PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
I purchased this tobacco in an attempt to come out of my comfort zone (mostly a VA/Per smoker). I was a little hesitant, my experiences in the past with Fuller and stronger blends (triple play and Jack knife plug for instance) have been good on taste, but not good on the nic hit. Upon opening the tin, I shoved my nose down into the flakes and was greeted by something close to a Latakia note, but more smokey wood, rather then a charcoal campfire (think meat smoker instead of campfire). The presentation is very handsome, gold foil wrapping, with three rows of neatly stacked flakes inside (3.5 oz tin). The flakes are very dark, thin, and moist. I was fearing a strong nic hit just looking at them. Rubbing them out was difficult compared to other flakes I've handled, this must be the result of the hot pressing. They almost felt glued together. This is not a bad thing, just an observation. I ended up with a pile of broken flake rather then a more ribbon like texture. I let them dry for about 10 mins and packed it loose. It took some effort to char it and get it going, I think some more dry time next smoke. The initial flavor is very full tobacco forward, no surprise here. The retrohale produced a ketchupy flavor, I'm guessing from the Virginias. I'm pretty inexperienced with burly forward blends, so other then some faint wood, I wasn't detecting any other flavor. This changed dramatically after the first half of the bowl. It went out, and upon relight, I was greeted with a very obvious and full chocolate flavor, with some hazlenuts. I would say my palate is below average so I was very pleased with the range of tastes I was experiencing. The Burley played the dominate role from then on and it burned down to fine ash with little dottle. Best of all, the nic hit was pretty low much to my surprise. It did burn faster then I expected, though that could just be my cadence. No bite whatsoever. All in all it was a great smoke and I think I'll be saving up for the pound bag. Great job Mac Baren!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The first time I tried ODF it was from a brand new tin back in 2012. I didn't care for it then but put it away to air out. I tried it again 6-8 months later and loved it. It had a very unique flavor and some very nice sweetness.
I then bought 65 3.5 ounce tins all for 9.99-10.99. It was real cheap back then and I am glad I loaded up like I did.

dcicero

Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
I purchased this tobacco in an attempt to come out of my comfort zone (mostly a VA/Per smoker). I was a little hesitant, my experiences in the past with Fuller and stronger blends (triple play and Jack knife plug for instance) have been good on taste, but not good on the nic hit. Upon opening the tin, I shoved my nose down into the flakes and was greeted by something close to a Latakia note, but more smokey wood, rather then a charcoal campfire (think meat smoker instead of campfire). The presentation is very handsome, gold foil wrapping, with three rows of neatly stacked flakes inside (3.5 oz tin). The flakes are very dark, thin, and moist. I was fearing a strong nic hit just looking at them. Rubbing them out was difficult compared to other flakes I've handled, this must be the result of the hot pressing. They almost felt glued together. This is not a bad thing, just an observation. I ended up with a pile of broken flake rather then a more ribbon like texture. I let them dry for about 10 mins and packed it loose. It took some effort to char it and get it going, I think some more dry time next smoke. The initial flavor is very full tobacco forward, no surprise here. The retrohale produced a ketchupy flavor, I'm guessing from the Virginias. I'm pretty inexperienced with burly forward blends, so other then some faint wood, I wasn't detecting any other flavor. This changed dramatically after the first half of the bowl. It went out, and upon relight, I was greeted with a very obvious and full chocolate flavor, with some hazlenuts. I would say my palate is below average so I was very pleased with the range of tastes I was experiencing. The Burley played the dominate role from then on and it burned down to fine ash with little dottle. Best of all, the nic hit was pretty low much to my surprise. It did burn faster then I expected, though that could just be my cadence. No bite whatsoever. All in all it was a great smoke and I think I'll be saving up for the pound bag. Great job Mac Baren!
Working on a bowl of it now. Picked up 1 oz to try. I have a love hate with this. If I'm smoking without paying attention, it's fine, just fine. But if I pay attention I just dont taste anything impressive. I want to, but I dont. Doubt I will purchase more, but happy your buds are enjoying it!

Reactions: gamzultovah

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Can I get your address, just in case of the zombie apocalypse, wouldn't want that ODF going to waste.
The 2021 Tobaccolypse will happen first. ODF is on the deeming chopping block.
ODF is one of my all time faves. I feel it's a better smoke in flake form as opposed to the bulk ready rubbed, but both work for me. Definitely one that is best smoked nice and slow.
Now try it cube cut.

Mr.Mike

Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
I find that ODF has a slightly vinegary thing going on when it's fresh that largely dissipates after a while, and the deeper, sweeter tones start coming through more. I love it, and it's super fun to get a pound box in the mail.

View attachment 14593
Awsome close up picture! That's good to know, I think I'll be jarring up half the tin a waiting a year to revisit it.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
It’s awful hard to go too far wrong with HH ODF in my very humble opinion. It’s not something that has @jiminks scratching his head for hours looking for words to describe it, nor is it monochromatic really... more two dimensional I think, and that’s no insult. (Five Brothers is one dimensional IMO, for comparison).

It’s just a fantastic simple smoke that, like @JMcQ says, scratches an itch. Delicious all-day that doesn’t rip my throat up (like a couple bowls of my beloved F&K Black Bayou Mist does /cry) and has enough Vitamin N to keep my mind fueled.

?

grumpyoltroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
The 2021 Tobaccolypse will happen first. ODF is on the deeming chopping block.

Well I will never have 15 lbs, but if I have 3 lbs in by 2021 I will quite content.

Is all yours flake or some ready rub and do you think there is much of a difference between flake rubbed out and ready rubbed?

Status
Not open for further replies.