PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
I’d ask your dad what he used to smoke - assuming a codger OTC blend - and grab that. While often burley based, they are light and sweet and easy burning. It would be a special memory for him if you turned up and he caught the room note of what you were smoking. I had a similar experience with st Bruno and my dad, except instead of him being a smoker it took him back to being a child and hanging out with his grandfather
Good idea. I know he smoked Borkin Riff. I think the whiskey flavor. I will get a pack of that and try it but some of the reviews are ver mixed. Good and Bad.

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
The easiest starting tobacco from packing and burn perspective is Carter Hall, if you can find a pouch of it to try. It's also a bit on the sweeter side. Then go from there... I would also suggest St. Bruno Ready Rubbed as another good one to start.
I saw this as a top winner on YouTube
The easiest starting tobacco from packing and burn perspective is Carter Hall, if you can find a pouch of it to try. It's also a bit on the sweeter side. Then go from there... I would also suggest St. Bruno Ready Rubbed as another good one to start.
i wanted this but is only available in 14 oz cans for $38. I want to make sure I like smoking before going that heavy. For now want samples for $15 or less.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
It really can be overwhelming, being presented with so many options (thanks in large part to the internet).

Just take your time and enjoy each bowl of whatever it is you have open.

If a blend does not appeal to you, jar it up with date and blend because it is possible you will circle back to it in a year or two. Some blends that are not appreciated on the first bowl just need to be tried again under different circumstances, for example on a full stomach in a smaller bowl!

Mar 1, 2014
I know I don’t like cigarette flavors, ashtray flavors, etc. Please don’t laugh but I like sweet. Swisher sweet cigars taste good to me but I know they are cheap flavor. I do want to eventually learn to not just taste base flavor, but to pick up nuisances and sub notes. For now to start I just don’t want to be turned off by a tobacco best appreciated by a seasoned smoker.

I have learned some basics (YouTube) about tobacco types such as Cavendish, Virginia, Latakia, Perique, etc. I know there are also flavors added and unlimited blends. It’s too overwhelming with too many choices. I want to start simple, mild, low bite, some sweet flavor, etc. basically a sissy wimp starter.

Any suggestions for a first try costing $15 or less that won’t turn me off. I can always work my way towards less sweet tobacco over time.
You're in luck because mature Virginia Perique blends are quite sweet, it's a "stewed fruit" sweet and not a "candy sweet" but you don't need aromatics to have full flavor in a tobacco blend.

That said if you're still open to aromatics then Sutliff bulk varieties like Vanilla Custard and Creme Brulee are some of the best for sweet toppings and gentle smoke.

Reactions: JOHN72 and Ryan

RobNYC

Lifer
Dec 10, 2021
Queens, N.Y.
All so far I have these on my list. Most seem Virginia focused. Am I getting too many of the same? The problem is they charge $8 shipping so I do want to get a few to dilute the shipping cost per oz.

Should swap any of these for a English blend? View attachment 118435
Some good selections there and some great suggestions made. If you want to try an English, based on your criteria, I would suggest Lane HGL.

Reactions: JOHN72

AlanH

Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
Orlick Golden Sliced is very good just sip it slow. I am also pretty new I started with aromatics but the Virginias and Vapors are what I like the best.

Reactions: JOHN72

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Orlick Golden Sliced is very good just sip it slow. I am also pretty new I started with aromatics but the Virginias and Vapors are what I like the best.
I had this on list but removed it because cannot buy them all. Reviews were good but some gave it a 2 or 1. I think 1 person got dizzy due to high nicotine? Chewing tobacco and Dips do that to me so initially going to avoid it.

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Too many varieties bought at once can be confusing - there’s lot of little things - packing, lighting, cadence, that need attention first. If you’re not doing those correctly you really won’t know how any of those tobaccos truly taste.
Get a burley - say Prince Albert - and learn to smoke it inside and out. It’ll save you lots of frustration.
And what pipe do you have? That’s kinda important as well.
Welcome.
For my pipes I got these 2. Thoughts?

7A690C7D-26AC-472A-B624-3E3AEF70F861.pngADC5F98A-95D5-4945-8548-041156BA8F81.png

AlanH

Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
I had this on list but removed it because cannot buy them all. Reviews were good but some gave it a 2 or 1. I think 1 person got dizzy due to high nicotine? Chewing tobacco and Dips do that to me so initially going to avoid it.
Orlick Golden Sliced is not a nic hit to me at all. It is hard to try them all ?

Mar 1, 2014
A lot of people around here would immediately throw the "Scotte" pipe in the trash, I'm tempted to say you should return it.
That's not to say it's impossible for one of those pipes to give a good smoke, but it's a real gamble.

The Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman on the other hand is one of the best tobacco pipes ever made.

It might sound odd that the $10 pipes is so much better than the $30 pipe, but the people at Missouri Meerschaum know what they're doing.

Go for a Rossi at Smokingpipes.com if you need an inexpensive Briar.

Mar 1, 2014

Here's a used Rossi for the same price.
If you are really budget conscious then getting over the metal barrier of buying used pipes will save you a fortune, or two or three fortunes depending on what kind of pipes you like.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Check out Dan Tobacco Blue Note for a nice sweet aromatic that tastes just like it smells. It was my first aromatic that blew me away and I still smoke it today. I would also recommend some type of sweet Latakia blend, Sillem’s Black is a good starting point.