PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
I second Lane 1Q (on the wet side with PG to me) or Boswells Best, an equivalent that seems to start drier.

Other good mild aromatics that are also crowd pleasers are no bite delite, and berry cobbler both from Boswells.

A note to aid your enjoyment, sip slowly. Clean your pipe after it has cooled every time, and if you use a filter- don’t reuse them!

Keep us posted on how it goes!

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
The easiest starting tobacco from packing and burn perspective is Carter Hall, if you can find a pouch of it to try. It's also a bit on the sweeter side. Then go from there... I would also suggest St. Bruno Ready Rubbed as another good one to start.
Carter Hall is what let me know that there was something out there that could burn easily. It moved me from aromatics to many others once I knew that with the right tobacco I really could get flavor and not a regularly burnt tongue. I don't go back to it often now but it really served a purpose for me.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
All so far I have these on my list. Most seem Virginia focused. Am I getting too many of the same? The problem is they charge $8 shipping so I do want to get a few to dilute the shipping cost per oz.

Should swap any of these for a English blend? View attachment 118435
I enjoy Virginias but did not enjoy that Amphora ...
But remember, tastes are as variables as personalities
And what you don't like today, this week or this year, you might like later

Happy hunting

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Scotte previously had the kit for the same price, but it also included a small tobacco pouch.

The pipe case holds 2 pipes and accessories. Along with the pipe stand, wooden handled pipe tool, and rarely used but nice reamer, it's worth the price of admission and consider the pear wood pipe "free".

Use the pipe as any other, but don't be worried if you char the rim or drop it since, in essence, it may be considered a learning tool.

Agreed that the Missouri Meerschaum pipes are the best quality for the cheapest price, punching well above their weight class.

I forget where, but you can get a bundle of MM's for under $50, which gives you a nice set without worrying about a latakia ghost while you learn. I wish I was pointed in the MM direction when I 1st started.

Once you get the initial pipe tools, sample various genres of tobacco. Store those you dislike and come back to them later.

When in doubt, buy tobacco over pipes. You'll know the right time to get another higher level pipe. Trust.
I got a dozen of the cheap cobs with the soft stems for under $30 on ebay. I like how they smoke and I've got 4 pear (first purchases) and 20+ briar since then to choose from.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@Old_Newby, jpberg mentioned something really great;

Too many varieties bought at once can be confusing

With no disrespect to anyone here, I love all these guys, there is a serious wealth of great information to learn here.

But in all seriousness you are asking people to tell you, what you think you will like, think about that for a second.

Probably the best thing is show something you might want to buy, just to make sure it’s not crappy tabac is all.

Just go on SmokingPipes.com and read about all the flavors, then type the name in Google and read some reviews at Tobacco Reviews | Browse and Review your Favorite Pipe Tobacco Products - https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/ look for the reviews by jiminks, he’s the resident Tongue Master, LOL ?

If it really sounds good to you, and you have the pockets for it, give it a try, it’s really the only way to know for sure.

Remember everyone tastes, sees and perceives different, you can hear 10 different tastes from 10 different people, and then you go to try and get nothing the same.

You have to try, and experimented on what you read that sounds appealing to you, this is how you’re going to learn. :)

P.S. If you do want to go with some Aromatics, Parson’s Blend by The Country Squire, you will want to buy!

Last edited:
Reactions: Old_Newby