PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
My favorites

Mac Navy Flake
CD Pegasus
Mac Golden Extra
Mac Burley Flake
Boswell Premium Burley
Boswell Blend 35 (American style rather than a full on Burley)

I also include VA Bur in the Burley category because VA Per and VA Or are more vinegar funky and I notice more so the nutty chocolate Burley in a VA Burley rather than the brightness of the VA so to me a VA Burley isn't in the same category I call "dirty virginia". Also sometimes these VA Burley are under the Burley category by some sellers anyway.

CD Night train
Mac HH Old Dark

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
Of course, Solani and Wessex are my number 1 & 2. But any of the Bob Runowski Burley blends from C&D are solid IMO. Peretti Burley's, in general, are quite impressive too. Mac Baren Golden Extra and Symphony just to name a couple others.

Reactions: K.E. Powell

BiggieTheCat

Lurker
Jun 14, 2023
I'm new here. Never used a forum before. I just recently bought an antique pipe. I don't know anything about it though. Not sure if it's okay to use or not. Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230426_154143_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230426_154143_Chrome.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I only kind of skimmed the first page, so sorry if I am reiterating some things.

First, some extra background information about me, my palate, and burley if you're interested (might be relevant, probably over explaining so shortening it in a spoiler tag):
I never get bit by burley myself, but my natural mouth pH might be higher than average. I suspect my palate might also differ from most other a little, since I typically pick up most or all the same things as JimInks does in his reviews for all types of tobacco (though his palate is definitely more refined than mine), except burley and that's where my palate deviates.

Most of what I read about others is they describe burley as "chocolatey" and "nutty". To me, "chocolate" and "nut" are completely disparate flavors, and I absolutely HATE chocolate (yes even "eUrOpEaN cHoCoLaTe, wHiTcH iS dIfFeReNt"). Chocolate tastes like a mouthful of dirt to me. And actually, sometimes I can tolerate cocoa flavor better than chocolate flavor, which is apparently backwards to most people who prefer chocolate, which they swear tastes sweeter but I swear tastes more like dirt no matter how light of a milk chocolate it is.

Meanwhile, I love black coffee, which most people seem to describe as bitter, even when it's made properly (over-extracted will make it taste thin and bitter, under-extracted will make it taste thin and sour). To me though, black drip coffee (made correctly) has either a naturally sweet and fruity taste if it's a medium-roasted higher-altitude like Columbian or nutty if it's something like a Sumatran. Of course, I also only drink medium roasted or darker. Another thing I tend to let my coffee cool down more than other people do (still warm, but can gulp it without it being uncomfortably hot), whereas others tend to drink it hotter and sip so as to not burn themselves (the hotter something is, the less bitter it seems to taste, as our taste buds stop working above a certain temperature). Though I drink drip coffee, percolated coffee is way better, but I only own a camping percolator and I don't feel like grinding my own beans (as perc requires a coarser grind than drip and they don't carry a percolator grind in the store, at least not where I live).

I will never understand the world's obsession with chocolate... or with cheese or with fish/seafood for that matter. Those are the three most disgusting foods ever to me, and yet they're the most beloved by most people.

Anyway, I have gotten the "chocolatey" taste before from burley, but only when it comes from a tin that's been open a while, never from a freshly opened tin. To me, Burley has always had a more floral/herbal taste (as opposed to a grassy or citrusy herbal taste of Virginia), or a little "sweet" nut taste like cashew or macadamia (as opposed to a "dark" nut taste like pecan or black walnut). Most of the time, when it's fresh opened, when others get "chocolatey", I get "toffee". If the burley is aged before blending/packaging, that's when I tend to get toffee and sweet nut and if unaged, the floral. The chocolatey taste only comes regardless of type when the tin has been open a while (the change of taste with aging before packaging is different than aging "in the cellar" after being opened).

It's a difficult taste to describe, but it reminds me of the scent of a black mission fig tree (which is also hard to describe, and it doesn't "smell like cat piss" the way other varietals of fig trees can smell. It's also comparable to some herbal teas to me.

I actually started dedicating my pipes to blend types specifically because of burley (as well as goopier aros). I have found that burley has a very delicate flavor. If I smoked anything else before, it takes sometimes a bowl and a half before the burley blends start to taste like they should, where as others only take 5-10 minutes of smoking to taste right to me.

