PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
My bad. Of course I meant Davidoff. How's their tobacco supply? When there a few years ago I had the impression that you could get at least some premium blends (of course, for a premium price!)
I’ve passed by it hundreds of times but never gone in. Their cigar prices are absurd and assumed their pipes and tobaccos are similarly marked up. I’ll have to go in and have a look when I stsrt going in to the city again.

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
Stopped by the last time I was in that city and the old couple that I think bought it were there alone and clearly had no idea what they were doing.

Not to be too negative, but would anyone who actually knew about pipes and the state of the tobacco industry choose to buy a B&M? It would seem such a business venture would only be more advisable than purchasing a Blockbuster Video.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Boda Pipes in Greenville, SC have employees who are very knowledgeable about pipes and tobacco.

Thx for the post. Next time I’m in the area, I’ll pay a visit.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
I see the odd pipe smoker, one every 5 years or so... I enjoy when people see me smoking in the park, though I don’t do it for attention... -Carry the torch and burn your pipe brighter then:)
Go to Barclay-Rex. First rate operation.I encourage you.I miss them.What happened to DeLaConcha?,were they absorbed by Davidoff?I remember Davidoff had their own shop back in the 90s. That's where I learned about Cornell and Diehl tobacco.They had tall glass jars full of various Cornell and Diehl mixtures.I bought a pipe from them that day.It was a great experience.

Reactions: anotherbob

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
At the Home Dept in my area customer service and product service is dismal. Employees in the aisles will tell you that they don't know and refer you to another employee.

Had this happen at Wal-Mart earlier today. Had to ask 4 employees and a manager (4 total people) where in the store a item was and they couldn't even figure out if they sold the item (a plastic cup car ashtray usually found at any smoke shop or dollar store). It is sad where our society is headed making the movie "Idiocracy" a future documentary.

Back in the day there were specialty shops where the owners knew the products they sold and wanted the customers to be happy so they would return and tell their friends as well. These days they couldn't give a rats ass if you never come back because their will be a line of other people driving across town to save $.2 cents.

Sorry for the rant but I agree 100% we are moving backwards.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
When I was between jobs in 2009 I got a part time job selling boots and shoes in a big box store. I decided to educate myself in how to measure feet using one of those metal contraptions. THe local utility bought their employees two pair of boots per year. Most of the men had never had their feet measured. Most bought length to compensate for width which resulted in the arch being too far forward. Some came back to say their feet never felt better. At the time I was making $8 per hour.

I was already thinking so, but now I realize that I need to support my local shop. Right now I woild like to find one of those fat "author" shaped briars with an acrylic stems. Instead of searching eBay and online sources, I'm going to see what the shop owner can find. If I wind up paying more, I figure its just the price of making sure I can drive three miles and get my Lakatia blends in the future.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I traveled my butt off during the '70s and '80s, and to this very day can't find my ass. But B & Ms were pretty much everywhere. Whenever I found myself in a motel in a strange town, I'd look through the Yellow Pages (remember those?) to locate local tobacconists. If any looked interesting, I'd plan a visit for the next morning. No reason, other than to see what the place looked like and to absorb a bit of the local atmosphere. Almost always got cigars and maybe a pipe. I must have visited hundreds, it seems like. My favorite was the one down by the old riverfront in Savannah, GA., though it wasn't the most extensive. Houston had a couple of really good ones. Detroit, etc. Little towns in between. Wish I'd kept a log.

Anyhow, I can't remember any terrifically knowledgeable owners or personnel in any of those places even back then, with one exception, and he was local. I always got the impression I was being bullshitted. Many times, I was absolutely certain. My point is that I don't really miss talking with "experts" in a tobacco shop. What I do miss is the sometimes vast array of briar and cigars on display. Yours to be had for mere money! And the scents, the scents that made life worth living! (Yes, I'm a scent frotteur.)

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Last time I was in a shop like that, I was in process of jumping over the counter to beat some sense into the salesperson's head when my father held me back. They sold a crap set of bagpipes and started to tell me what a great instrument it was. The damned thing was dried up firewood and I wouldn't even use it as firewood.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sounds a little like the old owner gave this retired couple a sales pitch. Unfortunately, pipes and pipe tobacco are a small specialty niche, like model railroads or advanced knitting, and an owner has to know the esoteric information to be able to function at all. That couple probably needed a little convenience store in a high-foot-traffic area. The pipe smokers will stop coming in, and the old couple will start selling glass pipes, potato chips, and soft drinks. Kinda sad. I'd be tempted to try to give them some threads to pull, suggest web sites where they could get the feel of the business like the sites of our sponsors. It sounds like they don't have the interest.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Those of you that like your common otc blends, need to talk to local gas stations. Every time we move, I ask the closest small gas stations if they can stock Carter Hall for me and usually they can and will.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I never understood how you could operate a job or business without A having a interest in the product and the community around it or B willing to learn about that product or community. I tend to avoid all the chains of business. If I want to DIY I go to a smaller chain which operates franchise only businesses, the ppl behind the counter or sawing table are very knowledgeable, I deliver a drawing, that afternoon can pick up all the needed materials, including hardware. Liquor I visit a small local operated store, which are also importing their own wine. Tobacco is heavily regulated, having a tobaconist without a passion for it your store is doomed and most ppl I talk to are enthusiastic and knowledgeable. To bad the amount of blends is not that big, ordering in Germany is an option. Last time I ordered something in my order wasnt in stock, requested for a replacement and wasnt disappointed!

Reactions: Servant King