Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Would you care for a pillow while we solve all your problems for you? Go test it out!
I mean if your gonna test it out then you need a control, so one pipe with and one pipe without the virus and the see which one makes you sick?! Also, don't put a pipe in the microwave if it has any metal bits they tend to make things go boom!!

I do like the Nuke option, though.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Would you care for a pillow while we solve all your problems for you? Go test it out!
$170 is too much for an experiment, thank you.

I don't have any basket pipes to test it out. I was merely asking, in case someone has done it and could report on the issue.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Much more danger in the packaging than there would be the pipe. As has been said, viruses cannot survive indefinitely. Quarantine your package for a month and you'd be more than safe.

Probably excessive. The best (and I think only) recent study suggests the virus lives for up to 24 hours on cardboard. See: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/03/200320192755.htm; a pdf of the entire original article is available to anyone wanting to do a deeper dive into the methodology and findings.

Under the assumption the guy who delivers boxes might be infected we wait a day to open them, although I imagine a Lysol spray or wipe would work if you don’t want to wait.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Probably excessive. The best (and I think only) recent study suggests the virus lives for up to 24 hours on cardboard. See: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/03/200320192755.htm; a pdf of the entire original article is available to anyone wanting to do a deeper dive into the methodology and findings.

Under the assumption the guy who delivers boxes might be infected we wait a day to open them, although I imagine a Lysol spray or wipe would work if you don’t want to wait.
I've been ripping open the envelopes/parcels taking care not to touch the contents, then chuck the former, wash my hands, then handle the latter. Then wash my hands afterwards.

So far, I don't think I've pissed the mail guys off to the point they'd spit on my parcels and rub it all over.

• Haha
Reactions: SpookedPiper

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Castello came from Tabaccheria Corti today. Six calendar days to middle of nowhere Canada. Washed the stem in water and soap, rinsed the stummel in water, laid to dry. I won’t get to smoke for some time anyway.

Great business. I’m used to Italian products looking nicer than they work. Castello and Tabaccheria Corti have both bucked that trend.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Castello came from Tabaccheria Corti today. Six calendar days to middle of nowhere Canada. Washed the stem in water and soap, rinsed the stummel in water, laid to dry. I won’t get to smoke for some time anyway.

Great business. I’m used to Italian products looking nicer than they work. Castello and Tabaccheria Corti have both bucked that trend.
Pics or it didn't happen! ?

Reactions: Papamique

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I won't be buying any pipes from any where. I am also not buying tobacco.
I don't believe one fucking word that is being spouted by our government. They are fucking guessing and trying to ward off a world wide panic.
The head doctor guy from Harvard who is supposed to be the expert on this shit put into an article a couple of days ago that he expects 2.5-5 billion will be infected. He said 40-70 percent of the world .

Reactions: logs

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
The head doctor guy from Harvard who is supposed to be the expert on this shit put into an article a couple of days ago that he expects 2.5-5 billion will be infected. He said 40-70 percent of the world .

I've been reading that as well. Quite a few experts have been quoted as predicting 70% infected. You're probably not a New York Times guy, but they've been covering the pandemic pretty well (probably because they're right in the middle of the worst hot spot in the US).

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I've been reading that as well. Quite a few experts have been quoted as predicting 70% infected. You're probably not a New York Times guy, but they've been covering the pandemic pretty well (probably because they're right in the middle of the worst hot spot in the US).

The NY Times is one of the only sources I believe. I also put some faith in the Washington Times and Boston Globe.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
The NY Times is one of the only sources I believe. I also put some faith in the Washington Times and Boston Globe.
Well, that's your problem right there: believing Fear Factory.

I can't believe some are frustrated about my paranoia over the Wuhan virus living in the micropores of a briar pipe whilst at the same time freaking out about contagion if someone walks within 8 metres of them or yelling at people for grabbing a damn vegetable and then putting it back on the tray at the supermarket. :rolleyes:

Reactions: shanez

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I can't believe some are frustrated about my paranoia over the Wuhan virus living in the micropores of a briar pipe whilst at the same time freaking out about contagion if someone walks within 8 metres of them or yelling at people for grabbing a damn vegetable and then putting it back on the tray at the supermarket. :rolleyes:

The frustration is that you're a helpless baby who can't figure out how to disinfect his own pipe. We're in a world crisis, just don't buy a bloody pipe right now.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
The frustration is that you're a helpless baby who can't figure out how to disinfect his own pipe. We're in a world crisis, just don't buy a bloody pipe right now.
Oh. The crow calling the raven black. Looks like everyone is a helpless baby right now. Fear and hysteria have reverted everyone to his inner child, all too willing to give up their freedoms for a little 'safety'.

• Haha
Reactions: logs

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
What concerns me the most is whether you can get infected by buying a pipe from Italy/France/&c. and smoking it without a proper disinfection procedure!

Simply quarantining the pipe after you receive it will allow all virus to disappear in time. How long? Probably 4-5 days would do it, but why not two weeks to be extra extra careful?

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Sorry jpmcwjr, reasonably solutions do not apply. Those darn Italian pipes. Let's seal up them micropores so Olkofri can get back to shopping. EVERYBODY, CHOP CHOP!

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Simply quarantining the pipe after you receive it will allow all virus to disappear in time. How long? Probably 4-5 days would do it, but why not two weeks to be extra extra careful?
I'm assuming same procedure for the balsa filters? ? (Yes, the reason I want a Savinelli pipe is the balsa filter.) Those are even more porous! But they're so cheap I could experiment with those, dipping them in absinthe and putting them out to dry: no real loss if one gets ruined, and the absinthe would make for a more flavourful smoke. ?