PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Title edited. Please read rule 9! -jpm

I know I don’t like cigarette flavors, ashtray flavors, etc. Please don’t laugh but I like sweet. Swisher sweet cigars taste good to me but I know they are cheap flavor. I do want to eventually learn to not just taste base flavor, but to pick up nuisances and sub notes. For now to start I just don’t want to be turned off by a tobacco best appreciated by a seasoned smoker.

I have learned some basics (YouTube) about tobacco types such as Cavendish, Virginia, Latakia, Perique, etc. I know there are also flavors added and unlimited blends. It’s too overwhelming with too many choices. I want to start simple, mild, low bite, some sweet flavor, etc. basically a sissy wimp starter.

Any suggestions for a first try costing $15 or less that won’t turn me off. I can always work my way towards less sweet tobacco over time.

Last edited by a moderator:

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Try one of Captain Black blends like Grape or Cherry or anything with Cavendish in it like that one that comes in the yellow pouch with a pine apple as part of the artwork - getting old sucks! I am probably the wrong person to ask as I would have sent you a sample of Tambolaka just for the amusement value!

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Try one of Captain Black blends like Grape or Cherry or anything with Cavendish in it like that one that comes in the yellow pouch with a pine apple as part of the artwork - getting old sucks! I am probably the wrong person to ask as I would have sent you a sample of Tambolaka just for the amusement value!
@condorlover1 Happy New Year ????????????

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would jump into the pool with both feet and get a tin of Capstan Blue Flake. Read up on how smoke flake tobacco and you will be amazed at the flavors you can get from a straight Virginia. No it won't burn your tongue like really bad aromatics.

I never smoked an aromatic until 2012 and I began on the pipe in 1998 or so. Learn to smoke that Capstan and the world is your oyster.

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
I looked up Tambolaka. LOL - no way!!!

Ryan

Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I am a novice smoker, and I wasn’t sure where to start either. I think it is important to find something that is easy to pack, easy to light, and easy to smoke.

The reason I say that is a lot of us beginners struggle with proper packing, lighting and smoking techniques. I know I have. A more forgiving smoke will allow you to enjoy whatever you choose a bit more. I was trying to keep the pipe from going out and over puffing, etc which really seems to prevent tasting all of the flavors. Personally I found the English blends to be pretty easy to deal with.

I don’t know where to tell you to start, I don’t have enough experience with enough tobacco, but I definitely think it is most important to find something easy to pack and smoke. That way you can enjoy the flavors while you hone your skills.

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
All so far I have these on my list. Most seem Virginia focused. Am I getting too many of the same? The problem is they charge $8 shipping so I do want to get a few to dilute the shipping cost per oz.

Should swap any of these for a English blend? FF273115-E3B0-412B-AD9C-45EEF0809F49.png

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Yeah Simon! That would have been a generous dick play. ?☕

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Oh forgot I did buy Captain Black Cherry and a Sir Walter Aromatic at a local store. But have not smoked yet. My wife is good with it as both her grandfathers smoked, but my sons are against it. Fear.
So I am waiting for them to return to college in a couple weeks.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and JOHN72

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I’d ask your dad what he used to smoke - assuming a codger OTC blend - and grab that. While often burley based, they are light and sweet and easy burning. It would be a special memory for him if you turned up and he caught the room note of what you were smoking. I had a similar experience with st Bruno and my dad, except instead of him being a smoker it took him back to being a child and hanging out with his grandfather

Reactions: JOHN72

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
The easiest starting tobacco from packing and burn perspective is Carter Hall, if you can find a pouch of it to try. It's also a bit on the sweeter side. Then go from there... I would also suggest St. Bruno Ready Rubbed as another good one to start.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Too many varieties bought at once can be confusing - there’s lot of little things - packing, lighting, cadence, that need attention first. If you’re not doing those correctly you really won’t know how any of those tobaccos truly taste.
Get a burley - say Prince Albert - and learn to smoke it inside and out. It’ll save you lots of frustration.
And what pipe do you have? That’s kinda important as well.
Welcome.