Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I've been roasting my own for about the past year. It's great fun and has expanded my knowledge in coffee greatly. Kind of like pipes and tobacco, I like the nuances that can come to coffee and you can equate it pretty similarly. I roast about once per week on an SR800 roaster.

Green beans usually cost me anywhere from $5-$8 per pound on average depending on what I'm buying. 1 pound usually turns into about 13oz or so roasted for where I roast to.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Do you get the unroasted ones for a lot cheaper? I think whatever the savings, that having someone else cook them would save a lot of time.
Yep-cheaper. Plus an enormous variety. A week's batch for me takes about 10 min. to roast while I'm puttering about the garage doing other really fun stuff -- like sipping a pipe :)).

Most of all--I taste a big difference in the coffee between "store bought" and home roasted. This is especially so since over the years I switched from dark roasts to lighter roasts).

Thanks for you thoughts and response!!
kindest regards,
mike

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I’ve done it at home, but I’m a professional roaster for my day job, so the equipment there is much easier to work with, and there’s a lot better ventilation haha! What do you use to roast with?
Hi Steve,
Wow--professional roaster--COOL! I know you folks are out there (obviously :)! LOL at my poor choice of words!) but I've never "talked" to one "in real life!" I almost want to ask for your autograph (yep--I'm kinda old!).

"Better ventilation" LOL again! I '96 I tried roasting under the broiler in the oven--DUMB!! Talk about SMOKING :))))))))))))!!!!!!!!! And I'm sure those beans NEVER got close to 400 F!

Have a Quest M3 from cofffeeshrub for the past few years. Before that, 2 different Fresh Roast machines. The first one wore out after 12-15 years. The next one melted when I got busy in the yard and left it on -- those flames got pretty high but didn't reach the garage ceiling, though! LOL

Do your clothes smell like coffee all the time??? Really, wondering! When I roast and forget and leave a batch in a bit long--my neighbor across the street hollers across the street and asks if I'm smoking something fun (think, "King of the Hill" cartoon show for picture of my neighborhood :)

kindly,
mike

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I've been roasting my own for about the past year. It's great fun and has expanded my knowledge in coffee greatly. Kind of like pipes and tobacco, I like the nuances that can come to coffee and you can equate it pretty similarly. I roast about once per week on an SR800 roaster.

Green beans usually cost me anywhere from $5-$8 per pound on average depending on what I'm buying. 1 pound usually turns into about 13oz or so roasted for where I roast to.
Good for You! And thanks for sharing!! The flavor differences astound me.

For example--the supplier I've used for 20+ years offered (once as far as I know) some better quality Robusta just to show folks the improvement. I roasted a batch! I hadn't smelled Folgers or Maxwell House at home in a LONG time! Not bad, just REALLY DIFFERENT than what I'm used to! BTW--I'm using the remainder of that up to make my better half's morning double shot since she wants lots of cream and syrup in it!

thanks again for sharing your experiences--COOL!
kindly
mike

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Hi Steve,
Wow--professional roaster--COOL! I know you folks are out there (obviously :)! LOL at my poor choice of words!) but I've never "talked" to one "in real life!" I almost want to ask for your autograph (yep--I'm kinda old!).

"Better ventilation" LOL again! I '96 I tried roasting under the broiler in the oven--DUMB!! Talk about SMOKING :))))))))))))!!!!!!!!! And I'm sure those beans NEVER got close to 400 F!

Have a Quest M3 from cofffeeshrub for the past few years. Before that, 2 different Fresh Roast machines. The first one wore out after 12-15 years. The next one melted when I got busy in the yard and left it on -- those flames got pretty high but didn't reach the garage ceiling, though! LOL

Do your clothes smell like coffee all the time??? Really, wondering! When I roast and forget and leave a batch in a bit long--my neighbor across the street hollers across the street and asks if I'm smoking something fun (think, "King of the Hill" cartoon show for picture of my neighborhood :)

kindly,
mike
I also made the mistake of trying to roast inside, on the stovetop hahaha...the fire alarms really scared the neighbors!

I’m jealous of your King of the Hill neighborhood haha! Mine isn’t too bad but it’s more “interesting” than I’d prefer if I could do anything about it. ?

I wish my clothes smelled like coffee, but as soon as it cools, it goes straight into bags for sale, so I’m not really around any open coffee long enough to pick up any scent haha.

Roasting your own coffee is totally worth it, both for price and taste! Very cool that you do that!

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I have roasted at home for almost six years. Started because I moved to a tiny town with no local roasters.

Do you get the unroasted ones for a lot cheaper? I think whatever the savings, that having someone else cook them would save a lot of time.

During my boring roast time in the garage I have calculated the cost per mug at less than a Canadian dollar, probably more like 60 cents. This is including beans, and amortization for equipment like the roaster and brewer and grinder and filters and such.

And that’s for really good Sumatran beans that I roast to my liking, and always have in the sweet spot of a week or less old.

Once I got the setup all figured out, it takes me about an hour per week in the garage to make my weekly beans. I use that time to smoke a pipe.

So while I wouldn’t have bothered had there been a roaster in town, now that I’m set up I’ll continue doing it myself. Even though one just opened.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I haven't roasted at home... yet.

There are a number of great roasters in town that do free shipping when you buy a certain amount.

I'm currently getting a new bag of single origin coffee beans sent out to me every fortnight on a 6 months subscription basis. It is a bit on the expensive side, but I got a 25% discount on International Coffee Day (I didn't even know that was a thing).

Roasting at home would be next and would probably save a lot of money. Any equipment that you guys recommend?

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Roasting at home would be next and would probably save a lot of money. Any equipment that you guys recommend?
I'd suggest a hot air popcorn popper for around $25 to start with, and a sampler of green beans from a supplier. If you want to spend more and get something a bit more substantial, I've had good luck with a Fresh Roast roaster until I wore the 1st one out (10-15 yrs of use) and burned the 2nd one up :). They'll set you back about $150 but the popcorn popper get's you past the 1st crack of the roasting beans and into the delicious flavor region (about 400 F) for a lot less money. I've had good service from sweetmarias.com (no affiliation) plus they have a bunch of helpful videos and articles. I keep my roaster on a worktable in the garage and dump the beans in each week, usually about 6 minutes roasting time and then a 3 minute cool down--10 minutes I'm wrapped up & ready for the plunge pot (no filter expense) or La Marzoco Mini the next day for a double shot :)). Good to go. Whatever you like is what counts!! Shoot, I recall the "coffee mess" after Parris Island and that Maxwell House tasted good 40+ years back :)). Never had time for any on PI ;-) About 3 minutes in the chow hall and it was out the door!
kindly
mike