PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome from Kanas City! I do some pipe restoration as a hobby, and I really enjoy briar--it's variety of grain, it's ability to recover from neglect, and it's potential for silky smoothness and deep shine.
Any time you wish, we'd love to see some of your work. Before and after if you have some photos, post away!

Reactions: anotherbob

Marie

Might Stick Around
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
H
Welcome from Kanas City! I do some pipe restoration as a hobby, and I really enjoy briar--it's variety of grain, it's ability to recover from neglect, and it's potential for silky smoothness and deep shine.
Hello out there in Kansas City! Briar is new to me. I read about it after seeing your reply, and I am attracted to the plateaux part of the burl block. It reminds of olive wood which is one of my favorites from a wood grain visual perspective. Especially after it is finished to make the dancing of the knots stand out. Just watched a brief briar pipe restoration video
The difference after applying the conditioner to the briar was stunning! Wow! 😃 Are there any types of pipes that you have worked with where the wood is more challenging to restore? Or are they all within a similar working range?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
LOL...we still have the stunt drivers here en masse! Wonderful you find yourself around friendlier folk. Hear hear to that! Especially in these times.

You have surely experienced a more welcoming Los Angeles than I! I arrived in the late 90s, and like most had learned quickly how truly closed the circles of creativity actually were/are. How much luck and maintaining a constant awareness at the front of influential minds was a driver of success more than talent. A thick skin doesn't begin to describe the invisible shield one must carry. I admire anyone who has the tenacity to navigate and maintain a working presence in this industry. The turnover and churning-out of discouraged dreamers is great indeed!

What I still enjoy most about LA are those that have traveled from other countries over the years and have found a way to flourish with their communities here and integrate into greater Los Angeles in their own way. The urban sprawl seems to just make room for everyone (even with the traffic having returned back to full congestion). It makes me think about major hubs for international shipping and trade and their timeless everywhere in the world no matter the civilization. Locate the major ports of trade, and the people follow.

I do enjoy Persian food, Thai, Japanese, Mexican, Chinese as well. Have not yet tried Islamic Chinese food..this sounds very intriguing! The delis are still here. However in general with inflation, there is more going-out-of-business creeping in. More and more brick and mortar establishments remain empty. Then there seems to be an increasing tension in the air and an edginess to drivers on the roads. Something well beyond the usual one would experience prior to the pandemic. I find myself ever more the observer of nature and the people in it for any signs of things potentially taking a left turn.
The Islamic Chinese restaurant was in the San Gabriel Valley, which is where you’ll find the best Asian food in the area, including fabulous dim sum. Check out Ocean Bo. There’s also a very good dim sum restaurant at the southeast corner of Ventura Boulevard and Laurel Canyon, 2nd floor. There’s also a terrific Argentinian restaurant on Brand Blvd in Glendale with fabulous chimichuri.
Have you been to Descanso Gardens in Montrose. It’s a beautiful place to escape the crazy.

Hopefully production will pickup soon, but the market will likely continue to be volatile.

In the meantime, we dance!

Marie

Might Stick Around
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
The Islamic Chinese restaurant was in the San Gabriel Valley, which is where you’ll find the best Asian food in the area, including fabulous dim sum. Check out Ocean Bo. There’s also a very good dim sum restaurant at the southeast corner of Ventura Boulevard and Laurel Canyon, 2nd floor. There’s also a terrific Argentinian restaurant on Brand Blvd in Glendale with fabulous chimichuri.
Have you been to Descanso Gardens in Montrose. It’s a beautiful place to escape the crazy.

Hopefully production will pickup soon, but the market will likely continue to be volatile.

In the meantime, we dance!
A humble thank you for the recommendations! I haven't spent as much time in San Gabriel Valley, however I love to drive so I am up for the trip. Haven't had dim sum in forever! Last time was decades ago in Boston's back bay during my college years. Definitely will try to make my way over to the Ventura/Laurel dim sum. Further north by Chandler on Laurel there is a great russian pocket (markets/takeout/restaurant) I frequent a couple times a year. I do enjoy the Argentinian chimichuri, thank you for the Glendale location (I really like the Glendale/Pasadena area). Not sure if you tried Fogo de Chao or it was here during the time you were in LA? Beautiful Brazilian BBQ. There is also a smaller Brazilian BBQ stall in the Farmer's Market at 3rd & Fairfax. Always long lines there.

I have been to Descanso Gardens and the Huntington Bontanical. I enjoyed Descanso more. I appreciate the architectural landscaping, yet am partial to the blooming florals. Thankfully the tickets for Descanso are still decent. the Huntington charges $25-29 for off-peak entry. Have you been to the Oregon Vortex? It seems incredibly intruiging.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
Not sure if you tried Fogo de Chao or it was here during the time you were in LA? Beautiful Brazilian BBQ. There is also a smaller Brazilian BBQ stall in the Farmer's Market at 3rd & Fairfax. Always long lines there.
Welcome from another one in LA. Me too I came to LA as you in the late 90'. And funny as tonight I just went to Fogo de Chao as well as I know well the Brazilian BBQ in the Farmer's Market which is cheaper and not that much different in quality (reason why there are always long lines)

