PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Contact Ebay as well. Put it down as an undisclosed defect.
It’s yahoo auction. It’s very likely the seller will just refund it. Let’s see. I really feel very dumb. This is the second time I did this. I did not notice anything wrong with the shank. Thank you for noticing this and thanks everyone for seeing reality while I’m on Mars.

Reactions: telescopes

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I am fairly certain yours had a broken stummel. The S looks to be the first part of the word shape. It looks like a "repair". A longer stem and you'll have a better pipe.
I had to fight a bit for the refund but I got it. Thanks for noticing this. Thanks a lot. I’m indebted to you!!!! Really, I think this pipe would have been an interesting one w/original shank. I’d like to blame this on cough medicine but folks here may notice I did almost the exact same thing before.

“There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.”

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I had to fight a bit for the refund but I got it. Thanks for noticing this. Thanks a lot. I’m indebted to you!!!! Really, I think this pipe would have been an interesting one w/original shank. I’d like to blame this on cough medicine but folks here may notice I did almost the exact same thing before.

“There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.”
Ha, ha, Ole "W". He's with you in spirit.

wgstraub

Might Stick Around
Jan 31, 2021
Silver Spring, MD
Hello. I just won this pipe on auction that I didn’t expect to win. I thought this was maybe an old Pipe-Dan pipe but actually, it’s not stamped like Pipe-Dan pipes are said to be stamped according to pipedia. I don’t have it yet but only the pictures from the auction site. I’m showing the screen captures. I was thinking this was valuable and old but it didn’t cost much. The stem is orific which really throws me. Does anyone know what this is? Thanks! View attachment 204072View attachment 204074View attachment 204075View attachment 204077View attachment 204078View attachment 204079
Could is possibly be a Danbark? Dan-Daq -- Pipes : Logos & Markings - http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-d2.html

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
It fit the shape guide for an early Pibe Dan. I think it would have been a collector’s item had it not been for the damage. It fits the early catalogue of Pipe Dan. Maybe 60s one but damaged beyond repair.
It may look like a Pipe Dan 🤔
You may want it to be a Pibe Dan
But it's NOT a Pibe Dan 😟

Pibe Dans - the genuine, stamped ones - appear on EBay regularly, so keep your eyes open for one.
Or use the advanced search function 😄

Last edited:
Reactions: milk

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
It may look like a Pipe Dan 🤔
You may want it to be a Pibe Dan
But it's NOT a Pibe Dan 😟

Pibe Dans - the genuine, stamped ones - appear on EBay regularly, so keep your eyes open for one.
Or use the advanced search function 😄
It’s an unsolved mystery

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I don't know what it is, but here's my thoughts anyway. Whatever it is you can bet it's pretty rare. I know I've never seen one like it. I doubt it would be a good smoker so I think the thing to do is just keep it for "show and tell". There's a lot of other pipes you can smoke. And finally, for heaven sakes don't mess with it. Any modifications will only hurt it's value as a collectible. puffy .

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Sorry…I’m just sitting here stunned that a) someone actually made this pipe and b) at least two people have now bought it. The “finger” stem…the ludicrous bowl... Speechless.

From a practical standpoint, though: You’re going to need a really long tamper.
So I'm not the only one who thought these things then! Very good

Reactions: rmbittner and milk

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
So I'm not the only one who thought these things then! Very good
I was pretty sure the person who said the shank had been cut/sawed was right so I asked to stop the deal. My conclusion was that the “s” was part of “shape reformed.” I can be wrong I guess. The dealer, with some grumbling, gave this to the next highest bidder. Maybe I’m wrong. It’s a tiny pipe I think. So I think you can get a tamper in it. And your finger. It would have been smokable. Anyway, I think being home and half-groggy on cold medicine is a bad time to bid on pipes. I’d better not do it anymore. This may have been my irresponsibility. I still think it’s a Pipe Dan Shape Reformed with the Shape Reformed words cut off. I’m full aware I know nothing and can be totally wrong.