First, I'm sad you disliked HH Burley Flake, that's my most favorite. However, I will say I prefer burley wetter in general than other tobaccos. If you're brave and want to give HH Burley Flake another shot, I recommend absolutely no dry time or only very minimal, and smoke it slow with light sips like you would a Virginia. Just keep a few pipe cleaners on hand to dry up the shank/stem if things get too wet and be prepared to relight.

If you try MB's HH Old Dark Fired, the delicate floral taste of non-fire-cured burley is replaced by a barbeque hardwood smoke taste, if you have had proper barbecue (which means slow smoked over wood fire... not bbq sauce on the item cooked over charcoas, the latter is grilling with bbq sauce, not barbecuing—real barbecue doesn't always involve sauce). It's good, but ODF doesn't give you the same sense as a "standard" burley taste. Many people that otherwise don't like burley still like ODF. But, some of that natural burley taste still lies under the barbecue taste.

If you like OJK, I would say Haunted Bookshop is like a darker version of that (in taste). It's also slightly smoother/lighter than OJK. Like OJK is more pungent (in a good way) than HB.

Pegasus might be a good start, but to me, it's thin, not bold enough, like it's missing something. I may need to revisit that one, it's been a while but I remember being disappointed with it (though not hating it, it just didn't scratch the itch I had). Like drinking water with lemon when you wanted lemonade.

Another that I like is Savinelli Jupiter, but it does not age well in the cellar at all to me. If I open a tin of that, I am going to go through it within a month because if I don't, I'll later be tossing half of it out because I hate the chocolate taste it takes on. But when the tin is freshly opened... mmm mm.

I also can't recommend MB Navy Flake enough. That's another one that's burley based and one of my most favorite "Navy" blends.

I still have a lot of others left to try. Like the various "codger/OTC" blends. I have a wishlist that's backing up.

Reactions: Heath_h and yanoJL

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
fishmansf, i really like your highly developed description of the glories of burley, being a burley devotee myself. I think C&D did a lot to develop burley as a base and constituent tobacco in pipe blends going back to their Pennsylvania and North Carolina days before joining Laudisi.

Needless to say, taste in blends is highly subjective so sampling over time is probably the way to find your particular favorites.

I like many C&D burley inclusive blends. Their English Stratfordshire and Tuggle Hall are somewhat unique. I too like Old Joe Krantz, and I also like Billy Budd with cigar leaf. Right now i have Bayou Night and Mountain Camp (with the same tobaccos in different proportions) in my rotation.

I think SWR is good, and I like SWR Aromatic, burley based with Virginia as a condiment with three liqueurs as flavoring.

Amphora Burley, Edward G. Robinson, Granger, and Semois thick and medium cut (the Belgium burley variant) all appeal to me, along with many others.

I remember fondly Nat Sherman 536, a refined English with burley as a condiment, and am saving a sealed tin for the future. I like GLP Barbary Coast based in cube cut burley with Virginia and Perique as condiments and brandy as a flavoring. A member sent me a tin of Esoterica Tilbury with burley as a condiment and I am enjoying that right along.

Burley in all its varieties is an excellent leaf, whether in the old traditional blends or some of the newer and premium blends, and I appreciate you delineation of all of its facets and nuance.
Second SWR and SWRA if you like a sweeter aromatic burley.

There’s a reason these blends are still around. Regular SWR is coming up on 100 years of generational burley enjoyment.

Reactions: minerLuke

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
fishmansf, i really like your highly developed description of the glories of burley, being a burley devotee myself. I think C&D did a lot to develop burley as a base and constituent tobacco in pipe blends going back to their Pennsylvania and North Carolina days before joining Laudisi.

Needless to say, taste in blends is highly subjective so sampling over time is probably the way to find your particular favorites.

I like many C&D burley inclusive blends. Their English Stratfordshire and Tuggle Hall are somewhat unique. I too like Old Joe Krantz, and I also like Billy Budd with cigar leaf. Right now i have Bayou Night and Mountain Camp (with the same tobaccos in different proportions) in my rotation.

I think SWR is good, and I like SWR Aromatic, burley based with Virginia as a condiment with three liqueurs as flavoring.

Amphora Burley, Edward G. Robinson, Granger, and Semois thick and medium cut (the Belgium burley variant) all appeal to me, along with many others.

