PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
I lament the lack of pipe tobacco shops here in LA! Mostly vape, hookah cigars..and weed, like sushi restaurants on every corner...yet the desert emerges for one seeking pipe tobacco selections.
Although I haven’t been there since it changed hands several years ago, the Cigar Warehouse in Sherman Oaks used to have a decent selection of pipe tobacco. I’m not aware of any other shops currently in existence that cater to pipe smokers in the LA area.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Yes...slow and steady, the ideal observational speed. You are right in the thick of the grapevine, must be nice to have some space from other humans. Even with LA sprawl it still feels a bit congested at times.
Not as much space as I'd like (I currently hear dogs, machinery and rednecks as I type this), but seeing as I spent the first 30 years of my life in LA, it's certainly a step up.

@warren99 Tobacco Trader in West LA is the last one left. Good selection (albeit a bit pricey) and nice folks who run it, but I feel like they're fighting an uphill battle.

Reactions: warren99 and Marie

Marie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
Although I haven’t been there since it changed hands several years ago, the Cigar Warehouse in Sherman Oaks used to have a decent selection of pipe tobacco. I’m not aware of any other shops currently in existence that cater to pipe smokers in the LA area.
I was at the Cigar Warehouse in Sherman Oaks a couple years ago and they had all but dispensed of any pipe tobacco on-hand except for one generic that I can't even remember if it had a brand or not. They also eschewed any aromatic pipe or cigar smoking which they said interfered with the experiences of non-aromatic cigar smoking indoors. They kindly offered their outdoor seating area as an alternative. It could be different by now with the inventory since I haven't been back there. No complaints, they run a good establishment from what I could tell.

Marie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
Not as much space as I'd like (I currently hear dogs, machinery and rednecks as I type this), but seeing as I spent the first 30 years of my life in LA, it's certainly a step up.

@warren99 Tobacco Trader in West LA is the last one left. Good selection (albeit a bit pricey) and nice folks who run it, but I feel like they're fighting an uphill battle.
Yes...but you are not so far away from the Oak Tree Gun Club! That place is so fun for shooting...and they have a free tree stump for knife throwing right across from their rifle range. I have a couple of uzi masada axes that I enjoyed throwing there. I haven't tried their skeet shooting. Just the pistol, rifle and archery ranges so far.

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
I was at the Cigar Warehouse in Sherman Oaks a couple years ago and they had all but dispensed of any pipe tobacco on-hand except for one generic that I can't even remember if it had a brand or not. They also eschewed any aromatic pipe or cigar smoking which they said interfered with the experiences of non-aromatic cigar smoking indoors. They kindly offered their outdoor seating area as an alternative. It could be different by now with the inventory since I haven't been back there. No complaints, they run a good establishment from what I could tell.
Sorry to hear that. Larry Wagner, the former owner, was a pipe smoker as well as a cigar smoker, so he stocked a pretty good selection of bulk and tinned tobaccos as well as pipes. He also owned a separate pipe shop, The Buccaneer, at the Galleria before the mall was renovated annd converted into a restaurant/office/theater complex.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marie
Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
Hello varietal polymath! The insatiable curiosity to learn in every direction never ends! lol Sometimes it can be truly exhausting. It has been upsetting seeing Texas endure so much extreme weather and fires lately. How are you guys holding up?
I gave my heart to know wisdom, to know madness and folly; I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit.
For in much wisdom is much grief; he that increases knowledge, increases sorrow.

As long as ↓Immelmann↓ and his ladies are doing well, the weather couldn't be nicer.
20240614_193408.jpg

Marie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
I gave my heart to know wisdom, to know madness and folly; I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit.
For in much wisdom is much grief; he that increases knowledge, increases sorrow.

As long as ↓Immelmann↓ and his ladies are doing well, the weather couldn't be nicer.
View attachment 317712
The path of adversity to know thyself is indeed sorrowful, if not for the refreshment of striving for balance through tension and humble tending to the needs of divinity around where we each stand.

Marie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
Yes, at the VERY beginning. LOL I am learning MSA/Classical arabic at the same time. So it's extremely slow going. Yet I like toggling back and forth between the languages. The arabic I have been chipping away at more, although my choice to settle into classical/MSA doesn't help with communication because almost everyone uses a local dialect to converse. I am just drawn more to the pre-Islamic period with the poetry and mysticism. The Latin I still need to use a translator to participate (even if clumsily or not intelligible), yet when listening to a podcast (I like Legio XIII - https://www.youtube.com/@LegioXIII ), I can make out some of the words. I have some textbooks, and enjoy reading english translations of classical greek and latin philosophers and poets. Definitely not a scholar, just someone who is gently trying to further my mind when I can spare the time. :)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Welcome to the forum from The Center Of The Known Universe!

Ashland Oregon

Ex Angelino here. The Cigar Warrhouse switched hands about a decade ago and is worthless for pipe tobacco. Your only option in LA proper is Tobacco Trader on the west side. They are a proper pipe tobacco store with a very good selection.

Reactions: Marie

Marie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
Welcome to the forum from The Center Of The Known Universe!

Ashland Oregon

Ex Angelino here. The Cigar Warrhouse switched hands about a decade ago and is worthless for pipe tobacco. Your only option in LA proper is Tobacco Trader on the west side. They are a proper pipe tobacco store with a very good selection.
Hello Ex Angelino! I have been in LA for more than twenty years (would prefer almost any serene countryside at this point to this sprawl if it weren't for the diverse cultural and artistic melting pot here). Thank you for the background on CW, and the recommend with TT on the west side. I will make the trip! How do you like Ashland?