Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Forgive me but why do you want to hunt down a McClelland Va when you've already said you don't like VAs blends? Sounds like wasted money to me.
I share the sentiment. If the answer is that the best McClelland Virginia is a vintage rarity, I'd question what value that has for someone who doesn't necessarily value Virginias to begin with. Wouldn't a better question be: what easily-available currently-produced high-quality Virginia would be suitable to make me a "fan" of Virginias?

Also, with thousands of reviews, you really can't beat Tobaccoreviews dot com* if you're genuinely interested in obtaining a "public consensus" about a blend (including negative reviews, which are very useful). Don't get me wrong, asking opinions on the forum is a good way of chatting people up and making friends, especially for a newcomer (but then again, the OP isn't interacting very much either, is he...)

*Search Tobaccos - Brand=mcclelland AND Contents=Virginia AND ContentsEx=Black Cavendish,Brazilian Leaf,Latakia,Perique,Unknown AND Show=Blend Type - https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/search?Brand=McClelland&Contents=Virginia&ContentsEx=Black+Cavendish%2CBrazilian+Leaf%2CLatakia%2CPerique%2CUnknown

sort by: "Avg Rating"

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I share the sentiment. If the answer is that the best McClelland Virginia is a vintage rarity, I'd question what value that has for someone who doesn't necessarily value Virginias to begin with. Wouldn't a better question be: what easily-available currently-produced high-quality Virginia would be suitable to make me a "fan" of Virginias?

That's the best suggestion really. There are plenty options for learning about Virginias. You don't need a vintage car to learn how to drive.

In any case, yes, I've become the grumbly guy who gets annoyed solving the same problem over and over when the answers are all readily available if someone does a 20 second search. Why ask the question that's already been thoroughly and completely answered? But.. that's not the way forums work.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Maybe you should get a tin of several of these before you go after the big money tobaccos, if you don’t like any of these, you won’t like the McClelland’s Virginia’s either.

Capstan Blue Flake
Orlik Golden Sliced
Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake
Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake
MacBaren HH Pure Virginia
Rattray‘s Marlin Flake
Rattray’s Old Gowrie

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
My favorite offering from McClelland was Matured Virginia No. 24 (Virginia flake with a little Drama), then the Christmas Cheers and Ashton Pebblecut. If you want no Perique, drop Pebblecut and substitute Blackwoods. If you object to the Oriental in No. 24....well.....that's just sad.

But to echo what has been said, McClelland was great, but if you don't like Virginias it seems like a waste at what they are going for. One tin of Christmas Cheer will be about the same as 10 tins of available English.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Mike McNiel once told me that McClelland's No. 27 Matured Virginia was his all-time biggest seller in that particular series.
Last Saturday, Mike was asked if he still smokes a pipe or solely cigarettes, and if so, which McClelland blend does he smoke. He replied that he does smoke a pipe and IIRC he said #27 was what he smoked most frequently. I think he mentioned one other, but I am not sure what it was.

Sincerely

Lurker
May 23, 2020
Orygun
Thanks for the replies.

I'm trying to learn to like VAs.

I did smoke a curly cut Wessex that was very orange colored and enjoyed that quite a bit just a day or two ago. I've had good smokes with PS Luxury Navy and Golden Sliced, just nothing as immediately transcendent as many of the English and Balkans I've smoked.

And yes I would also take recommendations for what the best currently available VAs are to get my tongue around.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Heypat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2020
Shelby township Michigan, 48315
Fairly new piper here following this thread. Have tried several Virginia’s in bulk but have not had the opportunity to try any with any age yet. I do have several tins in the cellar and am hopeful they will age as well as well as advertised. Although I do enjoy the young Virginia to an extent I can’t wait to taste a blend that has aged and matured over time.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Thanks for the replies.

I'm trying to learn to like VAs.

I did smoke a curly cut Wessex that was very orange colored and enjoyed that quite a bit just a day or two ago. I've had good smokes with PS Luxury Navy and Golden Sliced, just nothing as immediately transcendent as many of the English and Balkans I've smoked.

And yes I would also take recommendations for what the best currently available VAs are to get my tongue around.

Thanks for the replies guys.

There are many very good Virginias. Unfortunately, many are also difficult to find on the shelves. I'd suggest you try GL Pease Union Square and C&D Opening Night to start with. Both very good and easy to find. If you aren't a flake guy, rub them out. C&D Yorktown is a ribbon cut and I believe available in bulk.

Reactions: Sincerely
Status
Not open for further replies.