I remember fondly Nat Sherman 536, a refined English with burley as a condiment, and am saving a sealed tin for the future. I like GLP Barbary Coast based in cube cut burley with Virginia and Perique as condiments and brandy as a flavoring. A member sent me a tin of Esoterica Tilbury with burley as a condiment and I am enjoying that right along.

Burley in all its varieties is an excellent leaf, whether in the old traditional blends or some of the newer and premium blends, and I appreciate you delineation of all of its facets and nuance.
I agree. I took a trip to denmark this last month and had the chance to try a lot of different burley options mainly produced by STG. All of them to me seemed to taste like a really boring VaPer. C&D seemed to hit it on the head with their burley base blends, that musky almost cigar-esque flavors. I've heard a lot of people trying out Billy Bud and liking it, I might have my B&M order some.

• Love
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
If you really enjoy that nutty, earthy, cocoa thing going on, I'll second mso's recommendation and get yourself a brick of Tabac Manil Semois.

Very cigar-like, but with more subtlety. Dry as a bone and a quick smoke and no topping whatsoever, but it scratches that "pure" burley itch (even though it's considered its own varietal and only grown in a region in Belgium, it is still a type of burley).

Also, stay on the lookout for C&D's Eight State Burley Small Batch when they release it. It's a great blend and I smoke it regularly even though I'm pretty much a Virginia smoker.
You;re getting me all excited about it. Sad part is I live in a state which bans the purchase of tobacco online. I'll see if some of the old timers in my pipe club have any they could bring.

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
You;re getting me all excited about it. Sad part is I live in a state which bans the purchase of tobacco online. I'll see if some of the old timers in my pipe club have any they could bring.
I too live in a state that doesn't allow online tobacco purchases. But I have a buddy in another state and he and I will make pool orders together and have it shipped to him. Then I just pay him a little extra to ship it to me. It's still cheaper than paying the enormous prices here, but I do purchase from local B&Ms occasionally. Especially when they have some harder to get blends that always seem to be OOS online.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Welcome to the winning team, fishmansf. You already got some great recommendations here, but I'll add a few of my own.

Boswell's "Old School" - a wonderful take on a classic style. It's essentially like a gourmet spin on Prince Albert. If you like the naturally nutty and cocoa flavors of burley, then give this a try.

C&D's "Haunted Bookshop" - this is one of those blends people either love or hate, but you did enjoy Old Joe, and this blend uses much of the same tobaccos. I've described this blend before as being like a bold, black coffee; it's got a good nic hit and is not complicated. Sip slowly and enjoy.

G.L. Pease's "Barbary Coast" - this blend is earthy and slightly sweet, with a boozy top note. There's a lot going on in this blend, but it is a surprisingly repeatable smoke.

Peterson's "Irish Flake" - now we're in the big boy territory, son! A big wallop of air, flue, and dark-fired burleys. A lot of vitamin N on this one. My advice is to make your flakes fine, and smoke in a somewhat larger pipe. Though maybe smoke a small amount at first if you are sensitive to nicotine.
LOL “winning team”. Opposed to obvious losers VA/Per or English?
Either way, funny.
😆

Reactions: K.E. Powell

Auxsender

Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
You’d hardly know it from reading this thread but there are actually other companies that produce pipe tobacco that aren’t Cornell and Diehl.
Watch City Cigar has some great burley blends like Waltham Broken Cake and Deluxe Crumb Cut among several others. I just tried HU Makhuwa for the first time last night and loved it. Sutliff makes a Ready Rubbed Match that’s good but not as good as Makhuwa in my opinion. Esoterica Tilbury is cool but I would never pay aftermarket prices for it because to me, it’s just not worth $25/ounce.

Ok fine, Cornell and Diehl’s Burley Flake #1 is very good.
There, I said it.
😝

• Haha
Reactions: Mortamyhr

Auxsender

Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
But C&D makes some of the best burley blends (IMO)

That being said, I do love many of the WCC blends as well as the Ken Byron blends.
People love Ken Byron Ventures Burley Morning Pipe. It’s fine. It’s not bad. It just hasn’t truly spoken to me in a way that I can fully understand yet. Makhuwa on the other hand was like a warm mug of hot chocolate with half the sugar. It’s both familiar and new to me which reads as ridiculous but that’s the only way I know how to describe the feeling it gave me. It’s my new/old buddy.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon