resistant.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
I just purchased a pipe from LePipe from Italy. Sale was easy as usual and shipping via DHL took only 4 days. They are only shipping via DHL. No Italian Post-USPS.

Reactions: cornedbeef
Jan 27, 2020
I’m in the middle of the worse of the outbreak here in ths USA, I literally hear ambulance sirens all day long, I go to the grocery store everywhere day wearing my mask and disinfecting my hands frequently, keeping my distance etc., and myself and my girlfriend have showed no symptoms as of yet. I also mail and receive parcels weekly and simply spray my packages with disinfectant before opening them. I would not hesitate to order anything from anywhere if I had the money to do so.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Ditto, but this particular bug needs at least 65% alcohol. Vodka is out. And I'd use only non-denatured ethanol: I don't wipe my pipe with liquids I wouldn't drink.
190 Proof Grain Alcohol is 95% alcohol. I will admit to drinking it in my younger day.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

bermuda

Lurker
May 30, 2019
Being in the retail side of the pipe business I am in constant contact with my sales representative from Laudisi Distribution Group, the U.S. distributor of Savinelli pipes and he tells me the factory in Milano is shut down completely so I should expect a shortage of inventory availability for some months. I would surmise that this might create quite a spike upward in Savinelli pipes for awhile, especially among the high grade like Giubileos and Autographs.