PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I'd suggest a hot air popcorn popper for around $25 to start with, and a sampler of green beans from a supplier. If you want to spend more and get something a bit more substantial, I've had good luck with a Fresh Roast roaster until I wore the 1st one out (10-15 yrs of use) and burned the 2nd one up :). They'll set you back about $150 but the popcorn popper get's you past the 1st crack of the roasting beans and into the delicious flavor region (about 400 F) for a lot less money. I've had good service from sweetmarias.com (no affiliation) plus they have a bunch of helpful videos and articles. I keep my roaster on a worktable in the garage and dump the beans in each week, usually about 6 minutes roasting time and then a 3 minute cool down--10 minutes I'm wrapped up & ready for the plunge pot (no filter expense) or La Marzoco Mini the next day for a double shot :)). Good to go. Whatever you like is what counts!! Shoot, I recall the "coffee mess" after Parris Island and that Maxwell House tasted good 40+ years back :)). Never had time for any on PI ;-) About 3 minutes in the chow hall and it was out the door!
kindly
mike
This is great guidance!

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Surely a wok, while not ideal, may be an OK way to roast beans as long as you watch it and stir the beans frequently?

I have seen beans being roasted on wood fires in Indonesia and the coffee tasted great.
The coffee came out pretty good, but my arms were incredibly tired hahaha. One second too long without movement and the beans get scorched and the taste suffers. I’ve also done it over a campfire...popcorn poppers are much less effort!

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I'd suggest a hot air popcorn popper for around $25 to start with, and a sampler of green beans from a supplier.
Will any popcorn machine do or does it need to have temperature control? The ones I have found so far only have an on/off switch so wouldn't allow you to set the roasting temperature.

Reactions: danimalia
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I started out with a popcorn popper and moved to the current Behmor 1600. I would like a Hottop but really like doing full 1 pound roasts. I also roast for two of my neighbors, so reducing capacity is not really possible and the next step up is in the thousands of dollars...
I almost went with the Behmor before deciding on the SR800 air roaster. Going to a professional sampling roaster eventually would certainly be great. The SR800 tops out at 8oz and can struggle depending on how much chafe is clogging up the collector. How does the Behmor handle it?

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
I almost went with the Behmor before deciding on the SR800 air roaster. Going to a professional sampling roaster eventually would certainly be great. The SR800 tops out at 8oz and can struggle depending on how much chafe is clogging up the collector. How does the Behmor handle it?
It does struggle with darker roasts, but you can do smaller weight in the drum but still run it like a full pound. My only issues have been self induced, not catching the safety shutoff before the time limit, running in manual mode and letting it get too hot, etc. All built-in safety features.

I get very consistent roasts and have been doing it for so long I can pretty accurately reproduce my different roasts (at least to my palate)

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Turns out I have been in Lightmybriars coffee shop many times. Small world...

FYI...BEST Espresso in the City (and I am an espresso hound).
How cool is this? Too funny! Very glad you like the espresso, we are very proud of it! Hope the silly decor and unending goofiness of my brothers and me doesn’t detract from the coffee too much ?. Your next espresso is on the house!

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
How cool is this? Too funny! Very glad you like the espresso, we are very proud of it! Hope the silly decor and unending goofiness of my brothers and me doesn’t detract from the coffee too much ?. Your next espresso is on the house!
<-- As you can tell I am a Deadhead. Saw my first show at Riverfront with Donna in '75. I fit in just fine with your décor. lol

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I had a coffee bean plant a few years ago. Took about 3 years for it to reach age for beans then I roasted them in the oven. Made some great coffee....just something I did for fun. If I had 28 plants I would be set!
Did you grow them indoors? Never done this, but interested!

Reactions: danimalia

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I started out with a popcorn popper and moved to the current Behmor 1600. I would like a Hottop but really like doing full 1 pound roasts. I also roast for two of my neighbors, so reducing capacity is not really possible and the next step up is in the thousands of dollars...
I don't need that much for the week so the Quest M3 works for me--plus I think you got a lot more gadgets and gehaws with the Behmor than the Quest (i.e. riding mower vs push mower without a motor :); actually, I think that's the point or purposes for each of them (in my limited informed opinion) :). I recall thinking the Behmor just provides a lot more nuanced awareness of what's going in with those beans as they heat. I just listen for the crack--watch the second hand sweep a few more seconds and try not too drink too much liquor or beer in between times! :))). REally--that's a big distraction for me since I can lose track of time quite easily when I get into my cups...LOL

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I love your machine! I too had Fresh Roast machines--2 of 'em. The 1st one died after 10-15 years (closer to 15 I think). The 2nd one melted when I forgot a batch and set it on fire! Happily I got the burning melting goop that used to be the roaster out into the driveway and outside the garage before catching it also on fire!! Note to self--get the timer! :)

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
<-- As you can tell I am a Deadhead. Saw my first show at Riverfront with Donna in '75. I fit in just fine with your décor. lol
Wish I could come too, where is this place--I'm in a little town in NE Texas? Never a deadhead--always curious and a little in awe--looked like they/you'all know how to enjoy life! Course, in '75 I think I remember some of those GD songs were REALLY long--like some Zappa--and I was too easily distracted before the end of the song as I smoked my pipe :) (or someone elses LOL).

Espresso, fresh roasted beans, pipes -- refined musical taste -- where is this dang coffee shop? I wanna come, can I go, can I go, huh Huh????? :--)))))

ahinesdesign

Lurker
Jan 4, 2021
NC, USA
I was a home roast fanatic for years. Started with a popcorn popper, moved to larger home roasting appliances, then built my own gas-fired contraption. It got so bad eventually that I was buying full 60-70 kilo bags directly from importers because of how much coffee I was drinking... I’ve never found a commercial coffee, even the specialty high end roast-in-shop places, that could compete with a good home roast.

I really loved Ethiopian varieties, “raisin” coffees (coffee cherry dried into raisins before normal processing, mostly from Yemen but sometimes Brazil), and Central American bourbons.

I had some medical issues a few years ago that changed my tolerance for strong flavors, and have not had coffee since...