PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I am always a bit tongue in cheek when talking about my preference for darker roasts. I do think the lighter roast fans have a point about more of the terroir or whatever of a bean coming through with light to medium roasts, but that roasted flavor and character is a huge part of what I associate with, and crave, in a coffee. That said, I am trying to expand my horizons a bit and that is part of why I am curious about home roasting. It would give me the opportunity to sample beans and roasts in a much more economical way than spending $15-20+ on a full bag of pre roasted coffee I might not even enjoy.

BTW, which espressos or coffees do you like to use as the base for your cappuccini?
I'm enjoying an inexpensive online brand. I'll have to look it up in a bit.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Sweet Maria's has a popcorn popper with a 4 lb sampler set available (link) - it is less expensive than the sampler without the popcorn popper (link).

@danimalia

For that price, you might as well start with the popcorn popper while you wait to purchase a better roaster. You’d probably learn a few things in the process and be better prepared to use one of the dedicated roasters, as well.

I’m in if you’re in.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
BTW, which espressos or coffees do you like to use as the base for your cappuccini?
My Better Half likes her cappucini with lots of foam, bean variety is irrelevant as long as it's not a dark Sumatra--she doesn't even mind Robusta (Sweet Maria sold a selection of Robusta that was the best they could find a while back, to give customers something in contrast with their other beans). I don't care for the Robusta. As for beans for cappucino or esspresso--I don't have a favorite and I no longer roast the beans darkly. I use whatever beans I put in the plunge pot. Whatever you can come up with works, as long as you enjoy the cup.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
@danimalia

For that price, you might as well start with the popcorn popper while you wait to purchase a better roaster. You’d probably learn a few things in the process and be better prepared to use one of the dedicated roasters, as well.

I’m in if you’re in.
Well, shit, at that price, I'd almost be a sucker NOT to take the plunge. I mean, one pound of roasted coffee goes for twenty American dollars at a lot of fancy roasters. Now, I also need to add in an extra sampler (one of the espresso friendly samplers, and one regular), along with some Yemeni beans since I have always been curious about them, maybe some Sumatran which I always like, of course some Guatemalan to remind me of my trip to Antigua, some Brazilian and East African beans too because why not, oh and some robusta for espresso blending, ah shit, better grab a Hario V60 and filters for pour overs,and that should do it, oh wait, is that a Japanese coffee cup with common species of domesticated cats on it? I'll add a couple of those as well. Like I said,I'd be a sucker to not take advantage of that popper+beans deal! It's called being a smart consumer! :LOL:

Seriously though, I think I'm in. Will place an order later this week and go pick it up at their HQ in Oakland since I'm just down the road. Let's do it! We'll have to compare notes and tips.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Well, shit, at that price, I'd almost be a sucker NOT to take the plunge. I mean, one pound of roasted coffee goes for twenty American dollars at a lot of fancy roasters. Now, I also need to add in an extra sampler (one of the espresso friendly samplers, and one regular), along with some Yemeni beans since I have always been curious about them, maybe some Sumatran which I always like, of course some Guatemalan to remind me of my trip to Antigua, some Brazilian and East African beans too because why not, oh and some robusta for espresso blending, ah shit, better grab a Hario V60 and filters for pour overs,and that should do it, oh wait, is that a Japanese coffee cup with common species of domesticated cats on it? I'll add a couple of those as well. Like I said,I'd be a sucker to not take advantage of that popper+beans deal! It's called being a smart consumer! :LOL:

Seriously though, I think I'm in. Will place an order later this week and go pick it up at their HQ in Oakland since I'm just down the road. Let's do it! We'll have to compare notes and tips.

Hell, I might have to have you pick up the order for me and repackage it. They're wanting over $60 to ship this up here. I'm assuming it's because of the size of the air popper.

That begs the question for those in the know...

I've read a bit on their website about using the air poppers. Will it matter if they've been used for popcorn before? I have three of them that I use to make popcorn for bear baiting, and one of those has only seen minimal use. As long as it doesn't have a mesh bottom, would it work? My major concern, other than it having already been used for popcorn, is that I'm pretty sure it has some type of safety feature where it shuts itself off when it gets too hot. Is that a known issue for roasting coffee that's avoided when purchasing air poppers for the cause?

If I can use one of the ones I've already got, I can just buy some beans and get after it...

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Hell, I might have to have you pick up the order for me and repackage it. They're wanting over $60 to ship this up here. I'm assuming it's because of the size of the air popper.

That begs the question for those in the know...

I've read a bit on their website about using the air poppers. Will it matter if they've been used for popcorn before? I have three of them that I use to make popcorn for bear baiting, and one of those has only seen minimal use. As long as it doesn't have a mesh bottom, would it work? My major concern, other than it having already been used for popcorn, is that I'm pretty sure it has some type of safety feature where it shuts itself off when it gets too hot. Is that a known issue for roasting coffee that's avoided when purchasing air poppers for the cause?

If I can use one of the ones I've already got, I can just buy some beans and get after it...
Does USPS Priority Mail go to Alaska (you're in Alaska, right?)? If so, hard to believe they can't find a way to ship it for less than $60... If it ends up being significantly cheaper for someone (me) to pick it up and ship it, I'd be willing to do so. Just send me a PM first so we can work out any details if you decide to go that route.

