PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rjc149

Lurker
Mar 20, 2023
Lurker turned member.

I smoked cigarettes for 12 years, gave those up a decade ago. I've dabbled here and there in other tobacco vices -- dip, cigars, and recently, e-cigarettes. I'm not new to tobacco or nicotine.

Something about pipes -- pride of ownership, accessories, the aesthetics -- just appeals to me. Also, the fact that it's probably the least dangerous and most enjoyable way to enjoy tobacco every so often. You can moderate the amount you smoke (you're not stuck with a moist slug of tobacco for hours like with a cigar), you can experiment with endless varieties and blends of tobacco, or even mix your own cocktail. When not smoking, you can care for and admire your pipes.

I'll admit to being a little overwhelmed by all the information to this. Types of pipes, types of tobacco, techniques, pipe care... hence why I joined this forum.

I have a MM cob and a pouch of MM Missouri Pride tobacco, which I understand is a very basic, simple, straightforward tobacco-flavored tobacco. I have a tin of Peterson's Connoisseur's Choice en route.

Given that I love strong flavors, something tells me that smokey, spicy tobaccos will be my favorites. I can't wait to try them all.

Andre_T

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York
Lurker turned member.

I smoked cigarettes for 12 years, gave those up a decade ago. I've dabbled here and there in other tobacco vices -- dip, cigars, and recently, e-cigarettes. I'm not new to tobacco or nicotine.

Something about pipes -- pride of ownership, accessories, the aesthetics -- just appeals to me. Also, the fact that it's probably the least dangerous and most enjoyable way to enjoy tobacco every so often. You can moderate the amount you smoke (you're not stuck with a moist slug of tobacco for hours like with a cigar), you can experiment with endless varieties and blends of tobacco, or even mix your own cocktail. When not smoking, you can care for and admire your pipes.

I'll admit to being a little overwhelmed by all the information to this. Types of pipes, types of tobacco, techniques, pipe care... hence why I joined this forum.

I have a MM cob and a pouch of MM Missouri Pride tobacco, which I understand is a very basic, simple, straightforward tobacco-flavored tobacco. I have a tin of Peterson's Connoisseur's Choice en route.

Given that I love strong flavors, something tells me that smokey, spicy tobaccos will be my favorites. I can't wait to try them all.
Hello from the other side of the bridge and tunnel..

Reactions: rjc149

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hey from central North Carolina, and welcome aboard. You have everything you need for good smoking. Just enjoy. Learning more about pipes and tobacco, and all the history and lore, is an ongoing pursuit. Don't feel overwhelmed -- just enjoy that too. I always learn something on here. Questions are welcome. We have extended family in N.J. They have a horse farm and riding school in Howell.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Hello and welcome from West Virginia. Don't overlook the codger blends when you are considering blends. Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh, Carter Hall, Granger, Half and Half and many of the Match bends have been around for a long time, because they are good.

Reactions: rjc149