PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Welcome from Central Oregon.

I know that being new to this hobby/vice can be intimidating, but I can assure you, that if you keep at it you will be rewarded with some great smokes and a world of flavors that you can only begin to imagine.

I will add, you should be ready for your pocket book to get a bit lighter over the years as you try new tobaccos, buy new pipes, etc.

Reactions: rjc149

rjc149

Lurker
Mar 20, 2023
Hello and welcome from West Virginia. Don't overlook the codger blends when you are considering blends. Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh, Carter Hall, Granger, Half and Half and many of the Match bends have been around for a long time, because they are good.
This is actually one of my questions -- what exactly is a codger blend? I've gathered that they are the inexpensive bulk tobacco commonly available... I was looking at Borkum Riff because I want to try a straight cavendish. Would this be a codger?

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
This is actually one of my questions -- what exactly is a codger blend? I've gathered that they are the inexpensive bulk tobacco commonly available... I was looking at Borkum Riff because I want to try a straight cavendish. Would this be a codger?
I would define a codger blend as, any of the commonly available pouch, tin, or tub blends, mostly burley based and uncomplicated. Personally, I would not include Borkum Riff, but Edgeworth, Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh, Half and Half, would be examples.

Reactions: rjc149