PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grumpyoltroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
My sample of Orlik Dark Strong was small, just a couple of pipes, however, I found it weaker and less fulfilling than ODF. They may be similar yet ODF is in a higher league then the Orlik.

Reactions: lightmybriar

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
While I've never had HH Dark Fired, I can tell you that Orlik Dark Strong is awesome, but from what people are describing in this thread they don't seem to be all that similar. Orlik Dark Strong has a ribon of Virginia that goes down the middle of the flake and it gives off a bit of sweetness that I imagine HH Dark Fired doesn't have.
I tasted licorice in the Orlik stuff. They are not very similar to me, but it wouldn’t hurt for me to revisit!

sisyphus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2019
the Orlik is an aromatic, a good one where the tobacco isn't wiped out by the topping, but still an aro.

For me ODF is very good. I like it better than Irish Flake, but if I'm paying I'd rather have GH Dark Flake.

biodarwin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2019
Indy
I bought my first tin of this last week. I only had one bowl, but it was very interesting.

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I personally prefer the Amphora Kentucky Blend. I purchased the Amphora on a whim after trying Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky. It was only after that that I managed to try ODF. Personally, I think both blends are superior to ODF, which actually shocked me given other members' preferences. Just proves that our tastes and palates differ, I have no criticism of ODF (its a very obviously high quality tobacco) I just didn't enjoy it as much.

Reactions: kurtbob and gervais

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
My first tin of Old Dark Fired arrived the other day. Tin note is an 80/20 mixture of ketchup/bbq sauce. Flakes are cut perfectly, arranged just so, and wrapped in fancy gold foil paper.

Slightly stubborn to rub out, but nothing to be concerned over. The first part of the bowl was slightly underwhelming, or perhaps my expectations were too great. About 20% of the way in though, things came together nicely. This stuff is a meal! You'd better come to the table hungry. Bold earthy flavors and a rich smoky taste. Nothing like latakia, but smoky nonetheless.

I can't yet say whether or not it'll be in my regular rotation, but I definitely plan to keep some on hand.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I thought you were saying we’d lose ODF because of the FDA Regulations. ??‍♂️ If it was lost on you, then now it’s lost on me. Guess I’m the idiot on this one. ??
We may lose it over that since it was released in 2012. All of the remaining HH Blends were released after February 2007.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am a huge fan of Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky and am currently smoking through a 100 gram tin from 1998.
ODF is very different than the Orlik. The blend that I find my 2012 ODF similar to is my batch of 2007 Stonehaven.

Reactions: cortezattic

JLD66

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2020
West Kentucky
I smoke some of ODF almost everyday. For those who are have trouble rubbing it out try cube cutting it, it smokes great this way also just gravity fill the pipe and don’t tamp.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Good review, I've also reviewed it here. It's an odd one for me, I'd very different expectations when I tried it so the first couple of bowls were a bit confusing, however over time I'm looking at it like a Balkan blend: something I won't reach for without thinking, but times come where I specifically want this woody bbq/ketchup taste.

Thepipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2020
WV
I have some from 2014 I'll have to try and compare it to the fresh batch I have. Great stuff to sit on your porch/patio and to smoke with coffee.

Reactions: JLD66
Status
Not open for further replies.