PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just speculating, but it seems that artisans who pretty much work solo, the ones who actually do, would do alright based on their habits, if they don't see people much. The pipe factories would have the problems of every other work place. The most current story I've heard is that the virus lives only a short time, hours, on hard smooth surfaces, like metal or glass, but can go for up to two weeks or so on soft porous surfaces like cloth, cardboard, paper, etc. If either a efficacious drug therapy or safe and effective vaccine turn up, that might shut this off in a finite time. Without that, it will ebb and flow seasonally until that is provided ... that's one theory. Social distancing is a temporary breaking of the chain of transmission. No fresh hosts, no disease.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I ordered a couple of pipes one from Croatia and another from Italy. The tracking number on the Croatian one is stalled for over 10 days now and the guy in Italy wasn't allowed to mail the pipe as he said they don't have the proper procedures in place to mail goods to America at this time.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
If you run the alcohol though the pipe you should be good, yes the briar is porous but it won't absorbe the virus. Those are my thoughts anyway. Clean it was you would any estate pipe

wulfheard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2018
New Jersey
"The New England Journal of Medicine just published a study that tested how long the covid 19 virus can remain stable on different kinds of surfaces within a controlled laboratory setting. They found that it was still detectable on copper for up to four hours, on cardboard for up to 24 hours, and on plastic and steel for up to 72 hours.

But it’s important to note that the amount of virus decreased rapidly over time on each of those surfaces. And so the risk of infection from touching them would probably decrease over time as well."

Also if the contents of a package does happen to be contaminated and it is in transit for more than 2 or 3 days, chances are the contamination will no longer be active when it reaches it's destination. You are more likely to become contaminated by handling the outside surfaces of the packaging and even that is remote. If it is a concern, wipe the packaging down with disinfectant and the wash your hand thoroughly afterward.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I think it's more reasonable to be worried about contamination from the outside of the box than from the pipe in the box. Mailman could have coughed on it. Same is true for every piece of your mail.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
"The New England Journal of Medicine just published a study that tested how long the covid 19 virus can remain stable on different kinds of surfaces within a controlled laboratory setting. They found that it was still detectable on copper for up to four hours, on cardboard for up to 24 hours, and on plastic and steel for up to 72 hours.

But it’s important to note that the amount of virus decreased rapidly over time on each of those surfaces. And so the risk of infection from touching them would probably decrease over time as well."

Also if the contents of a package does happen to be contaminated and it is in transit for more than 2 or 3 days, chances are the contamination will no longer be active when it reaches it's destination. You are more likely to become contaminated by handling the outside surfaces of the packaging and even that is remote. If it is a concern, wipe the packaging down with disinfectant and the wash your hand thoroughly afterward.
And if you do that, you might as well wipe every piece of mail because they are just as (un)likely to harbor the virus.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
If you're that concerned, don't buy any Italian pipes for a few months. I'd be way more concerned about the packaging than I would be the pipe. How many people do you think have handled, or come within 6 ft of, any given package before it reaches your doorstep? Much more danger in the packaging than there would be the pipe. As has been said, viruses cannot survive indefinitely. Quarantine your package for a month and you'd be more than safe.

Other alternative, run the hottest tap water through the pipe for a few minutes prior to smoking. I do this after smoking each pipe anyway to clean it (not a couple of minutes, more like 30 seconds).

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I dunno how things are going but SP just released the Savinelli Raffaello and I might have to own one. If I do order one I'll be sure to ask for the corona free version...