PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Cosmic I really got the sense the old couple had maybe just bought themselves a retirement gig. They are well past traditional retirement age - I’m thinking mid to late 70s? - and clearly have no understanding of the industry, the products, the local market (which is a huge deal since this little shop is truly an anchor business in the thriving downtown foot traffic area) or the existing customer base.

Seems like they bought a daytime job to stay busy. I might be wrong of course but that’s my impression. For about a year each time I stopped in the old owner and/or an experienced counter staff was present but seemed to be coaching them along. This last time they were alone.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Next time someone finds themselves in a store where the owner doesn't seem to know what the hell they're doing, ask them what got them into that situation. "Why did you buy a ----- business?" Be genuinely curious. Try not to come across as an a$$hole. Just try to get them to tell you why.

The guy I mentioned above who started the healthfood store is like 300 lbs. I am tempted to march over there and ask him. It baffles me, things like this.
This, and all of the people who start businesses who have no idea what all is involved. My neighborhood is called an "Old Town." Down here we have these quaint little store fronts with businesses constantly opening and closing. People getting into a mess because they just had no clue. For example to get utilities for a business runs 3X's more for a business. Water, electricity, cable, internet, phone, anything that you have to utilize for business purposes cost way more. That, and advertising. I don't know how many geniuses opened a biz thinking that they could rely on people driving by or walking in. It's just not gonna happen. And, capital. You have to be prepared for going at least 6 months making no money. I think some suggest a few years. If you start stealing from your store to pay your home mortgage, you are headed for that Going Out of Business Sale.
What makes these people think that just having enough money to get the doors open is enough? Do they not teach business skills in school?
One of the ones I love is.... A business will open and be successful and then a few months latter two or three almost identical businesses will open and all of them will close shortly.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I would think most of the long time members do not need a knowledgeable clerk when buying tobacco products in person. I simply want a clerk who can read the cash register and provide the correct change, handle a credit card transaction, and a bag for the product I purchased.

And, cosmic and others are absolutely correct, very few first time business owners understand the degree of commitment, financial and personal, required to insure even the ghost of a chance of success.

Cosmic I really got the sense the old couple had maybe just bought themselves a retirement gig.
My mother and her husband did that. They took part of their retirement to buy a meat and three sort of place. They had a hang out where they would set and drink coffee all day and smoke cigarettes. When the business told them that they were about to close, my mom wanted to save their hang out. I threw a fit, but parents... they never listen. They let their friends hang out all day drinking free coffee and smoking till they also lost their money. You can't make money off of free loaders. A coffee house only works if you sell each cup of coffee for at least $7. And, even then, I wouldn't encourage people to hang out, using you restroom that cost you 3X's as much to flush as it does at home.
The only way to make a little money in the restaurant biz is to start with a LOT of money.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Boda Pipes in Greenville, SC have employees who are very knowledgeable about pipes and tobacco. In fact, they all smoke pipes and cigars. I've only been in there once and was very impressed. I'm not affiliated with the shop or their employees. Just a satisfied customer. To my knowledge their the only pipe shop in the Greenville area.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
If I am going to pay $25 a tin or an extra 50% or more for a cigar at the local shop, it's because I want something now, or that I can't find online. Or maybe to get a suggestion or hear what might be new from the staff or BS and have a smoke and watch a game with other customers (Well, before, and hopefully after the plague). To handle and inspect the available pipes or cigars....

In most places, the only advantage a B&M has is the personal touch and a sense of immediacy. Very few can compete on price or selection with the online shops. So if you're not going all in on service and convenience, seems like you're just waiting for SmokingPipes and the rest to siphon off so much of your revenue that you'll be forced to close.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
There's a JR Cigars outlet near my house that stocked a modest selection of renamed bulk blends (nothing to write home about), pipe supplies, a few pipes (I think it was exclusively Savinelli, and those were hilariously overpriced) but they also carried a great selection of tins: Mac Baren, G&H, SG, Rattray's, and McClelland. And they had a couple of pipe smokers among their generally knowledgeable staff. The tins took up about1/15th of their display space, if that. I would frequently stop in there, smoke a pipe, and peruse the tins. I always bought a tin or two, or some cigars, and just enjoyed hanging out and talking with the staff or other customers. 2 or 3 years ago they packed up all of their pipe tobacco and just stopped carrying it in the store. Consequently, I've only been back there once or twice.

