PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I know I don’t like cigarette flavors, ashtray flavors, etc. Please don’t laugh but I like sweet. Swisher sweet cigars taste good to me but I know they are cheap flavor. I do want to eventually learn to not just taste base flavor, but to pick up nuisances and sub notes. For now to start I just don’t want to be turned off by a tobacco best appreciated by a seasoned smoker.

I have learned some basics (YouTube) about tobacco types such as Cavendish, Virginia, Latakia, Perique, etc. I know there are also flavors added and unlimited blends. It’s too overwhelming with too many choices. I want to start simple, mild, low bite, some sweet flavor, etc. basically a sissy wimp starter.

Any suggestions for a first try costing $15 or less that won’t turn me off. I can always work my way towards less sweet tobacco over time.
Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic.

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
A lot of people around here would immediately throw the "Scotte" pipe in the trash, I'm tempted to say you should return it.
That's not to say it's impossible for one of those pipes to give a good smoke, but it's a real gamble.

The Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman on the other hand is one of the best tobacco pipes ever made.

It might sound odd that the $10 pipes is so much better than the $30 pipe, but the people at Missouri Meerschaum know what they're doing.

Go for a Rossi at Smokingpipes.com if you need an inexpensive Briar.
Ok thanks. I do like the pouch and tools so will just keep. I will smoke the Meerschaum.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
You got some good suggestions here. Pay less attention though to what other people say about what's good and bad. The notion that Orlik Golden Sliced has an overwhelming nic hit is just ludicrous. Try what you have already purchased, be patient. Don't draw too hard, the goal is to keep the combustion temps as low as possible. Then let your experience be your guide. There are lots of people here who can help you with "If you liked X, then try Y".

Good choice on the cob. They smoke easy and are cheap. No worries about scorching.

Reactions: Ahi Ka and jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't buy a whole lot of any blend while you sample different ones, even if you like them. Anything you don't like, jar and try again in a year or so. Typical old favorites that have served as starter tobaccos and have already been mentioned are Lane 1-Q and Carter Hall. The Sir Walter Raleigh aromatic should be pleasant, and the Capt. Black Cherry, depending on how you feel about cherry flavor. Take it slow. Learn to smoke a pipe, and go from there.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
A lot of people around here would immediately throw the "Scotte" pipe in the trash, I'm tempted to say you should return it.
That's not to say it's impossible for one of those pipes to give a good smoke, but it's a real gamble.

The Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman on the other hand is one of the best tobacco pipes ever made.

It might sound odd that the $10 pipes is so much better than the $30 pipe, but the people at Missouri Meerschaum know what they're doing.

Go for a Rossi at Smokingpipes.com if you need an inexpensive Briar.
Scotte previously had the kit for the same price, but it also included a small tobacco pouch.

The pipe case holds 2 pipes and accessories. Along with the pipe stand, wooden handled pipe tool, and rarely used but nice reamer, it's worth the price of admission and consider the pear wood pipe "free".

Use the pipe as any other, but don't be worried if you char the rim or drop it since, in essence, it may be considered a learning tool.

Agreed that the Missouri Meerschaum pipes are the best quality for the cheapest price, punching well above their weight class.

I forget where, but you can get a bundle of MM's for under $50, which gives you a nice set without worrying about a latakia ghost while you learn. I wish I was pointed in the MM direction when I 1st started.

Once you get the initial pipe tools, sample various genres of tobacco. Store those you dislike and come back to them later.

When in doubt, buy tobacco over pipes. You'll know the right time to get another higher level pipe. Trust.

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
There is a place in Houston called Lone Star Tobacco. You might want to stop in there and see if you can buy a few different types of tobacco.

Reactions: JOHN72
Mar 1, 2014
Ok thanks. I do like the pouch and tools so will just keep. I will smoke the Meerschaum.
Nothing wrong with trying to smoke the wooden pipe (the listing states both pearwood and ebony), just don't go in with high expectations.
Then again compared to a Cob I'd say the same about 99% of Briar pipes on the market.