Reactions: didimauw

doctorbob

Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
I honestly don't see how the s by itself indicates the shank was cut. It isn't all that close to the end of the shank with a lot of space that other letters should have been, but aren't present, if the s was the first letter of a word. The stem is clearly messed with, but I'm not so sure of the shank.

I would have upheld my end of the auction, it doesn't look like the seller was trying to hide anything.

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I honestly don't see how the s by itself indicates the shank was cut. It isn't all that close to the end of the shank with a lot of space that other letters should have been, but aren't present, if the s was the first letter of a word. The stem is clearly messed with, but I'm not so sure of the shank.

I would have upheld my end of the auction, it doesn't look like the seller was trying to hide anything.
You may be absolutely right and I may be at fault in this situation. I think I deserve a downvote if this is the case. I asked him to take off the mouthpiece and let me see what the tenon and mortise look like but I couldn't get that far. I couldn't get much of a conversation. I actually like this pipe, despite the mouthpiece needing replacement. I think it's historical. The "S" could be a carver's initial. It might have helped to look at the connection. Before I said anything about it being cut, I asked if I could see but I couldn't get a response. This seller never looked at any of the items he was selling or just wants to plead ignorance. If I am wrong, I'm willing to admit it and I do think, this being the second time I've made a silly blunder, I need to be very careful and ask a lot more questions and move on if I'm not really understanding the item. Recently I listed a pipe I didn't want anymore on a Japanese sale's site. I put that it had some chamber damage. The pipe sold. My wife asked me why I was doing that and I told her that I know it has chamber damage so I cannot NOT say it. Anyway, you may be right here. I am not sure. I feel unsure of myself and I come away feeling that I have to avoid this because it's unethical of me to beg out of commitments like this. I know it.

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan

ETA: the more I study this, the more I really think it's an "H" that's missing. I'm still looking for something to compare it to. Now I'm obsessed.

telescopes

You may be absolutely right and I may be at fault in this situation. I think I deserve a downvote if this is the case. I asked him to take off the mouthpiece and let me see what the tenon and mortise look like but I couldn't get that far. I couldn't get much of a conversation. I actually like this pipe, despite the mouthpiece needing replacement. I think it's historical. The "S" could be a carver's initial. It might have helped to look at the connection. Before I said anything about it being cut, I asked if I could see but I couldn't get a response. This seller never looked at any of the items he was selling or just wants to plead ignorance. If I am wrong, I'm willing to admit it and I do think, this being the second time I've made a silly blunder, I need to be very careful and ask a lot more questions and move on if I'm not really understanding the item. Recently I listed a pipe I didn't want anymore on a Japanese sale's site. I put that it had some chamber damage. The pipe sold. My wife asked me why I was doing that and I told her that I know it has chamber damage so I cannot NOT say it. Anyway, you may be right here. I am not sure. I feel unsure of myself and I come away feeling that I have to avoid this because it's unethical of me to beg out of commitments like this. I know it.
You did the right thing. That pipe was heavily modified and it is up to the seller to demonstrate differently. This might not be a popular position on this site by some of our many posters, but it is incumbent on the "seller" to fully disclose important information about what they are selling so that the buyer can make an informed decision. Your request to see the stem without the bit was appropriate and based on the seller's non accommodation regarding this request, your request was demonstrated to be valid. Even when a seller states that they are selling it as is with no guarantee of knowledge about what they are selling, pointing out a visible defect that should have been revealed but wasn't isn't protected in my opinion. For instance, you can't unknowingly sell stolen merchandise and expect no consequences. My point is this, if one sells something, there is an expectation to learn a little bit about what you are selling so that you can accurately stand behind the product.

