PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

fishmansf

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
I’ve been really enjoying burley blends lately. It started out this thanksgiving when I bought cake of LJP TGD. I love that deep earth, savory, nutty, mushroomy, barky flavor of burley in that blend. I’ve also REALLY enjoyed C&D Old Joe Krantz because of that rich, almost cigar-esque, salty flavor burly provides. However, other than those two blends I’ve been having a hard time finding other similar blends. HH Burley Flake tastes like nothing else but Virginia to me and bites hard no matter how I smoke it. Solan I Aged Burley Flake is the same to me. What other recommendations do you have that have that rich, savory burley flavor to them?

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Erik Stokkebye 4th Gen 1931 flake.

The burley here is blended with a bit of black cavendish and Virginia, and (lightly) topped with honey. I was a bit hesitant at first, because of the topping, but it's well-measured and never cloying.
And there's a curious little sour/savory note to balance out the subtle hint of honey. The flakes themselves are not very robust, so they are easy to rub out or crumble/stuff into a pipe.

There's something about it that seemed "gourmet" to me (for lack of a more suitable term) and not at all like a codger/otc burley that's packaged as ribbons in a tub.

In this category, I'm sure many would consider Solani's Aged Burley Flake to be a gold standard, but 1931 gets my vote.

DeerparkDays

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2022
Dannevirke, New Zealand
Hey Fishmansf! Cool profile pic, looks like your wife/partner is happily onboard with your pipe!
I’m relatively new here, for my two cents I love McBaron Symphony and Amphora Burley Blend. Always are blends that hit the spot for me, burns well and tastes great. They are probably not the coolest or most exciting of blends but just darn good enjoyable smokes.
If you do get one to try, please let me know what you think, kind regards, Adam.

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
If you like Old Joe Krantz, you may very well like Haunted Bookshop. They contain the same constituent tobaccos, just in different proportions. I like them both but tend to reach for HB more often. I find it to be a little less bold, a touch lighter in nicotine without quite as much Perique. They both have their place in my rotation.

fishmansf

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
Erik Stokkebye 4th Gen 1931 flake.

The burley here is blended with a bit of black cavendish and Virginia, and (lightly) topped with honey. I was a bit hesitant at first, because of the topping, but it's well-measured and never cloying.
And there's a curious little sour/savory note to balance out the subtle hint of honey. The flakes themselves are not very robust, so they are easy to rub out or crumble/stuff into a pipe.

There's something about it that seemed "gourmet" to me (for lack of a more suitable term) and not at all like a codger/otc burley that's packaged as ribbons in a tub.

In this category, I'm sure many would consider Solani's Aged Burley Flake to be a gold standard, but 1931 gets my vote.

I'll give it a try! Thanks for the advice.

fishmansf

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
Hey Fishmansf! Cool profile pic, looks like your wife/partner is happily onboard with your pipe!
I’m relatively new here, for my two cents I love McBaron Symphony and Amphora Burley Blend. Always are blends that hit the spot for me, burns well and tastes great. They are probably not the coolest or most exciting of blends but just darn good enjoyable smokes.
If you do get one to try, please let me know what you think, kind regards, Adam.
She's not the biggest fan but she tolerates it which is much more than I can ask for! I'll have to give those a try. In general Im a big fan of MacB but haven't tried much outside of HH Burley Flake and Navy Flake. Thanks for the advice!

fishmansf

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
If you like Old Joe Krantz, you may very well like Haunted Bookshop. They contain the same constituent tobaccos, just in different proportions. I like them both but tend to reach for HB more often. I find it to be a little less bold, a touch lighter in nicotine without quite as much Perique. They both have their place in my rotation.
Alright, you have me all excited about haunted book shop! I might have to stop by my B&M tonight to pick some up.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Alright, you have me all excited about haunted book shop! I might have to stop by my B&M tonight to pick some up.

I like it best in a pipe with a 13/16” chamber or larger. Just my $0.02

If you want to add some sweetness, add stoved VA (like Sutliff Stoved VA 507-S), let it sit for a couple weeks or so. I rub out the flakes & mix into the HB, ratio of 30% stoved to 70% Haunted Bookshop.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
fishmansf, i really like your highly developed description of the glories of burley, being a burley devotee myself. I think C&D did a lot to develop burley as a base and constituent tobacco in pipe blends going back to their Pennsylvania and North Carolina days before joining Laudisi.

Needless to say, taste in blends is highly subjective so sampling over time is probably the way to find your particular favorites.

I like many C&D burley inclusive blends. Their English Stratfordshire and Tuggle Hall are somewhat unique. I too like Old Joe Krantz, and I also like Billy Budd with cigar leaf. Right now i have Bayou Night and Mountain Camp (with the same tobaccos in different proportions) in my rotation.

I think SWR is good, and I like SWR Aromatic, burley based with Virginia as a condiment with three liqueurs as flavoring.

Amphora Burley, Edward G. Robinson, Granger, and Semois thick and medium cut (the Belgium burley variant) all appeal to me, along with many others.

I remember fondly Nat Sherman 536, a refined English with burley as a condiment, and am saving a sealed tin for the future. I like GLP Barbary Coast based in cube cut burley with Virginia and Perique as condiments and brandy as a flavoring. A member sent me a tin of Esoterica Tilbury with burley as a condiment and I am enjoying that right along.

Burley in all its varieties is an excellent leaf, whether in the old traditional blends or some of the newer and premium blends, and I appreciate you delineation of all of its facets and nuance.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I like c&d dark burley. It’s a major component in many of c&d’s burley blends. Smoke some dark burley straight and it will really give you an idea of what gives these blends their base and /or backbone. I suggest giving it a few smokes at least. Without the perique or lat it may seem plain at first, but with a little patience and care the nuances will come out