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
I've been at it for a couple months. I wouldn't get too many different types but, 2 or 3 would be nice for a comparison. Don't think Captain Black is not quality because its found locally. Its really good. One of my savanelli pipes has a filter. I smoke without the filter. If I feel its harsh, i insert a filter. The charcoal filter knocks it down a peg making t more palatable. If you get half way through and believe its going down hill, stop. No need to smoke it through. Stop with the good impression. After a couple months of experimentation, tabac I thought was not so great, is now tasting good. Best of luck and welcome aboard from another noob.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

AlanH

Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
I like your choice of blends. MM Country Gentalman is good pipe. I used one almost exclusively for a long time before I bought my first Briar

Reactions: Gavrin

Gavrin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 1, 2021
Idaho
If u have never smoked a pipe, and own no pipe- I would suggest this: buy a corn cob for about $5-6 at Missouri corn cob. Get 2 or 3 if u like. Buy just a few 1 oz. Bags of bulk tobacco. That Lane 1Q comes that way as do many others. Practice the techniques you read here and/ or see on you tube. Start small. Once you know it’s for you then it’s time for more pipes and tobaccos. I am newish myself and know there is a lot that comes at you at once if you tend to think a bit which it sounds like you do. Relax, go slow and enjoy! Tons of knowledge from folks here and other forums as well!

Reactions: clynch

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
You got some good suggestions here. Pay less attention though to what other people say about what's good and bad. The notion that Orlik Golden Sliced has an overwhelming nic hit is just ludicrous. Try what you have already purchased, be patient. Don't draw too hard, the goal is to keep the combustion temps as low as possible. Then let your experience be your guide. There are lots of people here who can help you with "If you liked X, then try Y".

Good choice on the cob. They smoke easy and are cheap. No worries about scorching.
Ok thanks. I like that concept if X, then Y

Reactions: woodsroad

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I know I don’t like cigarette flavors, ashtray flavors, etc. Please don’t laugh but I like sweet. Swisher sweet cigars taste good to me but I know they are cheap flavor. I do want to eventually learn to not just taste base flavor, but to pick up nuisances and sub notes. For now to start I just don’t want to be turned off by a tobacco best appreciated by a seasoned smoker.

I have learned some basics (YouTube) about tobacco types such as Cavendish, Virginia, Latakia, Perique, etc. I know there are also flavors added and unlimited blends. It’s too overwhelming with too many choices. I want to start simple, mild, low bite, some sweet flavor, etc. basically a sissy wimp starter.

Any suggestions for a first try costing $15 or less that won’t turn me off. I can always work my way towards less sweet tobacco over time.
Any brand that says it’s a Cavendish.

My morning pipe this morning is Admiral’s Choice Cherry Cavendish.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

jmg81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2019
Camp Humphreys, South Korea
The easiest starting tobacco from packing and burn perspective is Carter Hall, if you can find a pouch of it to try. It's also a bit on the sweeter side. Then go from there... I would also suggest St. Bruno Ready Rubbed as another good one to start.
This. Carter hall is what taught me how to smoke properly, 6 years after i first started. If ordering from P&C you may be able to order an ounce of chathom manor which is the match blend.

Reactions: FLDRD

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Chatham Manor blend that matches Carter Hall is available in a tub, but for sampling, get the two ounce baggie for about six bucks. In MM cobs, I'd stick your neck out to the extent of buying one of the special edition pipes with an acrylic stem for about $26, a little more or less. I chew through the softer plastic stems, but the acrylics will last for decades in most cases. I think you'll find you want to hang onto an MM cob, even if you only smoke occasionally, and especially if you come to smoke fairly regularly, and even if you get other pipes made of briar, etc. Cobs are a good dependable addition to a rotation and are easy to learn to smoke and satisfactory when you become more experienced.

Reactions: FLDRD and JOHN72

StPaulPiper

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2021
St Paul, MN
Yep, I'd go with Lane's 1-Q too. You can smoke this all day with no bite. I first started with Captain Black Gold (for a long time). Decades later, I've since branched out into all other areas, and enjoy latakia and VaPer much more now, but every now and again, I'll fill a bowl with 1-Q and just chill.

Reactions: Old_Newby