As for your questions, if nobody here can answer, send a note to Sweet Maria's... They sell their poppers so cheap with the beans that they can't be making a profit off the machines, so I doubt they'd mind you using your own instead of buying from them, particularly if you're planning on buying beans from them. I wouldn't think popcorn experience would he a problem as popcorn by itself is so bland that it shouldn't taint the coffee. I don't think I'd try to reverse, though who knows, maybe coffee-flavored popcorn is good? No idea about the safety shut off...

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Does USPS Priority Mail go to Alaska (you're in Alaska, right?)? If so, hard to believe they can't find a way to ship it for less than $60... If it ends up being significantly cheaper for someone (me) to pick it up and ship it, I'd be willing to do so. Just send me a PM first so we can work out any details if you decide to go that route.

As for your questions, if nobody here can answer, send a note to Sweet Maria's... They sell their poppers so cheap with the beans that they can't be making a profit off the machines, so I doubt they'd mind you using your own instead of buying from them, particularly if you're planning on buying beans from them. I wouldn't think popcorn experience would he a problem as popcorn by itself is so bland that it shouldn't taint the coffee. I don't think I'd try to reverse, though who knows, maybe coffee-flavored popcorn is good? No idea about the safety shut off...

That's a good idea, I'll reach out to them. They offer USPS Flat Rate Priority, but it's actually more expensive than UPS Second Day Air. I think it's because the popper won't fit in a flat rate box.

I'll shoot you a PM after I hear back from them. If they can't make it work, I'll still buy the popper and you can just keep it for your trouble since it's the same cost as buying the sample of beans on its own.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
I started out using a popcorn popper also. It roasts pretty fast and is very easy. I bought mine new just for coffee so I don't know about flavor carry over. My gut feeling is the coffee is so much stronger of a flavor, it would mask any residual corn (especially after one or two roasts).

I bought mine at Wal-Mart and have not made any alterations to the machine, so the thermal cut-off has not been an issue for me.

I have since upgraded to a Behmor 1600 for more capacity.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
I started out using a popcorn popper also. It roasts pretty fast and is very easy. I bought mine new just for coffee so I don't know about flavor carry over. My gut feeling is the coffee is so much stronger of a flavor, it would mask any residual corn (especially after one or two roasts).

I bought mine at Wal-Mart and have not made any alterations to the machine, so the thermal cut-off has not been an issue for me.

I have since upgraded to a Behmor 1600 for more capacity.
Any advice for beginners using a popper? I am kind of nervous about my ability to interpret the sights and sounds of the roast process to get it where I want it. I suppose in my initial roasts, I should shoot for a medium roast, to give me some wiggle room on either side? Are there any beans or origins you recommend for beginners as being fairly forgiving?

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
Any advice for beginners using a popper? I am kind of nervous about my ability to interpret the sights and sounds of the roast process to get it where I want it. I suppose in my initial roasts, I should shoot for a medium roast, to give me some wiggle room on either side? Are there any beans or origins you recommend for beginners as being fairly forgiving?
I think all of the "normal" beans are pretty good (not complicated). I would avoid blends as the different beans may go through first crack at different times.

The best advice I can give is do not overload the popper. I also used a 3 foot piece of 1/4inch dowel to help stir the beans until they got going on their own,

All in all, it's pretty straight forward and easy. When they are at your roast level of choice, dump them. I used an aluminium sheet pan to help pull the heat out faster as my dump container.

Definitely want to do this outside. The smoke will set off alarms inside and the chaff makes one hell of a mess. My dog would chase and eat it as it floated down...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The two best coffee beans I have ever drank were Jamaican Blue Mountain that was fresh and Costa Rican Peaberry that was close to being fresh. Nothing ever beat those two. I no longer go after fresh beans anymore and I am fine drinking my Cafe Du Monde coffee and I like the chicory that is in the coffee. It is strong and I am used to the chicory in it. I am way to lazy to deal with messing with beans anymore.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
The two best coffee beans I have ever drank were Jamaican Blue Mountain that was fresh and Costa Rican Peaberry that was close to being fresh. Nothing ever beat those two. I no longer go after fresh beans anymore and I am fine drinking my Cafe Du Monde coffee and I like the chicory that is in the coffee. It is strong and I am used to the chicory in it. I am way to lazy to deal with messing with beans anymore.
I've gone through a few cans of Cafe du Monde over the years. Some brought back from relatives who'd visited New Orleans, but I also bought a can or two at Lee's Sandwiches (Vietnamese Banh Mi), which carried it here in California. Been years since I had any, but I remember liking it plenty in the past.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I've gone through a few cans of Cafe du Monde over the years. Some brought back from relatives who'd visited New Orleans, but I also bought a can or two at Lee's Sandwiches (Vietnamese Banh Mi), which carried it here in California. Been years since I had any, but I remember liking it plenty in the past.

One of the rig crews I worked with in Texas was comprised entirely of members from Jena, LA.

Between Cafe du Monde and Community coffee w/ chicory, it’s all they drank. I still can’t drink a cup of coffee with chicory in it without reminiscing of times spent on a brake handle.