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
You did the right thing. That pipe was heavily modified and it is up to the seller to demonstrate differently. This might not be a popular position on this site by some of our many posters, but it is incumbent on the "seller" to fully disclose important information about what they are selling so that the buyer can make an informed decision. Your request to see the stem without the bit was appropriate and based on the seller's non accommodation regarding this request, your request was demonstrated to be valid. Even when a seller states that they are selling it as is with no guarantee of knowledge about what they are selling, pointing out a visible defect that should have been revealed but wasn't isn't protected in my opinion. For instance, you can't unknowingly sell stolen merchandise and expect no consequences. My point is this, if one sells something, there is an expectation to learn a little bit about what you are selling so that you can accurately stand behind the product.
Thanks for that. I don’t want to absolve myself completely but I do feel that sellers like these, who have a large amount of various stuff on auction, hide behind a feigned ignorance so that they don’t have to look too carefully or cull items reducing their profit. I’ve no doubt this seller went on to the next person without disclosing that someone pointed out that there may be a defect in the item. It’s hard to know exactly without looking. I think I should have been more careful, noticed this before, and asked more questions. I’d better be more diligent. But what if you’re selling something and the person says, “hey, did you realize that thing you’re selling may be broken? Let me get a close look.” Do you then say, “nope. Nothing doing.” Again, I wasn’t very smart. I really did think it was a cool looking item but I was kind of out if it. I shouldn’t have been bidding in my state of mind. But, yeah, I felt ok about pressing a bit to get out of it especially since he wasn’t going to show me what I asked to see.

telescopes

Thanks for that. I don’t want to absolve myself completely but I do feel that sellers like these, who have a large amount of various stuff on auction, hide behind a feigned ignorance so that they don’t have to look too carefully or cull items reducing their profit. I’ve no doubt this seller went on to the next person without disclosing that someone pointed out that there may be a defect in the item. It’s hard to know exactly without looking. I think I should have been more careful, noticed this before, and asked more questions. I’d better be more diligent. But what if you’re selling something and the person says, “hey, did you realize that thing you’re selling may be broken? Let me get a close look.” Do you then say, “nope. Nothing doing.” Again, I wasn’t very smart. I really did think it was a cool looking item but I was kind of out if it. I shouldn’t have been bidding in my state of mind. But, yeah, I felt ok about pressing a bit to get out of it especially since he wasn’t going to show me what I asked to see.
I recently sold a Dunhill 58/59 Lovat at a loss. As a few potential buyers pointed out, the pipe may have been over reamed. Maybe. Briarville wasn't so sure and they know Dunhill's. But something was strange to the eye. And others as well. I disclosed what was shared with me and let the pipe eventually go for a loss. I probably should have kept it as it was a beautiful little Lovat. But, being upfront as much as possible, is important and it is the right thing to do, imho.

doctorbob

Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
I agree to a point, he asked to see the pipe mortice AFTER bidding AND WINNING the pipe. The original auction pictures indicated MAJOR issues with the pipe, he bid on it anyways in an attempt, in his own words, to get a really good deal and flip it.

Once he realized that he couldn't do that, after he won, he backed out of his winning bid. To ME, that is way more unethical than anything the seller did. He wasted everyone's time because of buyer's remorse.

As a buyer you place a bid with the knowledge at hand to purchase if you win. Don't bid until AFTER all questions and concerns have been fully addressed to your satisfaction. These are the rules of every auction site I've ever seen.

And how the heck is some random reseller of general household goods supposed to educate themselves about what they are selling? Every steal I've ever got on eBay was because someone didn't know what they were selling. It's one of the major points of participating in an auction as a buyer. If a want to deal with someone who is 'knowledgeable' about estate pipes, I'll buy from one of the many estate pipe vendors.

By his own admission, he thought he saw something rare and valuable for little money and he bought it with apparently a combination of auction fever and tunnel vision. Hell, I did the same thing (more than once!!), twenty years ago when eBay was taking off. Bought some real lemons back then, I did. But those mistakes were mine, I owned to them, and I upheld my end.

Look, I know Milk is conflicted about this, but he bid on the damn thing without full information. That's on him.

PS- the more I look at those pictures, the less I think the shank has been shortened

Last edited: