PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard from central North Carolina, U.S. We're on the same page with lighter weight pipes and French pipes as well. I have Genod, Ropp, Chocam.

Reactions: Winnipeger

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Welcome aboard from central North Carolina, U.S. We're on the same page with lighter weight pipes and French pipes as well. I have Genod, Ropp, Chocam.
Welcome aboard? What are you, a Navy veteran or something? Hey mso489. I've always enjoyed reading your posts as a lurker here in the past. It seems we do have certain similar tastes. I also love Semois. Seems I read a post from you at some point about it. Thanks for the welcome!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I totally appreciate your point. The thing is, I'm usually doing something while smoking because I don't smoke in the house, so most of my smokes are while walking the dogs. It's a rare occasion when I have the chance to go lunting with both my hands free. I have a few larger pipes I've held on to for when I'm taking the dogs off leash to the park, or when I have an occasional free couple of hours to sit in the yard with the neighbour once the kid has gone to bed. One is a vintage sandblasted Savinelli Punto Oro 401 with two 18k gold rings. The other is a new Comoy's Tradition 298 smooth Canadian. I also have a new sandblasted Ropp Cutty Churchwarden that smokes great. I used to have a Peterson D6 Churchwarden that I got rid of. I had a Neerup pot with a huge chamber but I couldn't stand the clunky acrylic stem. Also got rid of my Rossi 8320. Bugged me that it wouldn't pass a pipe cleaner. Otherwise I loved that pipe and I'll probably pick up a Sav 320 at some point. The other huge pipe I used to own was a Preben Holm era Ben Wade. Wouldn't pass a pipe cleaner and gurgled like a mother. Worked well as a whistle.
You might want to buy a test pipe. Find a nice sized group 5 pipe that weighs 50 grams or less and see if that works for you. Savinelli without filters are one, Winslow lower end could be another. I just thought of something. What about finding a stem made from high quality German vulcanite that is hand made. The shape and design of certain stems can make a huge difference. I only have vulcanite stems as acrylic stems hurt my teeth. Something to think about.

Reactions: Winnipeger