PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Is all yours flake or some ready rub and do you think there is much of a difference between flake rubbed out and ready rubbed?
All flake. The ready rubbed was introduced after I bought mine. I do often cube cut the flakes though.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
Great review, I've been curious about this blend for a while.
Think I will like this since I really like Bold Kentucky.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Hells yeah, one of my all time favorites also! Little bit of a learning curve on the prep with the flake but it’s amazing!

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I am going to sing with the choir on this one. Almost from its inception, HH Old Dark Fired quickly became a favorite blend for me. A very nice and bold tobacco. The steaming of the leaf certainly took away any tendency for there to be a bite and the earthy flavor of the dark fired Burley is awesome. The strength is certainly on the high side of medium and I am sure the decades old Burley employed is what makes this one very noticeable in the strength department. Personally, I think this is one of Mac Baren's finest offerings!

Enemygod

Lurker
Sep 6, 2019
As a vegetarian, am I likely to be put off by the smoked meat flavors I keep hearing about with this one?
Would I be better off with the Orlik version?

While I've never had HH Dark Fired, I can tell you that Orlik Dark Strong is awesome, but from what people are describing in this thread they don't seem to be all that similar. Orlik Dark Strong has a ribon of Virginia that goes down the middle of the flake and it gives off a bit of sweetness that I imagine HH Dark Fired doesn't have.

• Love
Reactions: Johnny_Pipecleaner

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Orlik Dark Strong has a ribon of Virginia that goes down the middle of the flake and it gives off a bit of sweetness that I imagine HH Dark Fired doesn't have.

Old Dark Fired may not have that Oreo Cookie look that Dark Strong Kentucky has going on, but I definitely taste some sweetness in there. It's a key part of what makes it so fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.