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
There are some good B&M shops but pretty they mostly cater to cigar smokers. Pipe stock consists of a few Peterson’s and some renamed bulk blends. On the plus side staff has always been good, the cigar selection is great, and the prices are fair. Great for cigars smokers, sucks for pipe smokers. I think pipes are just too small of a niche to support a small business in 2021.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
Sadly, I've been in no shortage of established cigar and pipe stores where the Proprietor or Clerks had little to no clue of what they were talking about. And it certainly isn't isolated to pipes and cigars. Lowes and Home Depot started with the concept of having experts at DYI that would be readily available to assist the Homeowner. Now, you have to walk through half the store to find someone to answer a question and you're lucky if they know enough to even tell you which aisle the item you're looking for is located.
True experts would want far more money than those outfits would be willing to pay them.

elvishrunes

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2017
If a major city like NYC can’t sustain a single pipe shop I don’t see how there is any future in B&ms anywhere. (There is still Barclay Rex downtown, but I havent been there in years and have no idea how they are doing). Lack of interest, high rents, and a few online mega sellers have put the nail in the coffin. I personally know one person (a mid twenties guy) who smokes a pipe. Everyone else I know thinks its a joke. I haven’t seen a person smoking a pipe in public since I was a kid. Its a niche business with a small and dispersed but dedicated consumer base. Not ripe for a local business.
I see the odd pipe smoker, one every 5 years or so... I enjoy when people see me smoking in the park, though I don’t do it for attention... -Carry the torch and burn your pipe brighter then:)

Last edited:

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I’ve said many times that I really do like to support nice B&M shops, even if that just means buying a couple ounces of bulk or house blends, matches and pipe cleaners, supplies and such.

I’m okay with not being able to pay double or triple or more for tins for my cellar - I order online for that.

I’m okay not getting expert advice from every person behind the counter in every shop - I know what I want and what I’m seeing within reason bounds.

But it’s just intolerable to have the owners talking out their ass about the products they sell, peddling incorrect rumors about product availability or just making up lies to cover up their lack of knowledge.

Old folks bought the shop and want to do it their way? Okay I guess. I’m not the boss of them, but count me out and I just find it sad to experience the changes from what I’ve gotten used to over the years.

Am I a whiner? Yeah, maybe. I’m okay with that, lol. It’s just the world we’re living in I guess.

Just wish the old folks had picked a different shop to mess up. ?

Last edited:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If a major city like NYC can’t sustain a single pipe shop I don’t see how there is any future in B&ms anywhere. (There is still Barclay Rex downtown, but I havent been there in years and have no idea how they are doing). Lack of interest, high rents, and a few online mega sellers have put the nail in the coffin. I personally know one person (a mid twenties guy) who smokes a pipe. Everyone else I know thinks its a joke. I haven’t seen a person smoking a pipe in public since I was a kid. Its a niche business with a small and dispersed but dedicated consumer base. Not ripe for a local business.
I went to Barclay Rex a couple of years ago, and they are ok.
Is Davidson's closed now?

Reactions: danimalia

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Theres a cigar shop in my area with a huge humidor. They only carry an extremely limited pipe tobacco selection relegated to what they can fit behind the counter, but the majority of that is Esoterica blends (when they're available). Go figure....

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Never heard of it. Where is/was it? Only pipe shops in manhattan I know of are Barclay's downtown and Davidoff on Madison which carries a small collection of pipes. Nat Sherman gone. Barclay's midtown gone.
My bad. Of course I meant Davidoff. How's their tobacco supply? When there a few years ago I had the impression that you could get at least some premium blends (of course, for a premium price!)

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I’ve said many times that I really do like to support nice B&M shops, even if that just means buying a couple ounces of bulk or house blends, matches and pipe cleaners, supplies and such.

I’m okay with not being able to pay double or triple or more for tins for my cellar - I order online for that.

I’m okay not getting expert advice from every person behind the counter in every shop - I know what I want and what I’m seeing within reason bounds.

But it’s just intolerable to have the owners talking out their ass about the products they sell, peddling incorrect rumors about product availability or just making up lies to cover up their lack of knowledge.

Old folks bought the shop and want to do it their way? Okay I guess. I’m not the boss of them, but count me out and I just find it sad to experience the changes from what I’ve gotten used to over the years.

Am I a whiner? Yeah, maybe. I’m okay with that, lol. It’s just the world we’re living in I guess.

Just wish the old folks had picked a different shop to mess up. ?
completely. I'd rather have a straight answer that is "I don't know" then someone talking out their asses. Imagine how many people take their advice and think man these pipes suck.