PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I love Neil Young. He lived in Winnipeg at one point. He went to the same High School as my wife.
When Bob Dylan was in town around 2008 he took a pilgrimage to the house Neil used to live in. The current occupant at the time said she didn't recognize him at first, until she looked at his boots as he was leaving, then for some reason she realized who he was, and freaked.

Reactions: TN Jed

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Welcome to the forum, from Southern California. Great intro post, very descriptive. To this day, I still have nightmares of Selanne, Zhamnov, Housley, Tkachuk et al. tearing my LA Kings to shreds in front of a White Out at Winnipeg Arena. Ah, the good ol' days...

Best of luck on your Dunhill quest. Enjoy the journey! 👍

• Love
Reactions: Winnipeger

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Hallooooow! Just down the road in Melfort, Saskatchewan!

May e we can swap a few things from time to time ?
Def
Don't be denied lyric, possibly the same school yard as your wife.
When we got to Winnipeg
I checked in to school.
I wore white bucks on my feet,
When I learned the golden rule.
The punches came fast and hard
Lying on my back
in the school yard.
Yup. Sounds like my junior high school. I guess Kelvin High was a rougher school in the '60s. It's pretty preppy now. I grew up on the other side of the river.

Thanks for the Neil Young reference. I can't believe I've never listened to Time Fades Away before! Listening to it right now. Never owned a copy of that one. Of course now everything is on the interwebs. Now I can listen to all the music ever created! I just need ten lifetimes.

My favourite Neil Young album is probably On The Beach. Something about that tune For The Turnstiles that bored itself into my brain. I bought the majority of his catalogue on CD over a short period around 2010. I went on a major Folk/Country/Rock kick after finishing my degree in classical composition. 5 years of Stockhausen and Xenakis drove me right into the arms of Neil Young, Buffalo Springfield, Bob Dylan, Kris Kristofferson, Jackson Browne et al.

Reactions: dunnyboy

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Welcome to the forum, from Southern California. Great intro post, very descriptive. To this day, I still have nightmares of Selanne, Zhamnov, Housley, Tkachuk et al. tearing my LA Kings to shreds in front of a White Out at Winnipeg Arena. Ah, the good ol' days...

'92? I went to more or less all the playoff games in '90, '91, '92. "Sev Tickets" (bought at 7/11 for ten or fifteen bucks) got you seats in the nose bleed section. Those were the good ol' days for sure. Teemu was a mother. My kid(s) will probably never go to a live game. I'd need to take out a second mortgage.

Reactions: Servant King

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
BTW. I'm not actually on a "Dunhill quest." Don't want to give the impression of being a fanboy or anything. Could give a shit if I ever own a Dunhill. I just happened to find one that seems to fit a certain niche and SP is holding it for me at the moment while I contemplate trading in for it. I'll post about it in another thread. I just joined here in the hopes of being talked out of buying it. Haha.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Welcome, welcome!

I have several friends from Winnipeg and one who still lives there. Got cold last winter.
Cold yes. Pretty relentless. The amount of snowfall was unprecedented though. It was like a foot a week for 12 weeks, thus ending the drought we've been in for the past 5 or so years. Once the snow melted it kept coming back for another six weeks due to rolling Colorado lows. Winter spilled into May. Everybody was burned out this year. Covid didn't help. It's been a lovely summer mind-you, but...Winter Is Coming...

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
'92? I went to more or less all the playoff games in '90, '91, '92. "Sev Tickets" (bought at 7/11 for ten or fifteen bucks) got you seats in the nose bleed section. Those were the good ol' days for sure. Teemu was a mother. My kid(s) will probably never go to a live game. I'd need to take out a second mortgage.
Yeah, around then. 92-93 was the highlight of my childhood, when they actually did something, and would've won it all had it not been for McSorley's illegal stick. Vancouver was the big bully in the Pacific Smythe Division back then, once Calgary traded Doug Gilmour away. Gave the Kings fits every time. Back then, games would go ten minutes sometimes without a whistle, and someone would basically have to get decapitated for a penalty to be called. And don't even get me started on the fights...man!! Some of the best brawls took place in the 90s. You just don't get that kind of action anymore.

I'll answer for Warren, since I'm close by...weather down here is pretty great at the moment! Been raining for the last 24 hours on and off, and it's cooled down considerably. Nothing quite like a pipe with the smell of wet sagebrush in the air. puffy

Reactions: Winnipeger