Marie

Might Stick Around
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
Welcome from another one in LA. Me too I came to LA as you in the late 90'. And funny as tonight I just went to Fogo de Chao as well as I know well the Brazilian BBQ in the Farmer's Market which is cheaper and not that much different in quality (reason why there are always long lines)
Hello fellow Angelino! I miss the mini lamb chops at Fogo...the best! :)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Oregon vortex? I’ll have to check it out.
I moved up here a year ago while working on a show for Warner Brothers, transitioned to another show and have been unemployed for a month, so I haven’t had time to see anything.
The Brazilian eatery in Farmers Market is a relative newcomer. I haven’t tried it. Farmers Market is one place I always make time to visit when I pop into LA. Been going there for over 50 years.
Pretty good Persian food in Glendale. Try Shiraz.
Descanso is a treasure, one of the few things that I will miss about LA.
If you are into Holiday related stuff, check out Toluca Lake around Halloween and Christmas. The neighborhood south of the village goes all out with elaborate decorations.
LA’s decline started in the ‘80’s as housing prices began to climb, and the population grew. We gained a lot of glitz but gradually lost the magic.
People who weren’t around before have no idea.
Paved paradise, put in a parking lot.

Reactions: Marie

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Further north by Chandler on Laurel there is a great russian pocket (markets/takeout/restaurant) I frequent a couple times a year.
Gettin' all nostalgic over here! I grew up on Addison Street just west of Laurel Cyn., hung out all around this area. Is Kulak's Woodshed still there? I used to shoulder my way through the oleander bushes and walk along the defunct train tracks, well before they built the Orange Line.

Most of that stuff is all long gone now. Just memories remain...

Marie

Might Stick Around
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
Gettin' all nostalgic over here! I grew up on Addison Street just west of Laurel Cyn., hung out all around this area. Is Kulak's Woodshed still there? I used to shoulder my way through the oleander bushes and walk along the defunct train tracks, well before they built the Orange Line.

Most of that stuff is all long gone now. Just memories remain...
Kulak's Woodshed appears to be alive and kickin'. Not sure if you ever happened by The Iliad Bookshop? They moved to Cahuenga at Chandler. Still just as popular as ever.

Reactions: Servant King

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Kulak's Woodshed appears to be alive and kickin'. Not sure if you ever happened by The Iliad Bookshop? They moved to Cahuenga at Chandler. Still just as popular as ever.
Good to know. The Iliad was at Cahuenga/Chandler for as long as I can remember, but I was more of a Dutton's guy, chiefly due to proximity (SE corner of Laurel Cyn. & Magnolia). It is now a yoga studio; of course!

Marie

Might Stick Around
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
Good to know. The Iliad was at Cahuenga/Chandler for as long as I can remember, but I was more of a Dutton's guy, chiefly due to proximity (SE corner of Laurel Cyn. & Magnolia). It is now a yoga studio; of course!
So...many...yoga..studios...🙄 I think I even saw a yoga studio for dogs somewhere here in LA while I was driving around a while back. LA never misses an opportunity to create a business to pamper the human and everything living around it by extension. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Servant King

Marie

Might Stick Around
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
Welcome from another new pipe smoker in Connecticut!
Hi fellow new pipe smoker in Connecticut! How is your pipe journey going?

I am watching the sunrise out my window while having a first cup of tea and listening to on the ground updates by folks across the nation about the goings-on in the US that don't make it to the mainstream news. Decided to crack open a tin of Bengal Slices for some crumble kake exploration. Definitely enjoyed the smokiness, spice and florals. Took me to thoughts of baked goods from India infused with florals, masala chai with its spice blend and russian caravan with its lapsong souchong. High number of relights though so will continue to experiment, and I did not enjoy smoking this in my nosewarmer. It felt like I had my face right in the middle of a campfire. I want the bowl a little further out from under my nose.
:sher:

Reactions: AreBee
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Hi fellow new pipe smoker in Connecticut! How is your pipe journey going?

I am watching the sunrise out my window while having a first cup of tea and listening to on the ground updates by folks across the nation about the goings-on in the US that don't make it to the mainstream news. Decided to crack open a tin of Bengal Slices for some crumble kake exploration. Definitely enjoyed the smokiness, spice and florals. Took me to thoughts of baked goods from India infused with florals, masala chai with its spice blend and russian caravan with its lapsong souchong. High number of relights though so will continue to experiment, and I did not enjoy smoking this in my nosewarmer. It felt like I had my face right in the middle of a campfire. I want the bowl a little further out from under my nose.
:sher:

Your introduction thread has been one of the more engaging and filled with content greater than “Hello from ...” ones I can recall seeing here. You might consider posting in the “What Are You Smoking?” threads that get posted each month. There’s an endless array of pipes and tobaccos to look at and read about, plus latest goings on in various members’ lives.

Marie

Might Stick Around
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
Your introduction thread has been one of the more engaging and filled with content greater than “Hello from ...” ones I can recall seeing here. You might consider posting in the “What Are You Smoking?” threads that get posted each month. There’s an endless array of pipes and tobaccos to look at and read about, plus latest goings on in various members’ lives.
Thanks for your feedback. :) I will do that.

Reactions: TheIronMonkey