PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

gentlemancob

Might Stick Around
Apr 21, 2020
Utah
I’ve been wanting to try a rope tobacco for a few years now. Never timed right until now, thanks to this thread.

Picked up an ounce of the Whiskey and Black Cherry Twist. If anything it’ll be an new experience. Also grabbed an ounce of Bob’s Chocolate Flake, I have heard so much about it over the years.

Oct 7, 2016
For anyone that picked up Bosun Cut Plug, e please report in when you have a chance to smoke some. The drop in January had little to no topping and I’m curious about this batch
i got some from the January drop from SP and found it outstanding, most “Bosuny” Bosun I have had in years. I hadn’t been saying much about it because the batches I got from the previous importers only tasted like cloves with no real trace of RG.

Oct 7, 2016
I set an alert for Rum Twist, got it in my email at 9am, and it was sold out by the time I checked at Noon.

It must be that good, huh?

At least I managed to grab an oz each of Whiskey and Black Cherry Twist, Bulk Brown Twist, and Bosun Plug.

After I tried Dark Flake Scented, I was HOOKED.
Watch City has some Rum Twist, selling by the ounce. Boswell hasn’t listed anything yet (they still have 15 blends in stock from previous drops) but I am reasonably certain they will when they list the arrivals from this drop.

Reactions: ofafeather

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
i got some from the January drop from SP and found it outstanding, most “Bosuny” Bosun I have had in years. I hadn’t been saying much about it because the batches I got from the previous importers only tasted like cloves with no real trace of RG.
So strange. I mean, I really like it (smoking it now) but it’s not what I expected. Mine seems like what you mentioned - mostly clove and no RG (maybe a hint?). It is delicious though. Wonder what the current batch is like, also how the plug compares.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
There will be two 500g boxes of Bob's Chocolate Flake at a retailer soon! Last chance for anyone missing out on the soft targets. Name of the vendor has the word "pipes" in it, but it's not smokingpipes. I don't feel like advertising for them, so you'll have to figure it out, but maybe someone here who hasn't got any can get some. Good luck.

I paid for the boxes, plus $26 in shipping (international). They then came back asking for $8 more because their system somehow miscalculated the fees. My reply was "You must be joking". Their reply, "No, we're not."

Ha! Well done. I give them points for sticking to their guns.

Not being desperate for this blend, I told them to refund me. It's free shipping over $75 in the USA. I didn't feel like getting into the details of customer service with them, and who knows, maybe it is cheaper than $8 to send to anyone in the whole of the USA.

Just seemed like a silly thing to do to a repeat client (who will no longer repeat with them). It's not the money, but the chutzpah of asking for $8 on a shipment that would otherwise be free if my home was about 50km further South. $28, maybe I could understand... $8. You gotta be joking!

Well, apparently not.

Oct 7, 2016
So strange. I mean, I really like it (smoking it now) but it’s not what I expected. Mine seems like what you mentioned - mostly clove and no RG (maybe a hint?). It is delicious though. Wonder what the current batch is like, also how the plug compares.
The plug I got was just as good, not really much difference between the two. Odd.

Reactions: ofafeather

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
There will be two 500g boxes of Bob's Chocolate Flake at a retailer soon! Last chance for anyone missing out on the soft targets. Name of the vendor has the word "pipes" in it, but it's not smokingpipes. I don't feel like advertising for them, so you'll have to figure it out, but maybe someone here who hasn't got any can get some. Good luck.

I paid for the boxes, plus $26 in shipping (international). They then came back asking for $8 more because their system somehow miscalculated the fees. My reply was "You must be joking". Their reply, "No, we're not."

Ha! Well done. I give them points for sticking to their guns.

Not being desperate for this blend, I told them to refund me. It's free shipping over $75 in the USA. I didn't feel like getting into the details of customer service with them, and who knows, maybe it is cheaper than $8 to send to anyone in the whole of the USA.

Just seemed like a silly thing to do to a repeat client (who will no longer repeat with them). It's not the money, but the chutzpah of asking for $8 on a shipment that would otherwise be free if my home was about 50km further South. $28, maybe I could understand... $8. You gotta be joking!

Well, apparently not.
Haha. I think we all know who you are talking about. Not answering their phones, not responding to emails, but then reaching out to nickel-and-dime you.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
For anyone that picked up Bosun Cut Plug, please report in when you have a chance to smoke some. The drop in January had little to no topping and I’m curious about this batch.
I bought Bosun Cut Plug In January, the spice smell, which smelled like a cologne, reminded me of something like Old Spice, was like if you poured about as much as the size of the Obsidian Oil bottle, in a rag and stuck your nose in it, that is how intense the smell of mine was. I literally sneezed my head off opening the bag the first time to take a whiff. It also had a pretty strong sauce taste too.

I hope this drop is just as intense, I’ll keep ya posted....

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
My goodies arrived today!

They look and smell amazing!

Bosun Cut Plug has a nice sauce smell, pretty much like the first SPC batch.

Ennerdale smells different than my 7 year old tin, like a different tabac. But it has a really nice sauce/floral/fruit smell going on, different than any Gawith I’ve smelled before, really nice too.

Rum Flake, nice light sauce smell with a nice rum scent as well.

All I can say is I can’t wait to light these up! :sher:?

Nümericana

Lurker
Aug 3, 2021
So having just finished a bowl of the Black Cherry Twist, I really gotta say that while its worth it’s cost in strength alone, that’s all that it really has going for it.

I didn’t taste or notice anything resembling cherry until the last 3rd of the bowl, when I may or may not have tasted a brief sour cherry note on the exhale. Still unsure if I imagined it. What I DID taste was neither pleasant nor unpleasant. Just tastes like very strong tobacco. And indeed it’s strong, first one to get me a little nic-sick during the first bowl.

I’ll try it without drying next time and see how it turns out in terms of flavor, but I’m not expecting much.

Reactions: dcon and ofafeather

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
So having just finished a bowl of the Black Cherry Twist, I really gotta say that while its worth it’s cost in strength alone, that’s all that it really has going for it.

I didn’t taste or notice anything resembling cherry until the last 3rd of the bowl, when I may or may not have tasted a brief sour cherry note on the exhale. Still unsure if I imagined it. What I DID taste was neither pleasant nor unpleasant. Just tastes like very strong tobacco. And indeed it’s strong, first one to get me a little nic-sick during the first bowl.

I’ll try it without drying next time and see how it turns out in terms of flavor, but I’m not expecting much.
You have to smoke it rather slow to get any appreciable cherry flavor. And while some drying is required, over drying quickly zaps any flavor. Packing the bowl a little looser than normal helps too.

That goes with all the twists. Takes a bit of experimenting in order to get it to burn good, but once you get it you'll see it's worth the effort.