PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Yeah, around then. 92-93 was the highlight of my childhood, when they actually did something, and would've won it all had it not been for McSorley's illegal stick. Vancouver was the big bully in the Pacific Smythe Division back then, once Calgary traded Doug Gilmour away. Gave the Kings fits every time. Back then, games would go ten minutes sometimes without a whistle, and someone would basically have to get decapitated for a penalty to be called. And don't even get me started on the fights...man!! Some of the best brawls took place in the 90s. You just don't get that kind of action anymore.

I'll answer for Warren, since I'm close by...weather down here is pretty great at the moment! Been raining for the last 24 hours on and off, and it's cooled down considerably. Nothing quite like a pipe with the smell of wet sagebrush in the air. puffy
Glad to hear the heat is letting up for ya.

The early '90s did seem like a golden age for hockey. Seeing the Jets in person win 3 home games in a row against the Oilers when they still had Messier, Gretzky, and Fuhr on the ice was one of the highlights of my childhood. Being in that sea of white was an amazing feeling. In my 12 year old brain I felt like somehow I contributed to those wins. When they went down in 7 it was heartbreaking. Again, it's just not the same anymore. Now the Jets wear blue on home ice! WTF? Oh well. Honestly I haven't been a huge hockey fan since those days. I know that's sacrilege being a Canuck and all. When I do watch sports it's more often Tennis or Chess, and the occasion World Cup match. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Servant King
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Interesting. I'm not familiar with his work. According to Wikipedia his wife was also a mystery writer. I wonder if they collaborated.
Not officially, but, they did. They were avid bird watchers, and were instrumental in saving the California Condor in the ’60s. Although, The Birds and the Beasts Were There (a nature book that is about their interest in birds and conservation) is credited only to Maggie, I have carbon typescripts with Ken’s handwritten contributions. He often wrote the jacket copy for her books. I had the good fortune to design the reissues of Maggie Millar’s entire catalogue reissued by Syndicate Books.

This is a link to an interview I did with the Library of America about a coffee table book I designed, featuring my personal collection of Ross Macdonald’s work, and an edited version of 40+ hours of interviews conducted by my late friend, Paul Nelson (Rolling Stone editor, and one of the only critics who defended Bob Dylan going electric at the Newport Folk Festival as seen in the Martin Scorsese documentary No Direction Home). My friend, Kevin Avery, edited the interviews for the Ross Macdonald book, and wrote Paul’s biography, Everything Is an Afterthought: The Life and Writings of Paul Nelson, a book I also designed (and features decorated boards with art I recreated of the period correct Nat Sherman Cigarettellos that Paul smoked incessantly—Joel Sherman unofficially allowed us to use the graphic).

• Love
Reactions: Ag®o and dunnyboy

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Not officially, but, they did. They were avid bird watchers, and were instrumental in saving the California Condor in the ’60s. Although, The Birds and the Beasts Were There (a nature book that is about their interest in birds and conservation) is credited only to Maggie, I have carbon typescripts with Ken’s handwritten contributions. He often wrote the jacket copy for her books. I had the good fortune to design the reissues of Maggie Millar’s entire catalogue reissued by Syndicate Books.

This is a link to an interview I did with the Library of America about a coffee table book I designed, featuring my personal collection of Ross Macdonald’s work, and an edited version of 40+ hours of interviews conducted by my late friend, Paul Nelson (Rolling Stone editor, and one of the only critics who defended Bob Dylan going electric at the Newport Folk Festival as seen in the Martin Scorsese documentary No Direction Home). My friend, Kevin Avery, edited the interviews for the Ross Macdonald book, and wrote Paul’s biography, Everything Is an Afterthought: The Life and Writings of Paul Nelson, a book I also designed (and features decorated boards with art I recreated of the period correct Nat Sherman Cigarettellos that Paul smoked incessantly—Joel Sherman unofficially allowed us to use the graphic).
Super interesting. I checked out your website too. Your illustrations floor me. Nice to know you. I'll reserve some books and check him out next time I take my daughter to the library. What are his essentials? Would you recommend starting with The Galton Case? My wife is generally more into mystery novels than me. I'll ask her if she's read anything of his. At the moment I'm re-reading The Brothers K again. I guess that counts as a mystery novel.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome to the site. You might want to buy bigger pipes that you know you cannot clench. You won't even be tempted with the right sizes. My oldest daughter suffered from TMJ when she was in H.S and luckily it went away. I wish you luck with what ever choices you make.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Welcome to the site. You might want to buy bigger pipes that you know you cannot clench. You won't even be tempted with the right sizes. My oldest daughter suffered from TMJ when she was in H.S and luckily it went away. I wish you luck with what ever choices you make.
I totally appreciate your point. The thing is, I'm usually doing something while smoking because I don't smoke in the house, so most of my smokes are while walking the dogs. It's a rare occasion when I have the chance to go lunting with both my hands free. I have a few larger pipes I've held on to for when I'm taking the dogs off leash to the park, or when I have an occasional free couple of hours to sit in the yard with the neighbour once the kid has gone to bed. One is a vintage sandblasted Savinelli Punto Oro 401 with two 18k gold rings. The other is a new Comoy's Tradition 298 smooth Canadian. I also have a new sandblasted Ropp Cutty Churchwarden that smokes great. I used to have a Peterson D6 Churchwarden that I got rid of. I had a Neerup pot with a huge chamber but I couldn't stand the clunky acrylic stem. Also got rid of my Rossi 8320. Bugged me that it wouldn't pass a pipe cleaner. Otherwise I loved that pipe and I'll probably pick up a Sav 320 at some point. The other huge pipe I used to own was a Preben Holm era Ben Wade. Wouldn't pass a pipe cleaner and gurgled like a mother. Worked well as a whistle.

• Haha
Reactions: dunnyboy

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Welcome from NYC. Great introduction and discussion. I was going to mention that I grew up in Hamilton when the Blue Bombers were the arch rivals of the Tiger Cats but since you're no longer a sports fan, and it was before your time, I decided not to mention that I was watching on a black and white TV in 1957 when the Ticats beat the Bombers in the first nationally televised Grey Cup game and again in 1962 when they beat the Bombers in the famous fog bowl played at Exhibition Stadium. That was before the NHL expanded beyond the original six teams and before you lost interest in hockey. Bet you're glad I refrained from mentioning any of this. ;)