PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
How do you do in the competitions?
@ofafeather I haven't actually taken part yet; I'm thinking about it once the world has recovered from the COVID19 pandemic...
I'd also like to see how long I can make a clay pipe of tobacco last but I keep thinking it's going to go out - the traditional contest is to keep your pipe burning as long as possible without relighting, which is against the rules!
I'm not sure which would impress a Cavalier or Redcoat most; smoking a clay pipe in the shortest or longest time...

• Haha
Reactions: ofafeather

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Maybe you do it differently, but usually a clencher will do so by having the pipe deeper in his mouth, so that both rear and front teeth grasp it, which I see you don 't do, or just the button hooks over the front teeth to facilitate a dangle, which although that seems your style, you lack the requisite teeth or dentures.

If you will, how do you do it?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
The fulcrum principle means that the length of the pipe plays an important role in clenchability - shorter or bent pipes are much more easily clenched.

Look at Moretti pipes. They generally have thick walls, but chamber sizes are fairly standard (4 usually). And Marco will make you one to your specifications for a very reasonable price. He makes them out of briar or morta usually, and olive wood if you request.

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
I’m not a fan of heavy pipes. However I do own a GBD 1950s Dublin that has a enormous bowl. I honestly can’t smoke the whole thing. But it’s incredibly light. And easy to clench. 1B2292E3-DF11-4412-925A-90DB90A79B11.jpeg